Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyStranger View Post
    I see Network raised the old psycho breakdown slasher, Cat & Mouse from the dead, and now tag it a British film. Tenuous? Both leads were non British and the director was Canadian, hmm...
    From what I remember from a film book of every Kirk Douglas film, this was made for US TV as Mousey, but was given a UK theatrical release.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    What makes a British film British ? To my mind the weather outside when you come out

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Under quota rules 75% of actors and creative staff had to be British.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by agutterfan View Post
    From what I remember from a film book of every Kirk Douglas film, this was made for US TV as Mousey, but was given a UK theatrical release.
    Wasn't it shot in England, and produced by Associated London Films - one of their few serious films?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by agutterfan View Post
    Cat and Mouse (AA Cert) was initially released as the second half of a double bill with this feature here

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069924/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

First run of this combo was at the (now demolished) Astoria, Charing Cross Road on 16 May,1974. It lasted one week with ABC General Release 2 weeks later (June 2nd). Adverts and reviews to follow at the weekend if requested since I will have to go four rows down into packing boxes.

Senior Member Country: England DeadlyStranger's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes please. It's a cool film (still have the Thorn tape), but I can't say I particularly think of it as a British one, like a Pete Walker from the era, for example. Was surprised when Network picked it up for a new distro. Hope to see them do a lot more former X certs in future...

One of Jean Seberg's last films of course. The targeted decline of this actress makes disquieting reading. Still a few maddening gaps in her filmography on UK disc, such as Kill! with Stephen Boyd (!) and James Mason (!!), would love to one day get that.

Liked
    23 times
    Having been able to locate the Cat and Mouse file from my collection a bit earlier than expected on this occasion, herewith a few items at short notice.

Craze1.jpg

Craze2.jpg

Anomaly here if one notices. In the first scan the certificate for Cat and Mouse three days prior to the Astoria/New Victoria presentation is an 'X' certificate, whereas others I have for the same venues after the first day and the General Release two weeks later (Item 2) show the customary 'AA' version.

Anomaly No. 2...There are NO reviews I can find of the Cat and Mouse release, whereas the Craze production is well reviewed in many of the London publications. Doesn't seem to be any review in Films and Filming or Photoplay either.

As an extra however here IS a Photoplay article (dated March 1974) of an interview with Jean Seberg during her Pinewood shooting.
    Am struggling to maintain a link with Photobucket, so this scan is the best at present.

SebergPhotoplay.jpg

Hope this helps so far. Any further features down the line will be added to the postings later in the year.

Senior Member Country: England DeadlyStranger's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Awesome! Really need a like button on this forum... aggregate the real views

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyStranger View Post
    Awesome! Really need a like button on this forum... aggregate the real views
    There used to be one but it died through too many likes saying nothing about why they were liked. You can say why you like something by replying to the post

Steve

Liked
    23 times
    The assumption is, unless critics in England saw the film for themselves then there was no official press screening for Cat and Mouse, since as the film was a 'telemovie' in America the reviews would have been in the US by TV journalists? This would explain why the ultimate of all film annuals-F.Maurice Speed's Review-only gives it a distributors one-line synopsis, and even Halliwell (under the 'Mousey' name simply lists it as an "unusual psychological thriller".

It would be interesting to see if it ever got a notice in the trade journal "CinemaTV Today" (previously Kinematograph Weekly), but I don't have that particular May 16th edition mainly because for several weeks previously the country had been plunged into the 3-day week/power cut rotas/miners strike situation and anything printed regularly was difficult to get hold of. Except parking tickets!

BTW, the reviews by London critics for 'Craze' were unanimously stinkers (quotations available) so one couldn't expect too many of them, because of continuous performances, to sit through Craze again at the New Victoria or Astoria in order to get to our film in question.

Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    There used to be one but it died through too many likes saying nothing about why they were liked. You can say why you like something by replying to the post

Steve
    Oh really, Steve? We've got the equivalent of Savile Row libel solicitors on the Britmovie management team nowadays?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    Oh really, Steve? We've got the equivalent of Savile Row libel solicitors on the Britmovie management team nowadays?
    No, but I (& Steve DeBank before me) thought that Like buttons are pointless.
    You can say why you like something by replying to the post

Steve

Junior Member Country: Trinidad Tobago
    Liked
    0 times
    This is a very interesting question especially when you watch something like GOT British fantasy written by an American shot in Ireland.

My answer would be the anti-Hollywood stance, its more cerebral, much more sarcastic and even if the ending is a happy one it leaves you thinking...

Like the American nuclear docu drama The day After is hopeful and spiritual when you compare it to Threads, the stuff of nightmares!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12