Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    And the next one please ...

"The Duke of Edinburgh yesterday asked a sea cadet if she worked at a strip club, according to reports.

Prince Philip had joined the Queen on a visit to Wyvern Barracks in Exeter on Thursday when he asked Elizabeth Rendle what she did for a living.

The 24-year-old, a member of the Barnstaple Sea Cadets, told him she worked in a nightclub.

Philip, 88, then asked if it was a strip club, before joking that it was "probably too cold for that anyway", she told The Sun.

Miss Rendle added: "We were all laughing and I didn't take any offence. I think he was just putting people at their ease."

The incident was the latest in a long line of Royal gaffes by the Duke.

He once told Paraguayan dictator General Stroessner: "It's a pleasure to be in a country that isn't ruled by its people."

He also dashed a 13-year-old boy's ambitions when he told him: "You're too fat to be an astronaut."

And he once told a group from the British Deaf Association who were standing near a band: "Deaf? If you're near there, no wonder you are deaf."

In 2002, Philip asked an indigenous Australian: "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

The same year he asked a driving instructor in Scotland: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?"

Back in 1986, he commented to a group of British students in China: "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed."

The Royal visit to Exeter was part of celebrations to mark 150 years of the Sea Cadets movement.

The Queen was offered the chance to try her hand at rock climbing but declined, saying that she was wearing the wrong shoes."

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    I feel sorry for the Queen having to tolerate such a stupid, tactless, bigoted, ill informed fool of a man, Im sure she would prefer to leave him at home while she carries out her official duties, who could blame her.

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    I think he's great - he is old man having a bit of fun, the nod and wink kind - I'm sure he doesn't intend for his remarks to cause offence, just a bit of harmless banter

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    The Duke of Edinburgh commenting on modern stress counselling for servicemen in 1995:

"We didn't have counsellors rushing around every time somebody let a gun off asking "Are you all right? Are you sure you don't have a ghastly problem?"

Well if his comments were funny and witty then it would be fine but his gaffes are always quite thoughtless and ill informed and consequently quite offensive, he's just a silly old fool who doesn't think much about what he is saying, I bet the Queen has whacked him or thrown a few things at him when they are alone.

Senior Member Country: England paul kersey's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    name='earlb']I think he's great - he is old man having a bit of fun, the nod and wink kind - I'm sure he doesn't intend for his remarks to cause offence, just a bit of harmless banter

Hear Hear, he is the only one in the Royal Family that I have any time for.

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    name='earlb']I think he's great - he is old man having a bit of fun, the nod and wink kind - I'm sure he doesn't intend for his remarks to cause offence, just a bit of harmless banter
    He wasn't always an old man, though, and he has a long history of making tactless remarks that must have embarrassed the Queen very much. Even if it was just an "old man" thing, he's not just any old man, he's the Queen's consort and he should be more mindful of that and show more consideration towards the Queen as well as to the people he meets.

I'll step off me soapbox now!

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    He gets all the Royal visits he's on into the papers, though.

People at his 'social level' (and they are very, very few) either keep silent or talk nonsense: the Queen, Prince Philip.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    He's the last hope, the Luke Skywalker of those Brits who consistently find themselves rolling their eyes at the ridiculous barriers put up around free speech by the politically correct brigade.

I agree with Bats' thread title, we certainly will miss him when he's gone.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='GoggleboxUK']He's the last hope, the Luke Skywalker of those Brits who consistently find themselves rolling their eyes at the ridiculous barriers put up around free speech by the politically correct brigade.

I agree with Bats' thread title, we certainly will miss him when he's gone.

Again the poliitically correct brigade is mentioned and nobody will tell me where the meetings are held

Senior Member Country: UK Dandy Forsdyke's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    It will be a sad day when we lose the Duke. His gaffs are part of the British landscape.

Liked
    0 times
    name='christoph404']... the Queen having to tolerate such a stupid, tactless, bigoted, ill informed fool of a man...

That could explain Brenda's miserable countenance.

Ya gotta love Phil The Greek.

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Good for him, I like his remarks, he's only injecting a bit of school boy humour just to raise a smile. Harmless fun IMHO.

Liked
    255 times
    "Do they mean me?"

Liked
    255 times
    Here's one for moon ....

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    I like him and will miss him when he goes. Why do people feel the need to tell a newspaper what the Duke says, it says more about them than him. Tell the reporter to mind his own business.

Liked
    199 times
    name='christoph404']The Duke of Edinburgh commenting on modern stress counselling for servicemen in 1995:

"We didn't have counsellors rushing around every time somebody let a gun off asking "Are you all right? Are you sure you don't have a ghastly problem?"

Well if his comments were funny and witty then it would be fine but his gaffes are always quite thoughtless and ill informed and consequently quite offensive, he's just a silly old fool who doesn't think much about what he is saying, I bet the Queen has whacked him or thrown a few things at him when they are alone.
    As Christoph said, "...his gaffes are always quite thoughtless and ill informed and consequently quite offensive..." -- and it would be the same if he were just Joe Blow. It's got nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with politeness.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i find him highly amusing!

Liked
    0 times
    Why??????

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='jaycad']i find him highly amusing!

Me too..........everytime he makes one of his so called 'gaffes', the comic rags always drag up all the others, gaff or no gaff it's called free speech, he probably despairs at all the 'stress counselling' that goes on today for things like a chipped fingernail, did holocaust survivors recieve stress counselling when they were liberated?........I doubt it.

As already said I'll miss him also when he's gone, he's 90 next year, Prince Edward is the next in line to be given the title of Duke of Edinburgh, it really won't be the same........

Liked
    199 times
    name='jaycad']i find him highly amusing!
    Well, he's the court jester, isn't he, in a way?

It's just a bit weird that the court jester is also the Prince Consort.

Who knows, perhaps privately the Queen finds him highly amusing, too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast