Senior Member Country: UK SwingingLondon's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Anyone know where I can get a copy of this TV play about the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster? I haven't seen it since 1975 & remember it as being very good. Anyone else remember it?

It's a Lovely Day Tomorrow (1975) (TV)

'A recreation of a wartime incident which occurred in London's Bethnal Green underground station, in which 173 people died when a panicked crowd stampeded.'

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I can't help you with the play itself, which I'm pleased to say exists, but you might be interested in this article, which has the headline 'One Woman Trapped ... and 173 Died':

The panicking crowd rushed for shelter in the underground station. A woman trapped at the foot of the stairs ... within minutes 173 people were dead in a pile of bodies 10 deep. The story of the worst crowd disaster in British history is told in Wednesday's documentary It's a Lovely Day Tomorrow. By JONATHAN HUNT:

I remember reading about this for the first time in The Times some years ago. It must have been to commemorate the 50th anniversary and there was a small photo of a woman to accompany the article. It did have a tremendous effect on me and ever since then I've acknowledged the tragedy whenever I think of more recent disasters, such as Bradford and Hillsborough. Two others that occured before my time are Aberfan and the much lesser known Bolton Disaster in 1946. Like Hillsborough, that happened during an F.A. Cup match as well. I've just thought of another - Ibrox. That was definitely the first tragedy I remember seeing on the news. Terrible events all of them.

I will try and find that Bethnal Green article but it could take ages. There are several on the Internet, including this from only last week:

Senior Member Country: UK SwingingLondon's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Interesting stuff, Cornershop.

Hope I can get a copy of the film.

Senior Member Country: UK Nick Cooper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Apart from my interest in the London Underground in FIlms & TV, I have a parallel one of the network during the Seocnd World War. I found that many of the death tolls normally quoted for bombing and other wartime incidents are wrong - some are inflated, but most the opposite - and Bethnal Green is no exception. My research isn't completed, but there is circumstantial evidence that the number who died was 171, not the 173 universally quoted. Obviously this doesn't minimise the tragedy, but one line I'm pursuing is that the "extra two" may actually be a case of compensation fraud (which was rife at the time), rather than bureaucratic error.