Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    We are a group of A level Film students, studying British Cinema and we would like your responces to our question.

Do you enjoy BRITISH CINEMA OVER AMERICAN,

DO YOU FEEL THAT BRITISH CINEMA IS A GREAT TOOL IN THE SENSE THAT IT BREAKS THE STEROTYPE OF BRITISH PEOPLE?

IDENTIFY SOME BRITISH FILMS WHICH YOU FEEL REPRESENTS YOU

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times

Obviously, or I'd be posting on Yankmovie instead.

DO YOU FEEL THAT BRITISH CINEMA IS A GREAT TOOL IN THE SENSE THAT IT BREAKS THE STEROTYPE OF BRITISH PEOPLE?

No, just the opposite.

Truly, Madly, Deeply

She'll be Wearing Pink Pyjamas

Educating Rita

Love Honour & Obey

The Italian Job

Carry on Screaming

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    What makes a british film British

The accents.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    The title gives the question that is the hardest to answer.

What makes a British film British?

How do you define a "British" film?

There are as many definitions of what makes a film British as there are British films

name='AlevelFilm']We are a group of A level Film students, studying British Cinema and we would like your responces to our question.

No, but I don't enjoy American cinema over British either.

The nationality doesn't come into it when I am deciding which films to watch or if I enjoyed a film

Sometimes it can break the stereotype, sometimes it can reinforce it

There are a few I could name which represent the character I might like to be. But none that really represent me as I am. Why should there be?

Steve

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    name='AlevelFilm']We are a group of A level Film students, studying British Cinema and we would like your responces to our question.

I watch films that I like and I am a bit peeved you omitted to mention European Drama, they make some terrific movies y'know. I would go along with your thread this far: It, perhaps, is more likely that a slightly less 'good' UK film may be favourite as one can identify with it occasionally.

What stereotype? Bowler hat umbrella, forever saying sorry. Or lager filled shaved head 'person' wearing a union jack speaking 'in tongues'. Kilts, fighting Irishmen, militarist occupiers? . Depends where you view us from. Not a good question these days.

What represents me? Depends on the day and wifey. So, with tongue in cheek, I will nominate Hobson's Choice.

Liked
    0 times
    We are A level Film studies students studying "British Cinema" as part of the Curriculum and therefore we are wanting feedback on whether you fee,l is British Cinema is relevant in this day and age, and clearly defines the British society we live in today!

Films such as This Is England as Shane Medows was denoted as saying that he wanted to represent the era he grew up in, that teenagers and political issues were still the same as they are today. He was peeved that it got a cert of 18 due to content and felt that it was limiting the audience which he was aiming the film towards

It is worrying that within our current government. Tessa Jowl (MP) stated that British Cinema was not as relevant as other forms of performance such as theatre??? Do you agree with this?

Do you feel that British Cinema breaks conventional hollywood narrative with a clear style of its own which can be identified in the world such as Bollywood?

Senior Member Country: England AdobeFlats's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Having recently watched almost two hours of (well-made but) boring stunt-&-special effects in Indiana Jones/Crystal skull, I'd prefer a couple of quirky Alastair Sim films: Green For Danger, The Green Man etc.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Tessa Jowl (MP) stated that British Cinema was not as relevant as other forms of performance such as theatre

A typically stupid and elitist comment. Hardly anyone goes to the theatre compared to those who go to the cinema so by the criteria of the number of people who see them almost all British films are "more relevant" than theatre.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='m35541']A typically stupid and elitist comment. Hardly anyone goes to the theatre compared to those who go to the cinema so by the criteria of the number of people who see them almost all British films are "more relevant" than theatre.

Do you know for certain that attendance at British films is more than attendance at the theatre? I'd be surprised - for one thing there are far more theatres around than there are cinemas that actually show British films

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    name='AlevelFilm']

It is worrying that within our current government. Tessa Jowl (MP) stated that British Cinema was not as relevant as other forms of performance such as theatre??? Do you agree with this?

Can you post a link to this quote? I can't find any reference to Jowell saying anything like this - but I don't want to trawl through literally thousands of possible pages ...

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='Rowdon']Can you post a link to this quote? I can't find any reference to Jowell saying anything like this - but I don't want to trawl through literally thousands of possible pages ...

I'd like to see a reference as well - having had no luck finding it.

Seems to me like it has been taken totally out of context.

Liked
    0 times
    It was taken from a webapge about a 2 years ago and used in a handout that was prepared! I cannot remember where. it was one of thoes random searches but I will post a link to the teaching material that was used. I think that it was a random PDF that was sourced.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    It possibly goes back to 2003, and is more how a random remark she made in Germany about the Germans being more excited about culture than the British was transmogrified, back in Blighty.....

Ms Jowell echoes a common conceit among theatregoers and opera lovers: that while Brits spend their evenings chomping crisps in front of the latest sitcom, Germans dress up and head down to the local opera, after which they discuss the finer points of Don Giovanni�s performance. I have more than once been told an apocryphal tale about a German au pair on a placement in an English provincial town who asked her hosts �tell me, which is the best opera house in town?� and was unable to comprehend the reply that the nearest opera was 200 miles away but if she wanted a night out, Shirley Valentine was on at the local cinema.

The German don't have the best tunes - they just have the best subsidies | Ross Clark - Times Online

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Steve Crook']

What makes a British film British?

How do you define a "British" film?

There are as many definitions of what makes a film British as there are British films

No, but I don't enjoy American cinema over British either.

The nationality doesn't come into it when I am deciding which films to watch or if I enjoyed a film

Sometimes it can break the stereotype, sometimes it can reinforce it

There are a few I could name which represent the character I might like to be. But none that really represent me as I am. Why should there be?

Steve

Steve's answers are pretty much the same as I would have answered.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times

Answers from me.

1/ If you could have got British variety stars like George Formby, Richard Hearne or Frank Randle into Amercan films I would watch more of them.

Yes, I enjoy British Film more.

2/ Who's sterotype? Me no understand that one.... Must be an American question.

"Get off me foot"

3/ Let George Do It, Tons of Trouble, School For Randle, Fiddlers Three.

In short, any British film which is funny, entertaining, made with limited money and is in black and white.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNHX7zmMvis"]YouTube- Eddie Izzard - Brit and American Films[/ame]

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    As usual, Eddie nails it perfectly

Space monkeys

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Matron Whippy's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    British films that represents me..

All my carry on film... OOOOOOHHHH Matron...

Liked
    0 times
    I'm more 'Get Carter'. Bleak, a touch brutal, but with a bit of groovyness thrown in for the sake of it.

'The Offence' is also a cracker and far more early 1970's than 'Life On Mars'.

Senior Member Country: England DeadlyStranger's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    If the cast is mostly British, as is the director, and it's filmed in what is visibly Britain, then yes, the pedigree is pretty strong of it being a British film, in my view.

However, the definition becomes a lot looser when various international stars feature, or a foreign director, and the film jumps around global locations. Get Carter, to me, would be a 100% UK production, oozing vintage Britishness out of every bleak, Northern pore. The Offence almost as much, but then the director was American, so maybe 90%

I see Network raised the old psycho breakdown slasher, Cat & Mouse from the dead, and now tag it a British film. Tenuous? Both leads were non British and the director was Canadian, hmm...
    Another one that could throw a spanner in the works is Frank Sinatra in The Naked Runner. Amazing that a film starring such a big deal talent still seem incredibly scarce on disc across all regions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast