Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    Merton Park?

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    name='alan gowdy']An essential book on the subject, which I highly recommend:

British Film Studios: Amazon.co.uk: Patricia Warren: Books

Hello, Alan,

I just checked Warren's book and it absolutely does seem like 'essential' reading.

Thank you for taking the time to point me to the book. Apparently, it covers

"90 studios, has 200 film stills, facts about films made at these studios, silent to the present, and directors, producers and actors." I'm really looking forward to reading this one!

All the best,

Barbara

Liked
    399 times
    name='alan gowdy']Yes, definitely Worton Hall, Welwyn, probably Merton Park, both Gaumont/Gainsboroughs at Shepherd's Bush and Islington, the long-gone Elstree ones like Danziger, Southall. Many substantial outfits, though familiar to forumers, are forgotten by most - Denham, MGM, Beaconsfield. I suppose studios converted to TV use like Teddington and Wembley might be worthy of inclusion.

Actually the more I think about it, there's enough material for a whole series.

name='dicky2006']Merton Park?

Hello, Alan and dicky2006:

These studio names are just wonderful sources to read up on along with Warren's broader brush book leading the way (thanks again for that, Alan ).

I have Perry's Forever Ealing and there must be other books on individual studios? or I hope so. I note that Warren also wrote a book on Elstree.

It would be splendid if a 'whole series' on studios were done!

All the best,

Barbara

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Gareth Owen has done a couple of very good individual studio books Barbara - THE PINEWOOD STORY and THE SHEPPERTON STORY; both deserve a place on any good bookshelf.

No-one has ever done a book on Bray Studios as far as I know - but I suppose the major history of the place is so tied in with Hammer Films (who have been done to death and resurrected more times than the Count!) that I suppose nobody feels that it is necessary. Shame, becuase it would be interesting to have a proper account of the post-Hammer years.

Smudge

Liked
    399 times
    name='smudge']Gareth Owen has done a couple of very good individual studio books Barbara - THE PINEWOOD STORY and THE SHEPPERTON STORY; both deserve a place on any good bookshelf.

No-one has ever done a book on Bray Studios as far as I know - but I suppose the major history of the place is so tied in with Hammer Films (who have been done to death and resurrected more times than the Count!) that I suppose nobody feels that it is necessary. Shame, becuase it would be interesting to have a proper account of the post-Hammer years.

Smudge

Hi, Smudge,

Many thanks for the reference to Gareth Owen's books which sound excellent. ,

I'm sorry-faced to admit I'm not familiar with Bray Studios, which I just Googled. Since Hammer sold Bray in 1970, it -would- be interesting to hear about events in the last 38 years. If the studio allows tours, it might be worth a trip to Water Oakley.

Thanks as always for the grand information,

Barbara

Liked
    114 times
    name='theuofc']Hi, Smudge,

Many thanks for the reference to Gareth Owen's books which sound excellent. ,

I'm sorry-faced to admit I'm not familiar with Bray Studios, which I just Googled. Since Hammer sold Bray in 1970, it -would- be interesting to hear about events in the last 38 years. If the studio allows tours, it might be worth a trip to Water Oakley.

Thanks as always for the grand information,

Barbara

Hi Barbara -

As far as I am aware the only public access has been the Hammer at Bray events. I went to two out of the three - it's amazing how tiny the place is - you can see how the designer Bernard Robinson (and others) worked miracles in so small a place.

If you are feeling energetic though, you can walk the Thames Path up from Windsor, which takes you past the studios on the opposite riverbank. If you refer to the Studios section here, you'll see the pic I took from there. If you're not so energetic they run boat trips from Windsor in the summer too!

I've always thought Water Oakley to be such a very evocative name for the area...

Smudge

Liked
    399 times
    name='smudge']Hi Barbara -

As far as I am aware the only public access has been the Hammer at Bray events. I went to two out of the three - it's amazing how tiny the place is - you can see how the designer Bernard Robinson (and others) worked miracles in so small a place.

If you are feeling energetic though, you can walk the Thames Path up from Windsor, which takes you past the studios on the opposite riverbank. If you refer to the Studios section here, you'll see the pic I took from there. If you're not so energetic they run boat trips from Windsor in the summer too!

I've always thought Water Oakley to be such a very evocative name for the area...

Smudge

Yes, when I read "Water Oakley," it caught my attention. I hope to visit the area, probably on that boat trip from Windsor with thanks for the helpful

information on getting there.

I am so focused on the Forum discussions that I totally missed the Studio section and all of the excellent information in it. I see I have a good read waiting for me. I found the Hammer article and your photo which is wonderful.

http://filmdope.com/studios/Hammer-Films

Thanks very much, Smudge.

Barbara

Liked
    114 times
    Holger Hasse's excellent Blogs give a good insight to 'Hammer at Bray' eventing - and on about the 8th pic down on this page you'll see me deep in conversation with film editor Eric Boyd-Perkins and his oppo, Vernon Messenger...

Hammer and Beyond: Hammer at Bray 3 - Bray Studio

I never knew until earlier this year that this photo was up there.

(Yes, I know it's rude to point but I think at that moment we had all been scratching our heads over a particular film and realisation had just dawned, so it was a wag rather than a point!)

Smudge

Liked
    399 times
    name='smudge']Holger Hasse's excellent Blogs give a good insight to 'Hammer at Bray' eventing - and on about the 8th pic down on this page you'll see me deep in conversation with film editor Eric Boyd-Perkins and his oppo, Vernon Messenger...

Hammer and Beyond: Hammer at Bray 3 - Bray Studio

I never knew until earlier this year that this photo was up there.

