Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Hi,

I can't remember when I saw this and I think it was an American TV movie, but I definitely saw it on British television....perhaps late 70s?

Anyway, from what I recall a family moved into a secluded village, there was an uneasy atmosphere about the place and one of the main characters was a husband who wore large dark glasses and was blind. He and his wife befriended the incomers, but he was very cagey and cryptic about certain goings on in the community. The plot seemed to revolve around the build up to some disturbing ritual carried out at night in the village, and only the women could attend.

The man in the incoming family seemed to fall under the spell of a rather enchanting and attractive (but witch-like?) woman whom I remember laughing at him in or near a river and saying something along the lines of "You really want me don't you?"

The only other thing I recall is the ending, when he sneaks out from the male curfew to spy on the exclusively female gathering - around a large bonfire IIRC. All a bit "Wicker Man" in theme and mood I think. Anyway, he is discovered and the finale, some days later, has his wife going about her daily business quite normally....but he is blind, with the same dark glasses as the earlier man, and you are left in no doubt he had been deliberately blinded for witnessing something he should not have.....

It was quite a disturbing little picture, I have never seen it since and would love to know what on Earth it was called. Sorry but I cannot remember any particularly well known cast members.

Any ideas anyone?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I've definitely seen this, but having trouble putting a name to it. Could it be THE DARK SECRET OF HARVEST HOME, which I've not seen since its original TV broadcast?

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I never saw it, but I just read about it on Imdb and it definitely sounds like asiamiles has the movie. Gee, Torch, you don't remember Bette Davis? It was originally a four hour mini series, but apparently there is a severely cut version that was also broadcast.

The movie is on youtube, I looked at the ending. That's it.

Senior Member Country: UK rose ellen's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    It is Dark Sescret of Harvest home.I have it on DVD and have watched it a few times.

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Thank you all so much for the prompt confirmation. Once again I am indebted to the reliable people of Britmovie....

will.15....what can I say? No excuse for forgetting the redoubtable Bette...one of the truly great stars....as soon as you mentioned her name it all came flooding back!