Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    BBC prduction of 1978, starring Richard O'Callaghan as Renoir

IMDB link:"BBC2 Play of the Week" Renoir, My Father (1978)

BFi link: BFI | Film & TV Database | RENOIR, MY FATHER (1978)

We've unearthed some gems in my time here. Hope this is anoter successif you can please

Junior Member Country: France
    Liked
    0 times
    I recorded it off air on my domestic VCR in December 1978. That was a Phillips machine. Later I transferred it to Beta, then later still to VHS and then DVD. Now it is on my computer hard drive.

It is a superb production. I have a susipicion the BBC have lost it, as they have so many things.

I have attempted to communicate with them several times over the last five years, urging them to issue a DVD. All I ever got by way of reply was a form letter thanking me for my interest and saying they have no plans.

Recently they referred me to a company called 2DVD, which referred me back to the BBC.

I even sent them a home made DVD copy and said that my Beta copy, which I still have, was a pretty good copy. Do they want it. I never got a reply.

I am thinking of putting it on YouTube, but afraid I may get done for copyright breach.

Any advice?

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Krokodil
    This is the first time I've ever had a lead on where I might get hold of this.
    Would you be willing to trade?

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Wheelman. I could send you a homemade DVD copy. I suspect the BBC have lost this production,along with tons of others, so they can't surely object to me "lending" (ahem) you my personal copy. It is a wonderful production and I am so pleased to connect with some-one else who likes it. I joined this forum only to communicate with you about it - also to sound people out about putting the whole 2 hours in YouTube in bite size chunks.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    typical BBC reaction to archive material enquiries! stick it on 'you tube'!

Liked
    0 times
    Krokodil

That's a good offer. I can't seem to PM you, so could you please PM me so we can sort a trade out? Sadly my broadband sucks, so getting it off YouTube might take the rest of my life:-(

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Apparently Lost Shows says it does survive

Lost UK TV Shows Search Engine

Liked
    0 times
    HELP! How can I get in touch with Krokodil. I can't PM him. He may be a new member with not enough posts to enable messaging, so probably can't PM me either.
    So near yet so far away from getting hold of a copy of this....

Liked
    0 times
    Dear Wheelieman, You will just have to be patient a little longer. I will PM you as soon as I am able. Have no fear I will not desert you.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Krokodil. I look forward to that:-)

Senior Member Country: United States MonicaMC's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Teacake View Post
    Is there a site like this for films, and that is reasonably reliable? Or does one need to go to the individual distributor/its successor business(es)?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MonicaMC View Post
    Is there a site like this for films, and that is reasonably reliable? Or does one need to go to the individual distributor/its successor business(es)?
    Are you asking if there's a list of missing British feature films? As they're missing, the distributors probably would be much help, except to confirm that they're missing

You can look on the IMDb for feature films made in the UK with the keyword lost-film
    IMDb: Most Popular "Lost Film" Feature Films With Country of Origin United Kingdom
    That's about as reliable as any other list, but like any other similar list, not guaranteed to be complete

David Absalom did a list based on the BFI documentary and book "Missing, Believed Lost"
    That's been updated to show some that have been found since the search started
    Missing Believed Lost - The Great British Film Search

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Notwithstanding the Lost UK TV Shows result saying that it exists I believe that Renoir My Father may in fact be missing.

About three years ago I was asked to give an interview to the BBC, something I rarely if ever agree to do. Having no need of a paltry BBC appearance fee I agreed on condition that they would instead pay me in DVD copies of certain BBC shows. I got most of the shows I requested, but an apology about the Renoir play. The paper work showed it to exist but they had not been able to trace the 2 inch tape in the library. It may, of course, have been that they didn't want to bother looking. They had their interview in the can by then, and I imagine that 2 inch VTR machines are a pretty rare breed these days. I can't think when I last saw one, round about 1980 something I think. It was all 1 inch and archiving on state of the Ark dinner plate sized DVDs by 1980, at least in Canada and the US.

For the record I didn't get "The Other Man" either, a gripping 1960's mini series set in Britain about 25 years after the 'Other Man' - the Prime Minister who replaced Churchill after he was killed in an air raid - had made peace with Nazi Germany. Britain was never conquered but by 1966 had become a subordinate member of a German dominated European Union and a Quisling proto Nazi state. May yet happen, the way things are going.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Wheelieman. At what point will I be able to send you a private message, and how do do it? Or can you send me one yet?

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Krokidil. Seems like you have solved this query without me :-)

Have replied to your PM.

Wm

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    'Renoir, My Father' from 1978 - this BBC production is currently posted on YT, it's in 9 parts.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, it was uploaded by Krokodil (using a different name), for which grateful thanks