Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I think this will be almost impossible to answer, because i can't remember any of the plot, just one strange scene. As a youngster, my mother told me that Alfred Hitchcock always made a brief appearance in the films that he directed. We devised a simple game, whenever watching any of his films - the winner was the first one to spot him. I pretty sure that i was allowed to win this game, but i suppose it was a good method of keeping me interested in a film, which i might not fully understand. I suppose i was about 9 or 10 when this happened and i sort of became obsessed with spotting AH even if it wasn't a film he had directed. On one such occasion, i was allowed to stay up and watch an a British movie when there was a very odd scene, two police detectives had called at a young couple's flat and the wife, either took them down to the basement flat, or asked them to question the occupant. the owner of the basement flat looked, to me at least, a dead ringer for MrHitchcock. The bizarre thing about this scene was the AH lookalike was a practising masochist ! And during the interview with the police invited one of them to give him a few whacks with a cane! The officer politely refuses and they leave. Obviously being only about 10 years old i had no idea, what on earth was going on. From memory this was the only time the man appeared in the film and had really nothing to do with the plot, other than he lived below the young couple, who needed the assistance of the police. The only other thing, which i can sort of remember, is that maybe a television had been stolen (this might be a red herring, as i may be getting confused with another film shown on TV around that time). I would guess that the film would have been made between 1950 and 1964. so not really a lot to go on!

thanks anyway!

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    That is not an Alfred Hitchcock movie. That was not Alfred Hitchcock whose appearances was always very brief and never spoke.

Liked
    1 times
    name='will.15']That is not an Alfred Hitchcock movie. That was not Alfred Hitchcock whose appearances was always very brief and never spoke.

Agree, not Hitchcock, but he did speak in The Wrong Man, will

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    The film could be Bunny Lake is Missing (1965) in which Noel Coward had a small part as a masochist. Does Noel Coward look like Hitchcock ? Perhaps in the dusk with the light behind him.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Where did Hitchcock appear in "Lifeboat"?

James

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    At the beginning of the movie, in a newspaper photo.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Aw, that was to easy.

James

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='JamesDFarrow']Aw, that was to easy.

James

There's a full list of Hitchcock's cameos at [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hitchcock_cameo_appearances]List of Hitchcock cameo appearances - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Steve

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi thanks Hugo, I think it must be 'Bunny Lake is Missing' I have been on imdb where there were 60 reviews of the film and having read them all, i can say i've definitely seen this film many years ago. The film got panned when it came out in 1965 and was largely forgotten but most of the reviews were very favourable to it and it sounds like a dvd worth getting, even if its only to confirm that this is the odd scene i witnessed 40 years ago. I suppose i could have got confused between Noel Coward and Alfred hitchcock at the time (not sure how!) and strangely a lot of the reviews likened the film to a Hitchcock offering. Thanks again for responding.