Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    I thought i would start a new Thread to see what Brit Movie Members favourite Comics and favourite Comic Strips are, i have always been a big fan of Comics and enjoyed reading many Comics in the 1980's, the first Comic i ever read was Buster Comic starting in 1980, Buster is one of my all time favourite Comics and contained my favourite Comic Strip of all time The Leopard From Lime Street, Buster also contained many more of my favourite Comic Strips including Keen And Mustard, Ivor Lott And Tony Broke, The Byrds Of Paradise Isle, Ben The Bad, Faceache and Chalky, there were many more Comics i read in the 1980's including Beano, Beezer, Dandy, Roy Of The Rovers (another one of my all time favourite Comics), School Fun, Spike, Tiger, Topper, Victor and Warlord, some of my other favourite Comic Strips are The Bash Street Kids, Roger The Dodger, Minnie The Minx (Beano Comic), Desperate Dan, Korky The Cat, The Jocks And The Geordies, Winker Watson (Dandy Comic), Iron Barr, The Man In Black (Spike Comic), Billy's Boots, Nipper, Hot Shot Hamish (Tiger Comic), The Hard Man, Tommy's Troubles, Mighty Mouse, The Safest Hands In Soccer and The Footballer Who Wouldn't Stay Dead (Roy Of The Rovers) there are many more favourite Comic Strips i could mention but they would take up too much space, i have obtained many Comics in excellent or mint condition from ebay (including many Buster Comics) and i have also obtained a lot of old Rupert Annuals in mint condition from ebay.

My favourite Comic Strip The Leopard From Lime Street which appeared in Buster Comic from March

27th 1976 - May 18th 1985

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Can I give another plug to my mate's blog on The Beezer? Thanks.

The Beezer's Golden Years

I had loads of favourites as a kid, and was disgusted when TV Comic replaced the front page Diddymen with Tom and Jerry. I cancelled my subscription!

I'm sure I'll return, but one that often gets forgotten is Winker Watson ... can't find any pictures, but beautiful art by Eric Roberts (it seems).

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The Spider created by Ted Cowan and mostly drawn by Reg Bunn in a great pulp, cross hatching style was a wacky comic about a grotesquely ugly villain who spent most of his time fighting other rival villains. After the first story most of them were written by Superman creator Jerry Siegel who eventually reformed the Spider into a crime fighter and then became slightly better looking but still looked basically like a muscle bound Mr. Spock.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    My favourite comic was called Scoop, it only ran for a few years in the late 70s. I bought it right from issue one, it must have been promoted on TV.

It was a sports comic with strips on a goalkeeper, a striker, tennis player etc. I think it merged with Victor and all the characters were lost.

It seems to have been totally forgotten, wish I'd have kept them.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Vailiant for me it was awseome

Senior Member Country: Scotland bruiser15's Avatar
    Liked
    50 times
    Battle Picture Weekly

which contained in it's time, amongst numerous others, two of the greatest wartime strips in the shape of

Johnny Red written by Tom Tully and drawn initially by Joe Colquhoun, later by John Cooper

and

Charley's War written by Pat Mills and drawn by Joe Colquhoun

The later in my opinion should be used in schools in teaching about WW1

there is a good site here about Johnny Red with links to other Battle stuff

Falcon Squadron

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    The Leopard from Lime Street, wow.... there's a blast from the past! I loved that strip as a kid.

Roy of the Rovers was another of my favourites, the story itself and the comic which also included The Safest Hands in Soccer.

I was also a big fan of 200AD which I collected from the first issue.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010, was an important day in my collection, for I finally, after many, many years, completed, with number 65, my set of 88 World Distributors Movie Classic comics that were issued in the UK between 1955 and 1960. British issues of American DELL comics, I had a lot of them when I was a child and I already had collected 51 of them before I started collecting them on eBay over eight years ago. So it's taken me over eight years, since February, 2002, to track down the remaining 37 issues. Got 'em all now! They were all printed at the now long gone CWS printing works in Reddish, Stockport (my home town as a child). Below is a favourite, number 83, released in late 1959 / early 1960. This CinemaScope film was considered fantastic at the time. I went to see it in 1960, when I was 13.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i was spoiled-i used to buy 'the beano','the dandy','whizzer and chips' and another that i can't remember the title of? (it may have been 'topper'?)

does anyone remember a short lived horror 'comic' from the early 1980s called 'scream'?

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Regarding weekly comics, I started out with Dandy around 1953, moved on to Sun around 1956; Express Weekly in 1958; Comet in 1958 and Tiger in 1959. I stopped having the Tiger in 1962 when I was 15 and never had another weekly comic. In between, I collected Classics Illustrated; Movie Classic; Cowboy Picture Library , with its various characters such as Buck Jones; Kit Carson and Kansas Kid and various cowboy comics such as Cisco Kid; Hopalong Cassidy; Johnny Mack Brown; Roy Rogers; and The Range Rider.