(Yes, I know it's rude to point but I think at that moment we had all been scratching our heads over a particular film and realisation had just dawned, so it was a wag rather than a point!)

Smudge

Hi, Smudge,

Thanks for that great Hammer site. I especially like the photos which give me an idea of the studio and the boat trip. It all looks like grand fun.

Lovely pic of you and your colleagues having a very enjoyable,focused discussion on the veranda on what appears to be a splendid sunny day. Isn't it grand to talk about film?

Best,

Barbara

Liked
    114 times
    name='theuofc']Hi, Smudge,

Isn't it grand to talk about film?

Best,

Barbara

Must admit that much as I enjoy talking to the folks from in front of the camera (and I do!) I'm rarely happier than when I am having a good natter with members of the crew - you get some great stories out of them!

Of course Eric Boyd-Perkins was the editor of THE WICKER MAN and episodes of THE PRISONER, so I was in my element on that day; and yes, it was an absolute scorcher!

I recall that bang on finishing time of the first Hammer event the sky just went pitch black and a perfectly atmospheric storm broke as we were leaving the building - LOL Mr. Cushing must have been doing some stage management that day! He was partial to playing with his model theatres, so you never know...

Smudge

Senior Member Country: Lithuania Cooper S's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    One very little known studio that I'm curious about is Rayant Studios at Bushey. I think they made religious based films for Rank for a time. I'm particularly keen to find out anything about a company called Filmscripts that was based there in the 1960s. Anybody here have any ideas ?

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Great programme, Michael Winner talks about his early days. The Danzigers and Merton Park are mentioned as you would expect. Other studios I had never heard of were mentioned like Viking.

Have a listen

BBC iPlayer - The Film Programme: 02/04/2010

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for the heads up, Windthrop. It was a excellent little programme - far too short

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Interesting Radio 4 documentary about the b-movie studios... available to download here

BBC - Podcasts - The Film Programme

Also on iPlayer of course.

Michael Winner is great as ever - "There was a studio in Marylebone, where I made my classic nudist film..."

Liked
    399 times
    name='Cooper S']One very little known studio that I'm curious about is Rayant Studios at Bushey. I think they made religious based films for Rank for a time. I'm particularly keen to find out anything about a company called Filmscripts that was based there in the 1960s. Anybody here have any ideas ?

Hello, Cooper S:

Among the films made at Rayant Studios was Jack Gold's film The Bofors Gun (1968). I haven't seen the film, but it had an all-star cast who gave some excellent performances. Ian Holm won a BAFTA for best-supporting actor. As a side note, given my Dirk Bogarde interest, Gareth Forwood, son of Dirk's partner Tony Forwood, had a small role in the film.

Rayant Pictures also made childrens' films for the CFF, one of which was The Young Jacobites (1960) starring a young Francesca Annis, a favourite of mine.

There is also quite a bit of information at imdb and Google.

Best,

Barbara

Liked
    399 times
    name='Windthrop']Great programme, Michael Winner talks about his early days. The Danzigers and Merton Park are mentioned as you would expect. Other studios I had never heard of were mentioned like Viking.

Have a listen

BBC iPlayer - The Film Programme: 02/04/2010

Hello Windthrop:

I wanted to thank you again for the alert about Michael Winner on forgotten film studios. A great listen! A note on the current exhibit at Welwyn which may interest members:

Welwyn Hatfield: Museum Service

< Welwyn Hatfield Cinema Opens at Mill Green on Tues. 2nd Feb. 2010 for a season.

Step back in time and find out about the fascinating story of the local film industry. This exhibition charts the history of the Embassy Cinema including the showing of the first 'talkie' in February 1931, when "All Quiet on the Western Front" packed the theatre for three weeks. Find out about the film studios in Broadwater Road, Welwyn Garden City, which produced over 80 features from the late 1920's until its closure in 1952. >

And an article on the tearing down of the former BIF building by Tesco owners:"The End of the Reel"

Welwyn Studios Welwyn Garden City

Barbara

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Bing Maps' birds eye view shows the studio building in the act of being bulldozed and Google streetview confirms that the site has now been completely cleared.

Another piece of British studio history obliterated by Tesco. Getting to be a bit of a habit I'd say.

Liked
    399 times
    name='alan gowdy']Bing Maps' birds eye view shows the studio building in the act of being bulldozed and Google streetview confirms that the site has now been completely cleared.

Another piece of British studio history obliterated by Tesco. Getting to be a bit of a habit I'd say.

Yes, it's a sorry site/sight. Ironically, in 2007, Tesco wasn't even cleared to put up a retail building. It seems a constant fight between historical preservation and the profit motive.

Best,

Barbara

Liked
    114 times
    name='theuofc']Yes, it's a sorry site/sight. Ironically, in 2007, Tesco wasn't even cleared to put up a retail building. It seems a constant fight between historical preservation and the profit motive.

Best,

Barbara

Sadly Tesco will always win because they can come in with 'sweeteners' where necessary, such as building new schools or other civic/community buildings as part of their redevelopments.

In these times of 'hard public sector decisions' (a.k.a. propping up the private sector at a cost to us all) cash-strapped local councils are going to be in even less of a position to refuse their 'help'.

It's not just about demolishing history, Tesco's dinosaur footprint-sized stores can easily destroy small communities in a single blow...

Smudge

Senior Member Country: Lithuania Cooper S's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    name='smudge']

It's not just about demolishing history, Tesco's dinosaur footprint-sized stores can easily destroy small communities in a single blow...

While putting lives at risk in the process -

After the tunnel collapse at Gerrards Cross, what happens now? | Art and design | The Guardian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast