Member Country: England ILoveThe70s's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Looking down the TV listings I notice that tonight on G.O.L.D there is a programme entitled A Brief History of Double Entry Book Keeping. I must admit to knowing absolutely nothing about double entry book keeping and therefore I accept that it could actually be a highly interesting and stimulating topic. Unfortunately this show just doesn't sound at all interesting. Any other suggestions for names of TV shows which have seriously off-putting titles?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    name='ILoveThe70s'] History of Double Entry Book Keeping. I must admit to knowing absolutely nothing about double entry book keeping and therefore I accept that it could actually be a highly interesting and stimulating topic.

It isn't!

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    name='cully']It isn't!
    Oh I don't know.... I imagine any dedicated double-entry book-keeper would find it enthralling!

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    name='ILoveThe70s']Any other suggestions for names of TV shows which have seriously off-putting titles?

Embarassing bodies!

How to look good naked!

And if we`re talking boring, Farm of fussy eaters, `a programme where fussy eating spirals out of control`, people who live on biscuits or spaghetti hoops and nothing else. GET A LIFE!

xx

Liked
    0 times
    name='ILoveThe70s']Looking down the TV listings I notice that tonight on G.O.L.D there is a programme entitled A Brief History of Double Entry Book Keeping. I must admit to knowing absolutely nothing about double entry book keeping and therefore I accept that it could actually be a highly interesting and stimulating topic. Unfortunately this show just doesn't sound at all interesting. Any other suggestions for names of TV shows which have seriously off-putting titles?

It's on Radio 4 not GOLD. I think the title is a sort of joke, a bit like the best-selling "A short history of tractors in Ukrainian". Take what everyone will assume is the most boring subject imaginable - double entry book keeping - and then show that it's interesting and important after all. But sort of relies on the listener getting the joke and overcoming their prejudice enough to listen. Doesn't work if they just take it at face value. Interesting article about the series here:

BBC News - How men in grey suits changed the world

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='wheato']It's on Radio 4 not GOLD. I think the title is a sort of joke, a bit like the best-selling "A short history of tractors in Ukrainian". Take what everyone will assume is the most boring subject imaginable - double entry book keeping - and then show that it's interesting and important after all. But sort of relies on the listener getting the joke and overcoming their prejudice enough to listen. Doesn't work if they just take it at face value. Interesting article about the series here:

BBC News - How men in grey suits changed the world
    It's been running all month. It's one of the quirky programmes that Radio 4 does so well that nobody else would be liable to broadcast because it doesn't fit into any particular genre.

BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - A Brief History of Double Entry Book-keeping

Steve