Oh, yes, before I forget, I also remember having the Beezer every week from 1958 for a while and I loved reading about Cap'n Hand and his Merry Mutineers; The Hillies and The Billies and The Kings Of Castaway Island. I must have liked it, because I got the Beezer annual for Christmas around 1958. My parents always made sure I had plenty to read.

Member Country: England ILoveThe70s's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Two from the 70's: Cor! (which sounds like it should be a 'lads mag', but was a children's comic) and Shiver and Shake, in which every story had some supernatural or horror theme.

Liked
    50 times
    name='jaycad']i was spoiled-i used to buy 'the beano','the dandy','whizzer and chips' and another that i can't remember the title of? (it may have been 'topper'?)

does anyone remember a short lived horror 'comic' from the early 1980s called 'scream'?

Very much so I was rather fond of Scream at the time, so does someone else it seems

SCREAM

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The First comics I bought as a kid were Monster Fun and Plug, I was also a big fan of Action which was banned for a short time due to its excessive gore and Violence, the stand out story was Hook-Jaw, a very bloody strip about a killer great white shark. I also have fond memories of Valiant with a Dirty Harry style cop called One Eyed Jack, there was also a superhero called The Cobra who may have been in the Hotspur. I also remember Fireball and Starlord, the latter was a companion to 2000ad which introduced one of its most popular characters The Strontonium Dog.

Liked
    50 times
    name='bruiser15']Battle Picture Weekly

which contained in it's time, amongst numerous others, two of the greatest wartime strips in the shape of

Johnny Red written by Tom Tully and drawn initially by Joe Colquhoun, later by John Cooper

and

Charley's War written by Pat Mills and drawn by Joe Colquhoun

The later in my opinion should be used in schools in teaching about WW1

there is a good site here about Johnny Red with links to other Battle stuff

Falcon Squadron

I managed to miss the end off the address in my first post

Falcon Squadron

In it's links at the bottom there are full scans of a lot of Action strips.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Can't remember anything before Beano and Dandy, switched to Sparky for the giveaways and settled into The Hotspur. But there was lots of swapping and reading of other peoples old comics and annuals, especially on rainy days. Later I discovered Oor Wullie, surely the proto-type for Johnny Rotten's visuals ? As for favourite strip it has to be the one and and only "Tough Of The Track - Alf Tupper" !

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Here is the link to a site where you will find lots of interesting information about Buster Comic - Buster Special On Sale Now!

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Lots of Marvel especially Spiderman but mostly 2000AD when the peerless Alan Moore was writing for it.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I was quite spoilt up until my parents lost their jobs, but until then they would buy me every comic out there English and American. Many of those mentioned I would get every week.

Favourites were: Buddy, Scream, Star Lord and Nutty.

It's a real shame that the British comic industry has been reduced to so few titles and that the distribution of American comics means they no longer appear in the paper shops (except English reprints), use to get all excited on finding a new Marvel or DC title hidden away and because there was no returns policy you could find whole runs of comics.

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    During my 1960s/early 70s childhood I was a firm "Beano" devotee, in the days when Biffo The Bear was on the front cover and Dennis The Menace belonged on the back page. My favourite joy within were the hilariously greedy Three Bears, with their incessant plots to raid Hank's Store and avoid the buckshot from his blunderbuss....

Then, from America, like a meteorite, this landed...

...and things were never the same again. My only disappointment was that, on getting it home, I found that my copy did not, alas, contain the Hulk T Shirt transfer. The Fantastic Four were - well, fantastic!

I loved then and still love now the fabulous artwork of Jack "King" Kirby. Monsters were my big thing, and I still have my favourite comic ever, a US import my dad bought me around what? 1971 maybe? Here it is:

Around that time, a good friend of mine alerted me to the fact that an older lad down the street said we could have his old comics for free- a huge stack of 'em which he no longer wanted. This sounded brilliant... until my friend and I arrived at the older youth's house only to encounter a pile of "Victor" and "Hotspur" war type comics (pure boredom in print as far as I was concerned, although I know some kids loved them). What a let down! I had never felt such disappointment; yet felt so guilty after the other lad's well meant gesture!

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    As a child, I loved Peanuts, Momma, and Family Circus. Somewhere in my teens I got hooked on the Archie and Sabrina comics. Loved Calvin and Hobbes when it first came out. I still like to read Foxtrot, Jump Street, and The Wizard of Id.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast