Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: UK flynn's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    i know a much better site.seller is cheaper.but the link wont work here

Liked
    0 times
    name='dvdman']these top of the pops are broadcast dvd quality

They should be as they are taken from the German channel Einsfestival which has been showing selected 1970's editions for the last year. You can see the channel logo to the right of Jimmy Saville.

Anyone with a satellite receiver capable of receiving Astra 19.2E can watch, and record, them. The next one is the 04.11.1976 edition which goes out on Wednesday night with a repeat on Saturday afternoon.

You can view the Einsfestival schedule here Einsfestival, Donnerstag, den 18. M�rz 2010 - WDR Programmvorschau - WDR.de

It's worth remembering that you need to subtract one hour from the German schedule to allow for the time difference.

Leaving aside arguments about bootlegging and copyright, unless the above DVD is being offered very cheaply I wouldn't touch it. The episodes are circulating widely among fans and should be relatively easy to find.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    I would suggest that rather than paying high prices for TV recordings people make a request to trade etc here. Nothing much there that is not floating around among many Britmovians collections.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I wouldn't buy anything from Nostalgia.com as they claim that Our Friends in the North has never had a commercial release!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Harbottle']I would suggest that rather than paying high prices for TV recordings people make a request to trade etc here. Nothing much there that is not floating around among many Britmovians collections.

True. Though I have nothing to "trade" with except cold hard cash

Senior Member Country: UK flynn's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    name='Monkeymanbob']True. Though I have nothing to "trade" with except cold hard cash

thats the kind of Trade i like.lol.

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    name='Remy']I wouldn't buy anything from Nostalgia.com as they claim that Our Friends in the North has never had a commercial release!

I think many of these traders don't keep up. At the Westminster Film Fair on Saturday, as usual, I saw several 'bootlegged' DVDs of films that have recently been issued!

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    name='Kinvig']

Anyone with a satellite receiver capable of receiving Astra 19.2E can watch, and record, them. The next one is the 04.11.1976 edition which goes out on Wednesday night with a repeat on Saturday afternoon.

We would need the tuning details for 'non Sky channel settings'

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    "No refunds, but faulty discs are replaced free of charge"

It's a criminal offence not to offer a refund if the buyer so chooses within seven days of receipt of the goods or the issuing of the seven days notice (whichever is the longer) under the Distance Selling Regulations.

Bunch of crooks.

I am referring to the 'business' the OP linked to, not Nostalgia.com who the OP named in their title who seem legitimate to me.

Nostalgia Factory | Original Movie Posters & Film Memorabilia

Liked
    0 times
    name='Bernardo']We would need the tuning details for 'non Sky channel settings'

That's easy enough.

Transponder 51

Frequency: 10.744

Polarization: H

SR: 22000

FEC: 5/6

However you need to have a dish pointing at 19.2 East.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    name='Brief Encounter']I think many of these traders don't keep up. At the Westminster Film Fair on Saturday, as usual, I saw several 'bootlegged' DVDs of films that have recently been issued!

This is a good point. I don't always think it is some kind of malicious intent on their part. And truth be, buyers aren't always up to date either and are merely glad to find a classic film not available to them. The small ma-and-pa traders are not worrisome to me but rather the ones churning out 2,000 discs + at a time.

Barbara

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    True, Barbara. I think they just don't realise the films are now available. I sometimes won't buy an official issue on principle - ie. it being out of print, overpriced, poor quality etc. Or in the case of the George Formby Optimum DVDs, to protest at their failure to produce a second boxset!

Liked
    399 times
    name='darrenburnfan']As far as I know, Barbara, it has never had a VHS release in either the US or UK, although I think I once saw a Japanese laser disc of it on eBay years ago. If they have it on VHS, it will most likely be from an off-air recording and most probably pan and scan...although BBC2 have shown it in 16 x 9 in recent years, whereas the French DVD is full 2.35:1 CinemaScope. It was originally shot in 2.55:1 aspect ratio, which was a wider image and the norm for very early CinemaScope films. The French DVD transfer is very clear and all the screen captures I uploaded here from Moonfleet were taken from that DVD.

Hello, Darrenburnfan:

Many thanks for the precise and informative details about the Moonfleet versions. Sorry for the delay in replying, but I had refresh my understanding of aspect ratio, something I always find confusing because of the ratios and other names used for them such as 'pan and scan' and letterbox, etc. I've got it straight now. The 'full 2.35:1 CinemaScope' of the French DVD is as close to the original filming as I'll ever get.

It seems a hands down choice both in aspect ratio, but also for the clarity. I am always thrilled by a film that has clear images and sound. For some reason, shipping from France is unusually expensive, but some things are worth the extra cost.

With appreciation,

Barbara

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Moonfleet - Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 dutch import

�14 from Amazon market place, plus �1.24 postage

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moonfleet-region-2-Fritz-Lang/dp/B000T7BVC0]Moonfleet [region 2] [import]: Amazon.co.uk: Fritz Lang, Stewart Granger, George Sanders, Joan Greenwood, Jack Elam: DVD[/ame]

you'll have to be quick as theirs only 1 at this price, next is �49

Liked
    399 times
    name='Steptoes Son']Moonfleet - Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 dutch import

�14 from Amazon market place, plus �1.24 postage

Moonfleet [region 2] [import]: Amazon.co.uk: Fritz Lang, Stewart Granger, George Sanders, Joan Greenwood, Jack Elam: DVD

you'll have to be quick as theirs only 1 at this price, next is �49

Terrific! Many thanks for the cordial help.

Barbara

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12