Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i thought it was a bit odd him often staying at a premier inn by himself.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Shame, I like them both.

I'm not taking sides though.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Well maybe it was never the same after he had that fling.

I went right off him then! Poor Dawn!

XX

Liked
    6 times
    I suppose that's why he's in the Premier Inn.

My better half says he'll probably start dating Kate Moss as people tend to go for the exact opposite of the person they've just split from.

I bet she pulls first thogh, she's great.

Liked
    0 times
    Damn, now they can spoil another couple.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Personally I think she has let herself go a bit now, her weight although cuddly is spiraling out of control and she really needs to address it, he has probably traded her in for a younger slimmer model

Liked
    0 times
    I know I'm going to get lambasted for this (and it wouldn't be the first time), but I've never liked either of them. Lenny was ok when he was on Tiswas but let him and everyone else down by being the first black person desperate enough for fame to appear on The Black and White Minstrel's Show. Since then he's peddled out the same tired routines for the next twenty years til even the BBC got tired of him and now he has to content himself with a career that allows him the once a year Children in Need gig and embarassing ads. Whereas Lenny was midly amusing for a short while his wife never was. I never quite understood why Little and Large were so castigated by the so-called 'alternative' comedians of the 80s while they lapped up French and Saunders who were delivering the same material, but the only difference I could see was they presumably were minus and appendage. So you can imagine how shocked I was when I first saw the brilliant Ab Fab. And I've never liked Dibley either. So knock yourselves out.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Torquemada']I know I'm going to get lambasted for this (and it wouldn't be the first time), but I've never liked either of them. Lenny was ok when he was on Tiswas but let him and everyone else down by being the first black person desperate enough for fame to appear on The Black and White Minstrel's Show.

Something he did on a tour when he was 17 long before he was on Tiswas because he was fairly naive at the time. You didn't make any decisions when you were a teenager that you later regretted? His career is rather more than just one appearance a year for Children in Need - perhaps you missed his critically acclaimed Othello? Plus, he's recently completed a degree and is doing postgraduate work and presumably doesn't actually need to work full-time. Good for him It's called work-life balance. That enough for you?

Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Something he did on a tour when he was 17 long before he was on Tiswas because he was fairly naive at the time. You didn't make any decisions when you were a teenager that you later regretted? His career is rather more than just one appearance a year for Children in Need - perhaps you missed his critically acclaimed Othello? Plus, he's recently completed a degree and is doing postgraduate work and presumably doesn't actually need to work full-time. Good for him It's called work-life balance. That enough for you?

Nah, beat me some more. Cos he's still not funny.

Liked
    492 times
    name='Torquemada']Nah, beat me some more. Cos he's still not funny.

Nope, don't care whether or not you think he's funny (I don't particularly but then I'm not really his target audience). But I do care when people mess with the truth in order to be controversial Anyway as someone who fulminates endlessly at the politically correct brigade, I'd have thought you'd be a fan of the black and white minstrels

Liked
    6 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Nope, don't care whether or not you think he's funny (I don't particularly but then I'm not really his target audience). But I do care when people mess with the truth in order to be controversial Anyway as someone who fulminates endlessly at the politically correct brigade, I'd have thought you'd be a fan of the black and white minstrels

I don't know whether to wince or applaud.

Nah, I do really.

And Lenny has been funny. That's why thousands of 15-25 year olds were repeating catchphrases like "Oooooooh-kayyyyyyy!" for years. It must have been very difficult to ingratiate himself with the general public in a time when comedy's biggest names included Bernard Manning and TV shows like Love Thy Neighbour were pulling in big audiences. He lampooned himself with characters like Delbert Wilkins and gave people a reason to love the differences between Caucasians and Aficans rather than seeing them as something dark.

He's a fantastic character actor and I can think of no better exampl than Gareth Blackstock in Chef!, a role that must have been very difficult especially with the number of ranting soliloquys per episode.

Captan W rghtly mentioned the critically acclaimed Othello,moving into serious drama and doing it well is a real departure for any comedy star and, other than Billy Connelly, I can't think of abetter example of a comedian handling themselves so well in such a diverse role.

Children in Need was never as big a platform as Comic Relief for Lenny and he always worked tirelessly alongside fellow comedians to ensure the right message was put across.

Mind you, I'm just an ignoramus dso feel free to disagree with everything I've said and continue putting apostrophes in the wrong place.

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Could not care less whether he was or was not in anything to do with The Black & White Minstrel Show....very rarely found Lenny Henry remotely funny (will I too be lambasted....for stating that Tiswas was tripe?). And I never found Dawn French the slightest bit amusing. Ever. In anything.

All that said, separation is a personal matter (yes I know... "public personalities"... "comes with the territory" etc. etc.....) I don't wish upset on anyone and so feel sorry that what once seemed a solid partnership has sadly ended. I wish them both well.

Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Nope, don't care whether or not you think he's funny (I don't particularly but then I'm not really his target audience). But I do care when people mess with the truth in order to be controversial Anyway as someone who fulminates endlessly at the politically correct brigade, I'd have thought you'd be a fan of the black and white minstrels

Could you please point out where I have 'messed' with the truth, unless you mean my slight error in crossing over his time on Tiswas and appearance on the Black and White Minstrel's Show. And if you genuinely believe I would enjoy that trash then you just haven't been paying attention.

Liked
    0 times
    name='GoggleboxUK']I don't know whether to wince or applaud.

Nah, I do really.

Great seal impression.

You lot take things so personally, or at least make them personal. You need to take a step back and attack the argument and not th person. It's called intellectual debate - you should try it some time, instead of making silly personal attacks on people simply because their opinions differ from yours.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Ticked all the boxes as a perfect PC couple...........

No truth in the rumour that Lenny ate all the choccy oranges at Eatser ...........

How appalling is celebrity that you have to *announce* things that are nobody elses business really.........

GRAEME
    name='CaptainWaggett']Something he did on a tour when he was 17 long before he was on Tiswas because he was fairly naive at the time.

Sorry, Cap'n, he was on the TV show too.

BFI Screenline

I know the Wiki site says he only toured prior to New Faces - and the IMDB doesn't mention it at all - but I remember it and I've seen more recent clips.

I'm making no judgements about it though. It was a different era and he's regretted it ever since.

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    name='kingbman']Personally I think she has let herself go a bit now, her weight although cuddly is spiraling out of control and she really needs to address it, he has probably traded her in for a younger slimmer model

Eh? Her "cuddly" spiralled out of control yonks ago! The woman is morbidly obese -- not a pretty sight! Moreover, it's a very dangerous health hazard and she will not live long, mark my words! Have you ever seen anyone as grossly overweight as she is and aged over 70? I doubt it. Too much strain on the heart.

(Something like 4 kilometres of blood vessels in every kilo of fat makes the heart work very hard indeed.)

The first time I saw Lenny Henry many years ago, I thought he was very funny. We don't see him over here as much as you would over there, and the last few times I saw him, I found him unfunny and boring.

I've never thought Dawn French was very funny, but I've watched and enjoyed The Vicar of Dibley because she wasn't too bad in that, but mostly because the other characters were a riot.

Liked
    492 times
    name='Torquemada']Could you please point out where I have 'messed' with the truth, unless you mean my slight error in crossing over his time on Tiswas and appearance on the Black and White Minstrel's Show. And if you genuinely believe I would enjoy that trash then you just haven't been paying attention.

I'm not bothered with your opinion of his comedy because that's up to personal taste but you said that his career now consists of one appearance a year (utter rubbish - he does a lot of radio work, plus tv documentaries plus the most successful Shakespearian debut I can remember). Your rants (you know, when you start a thread so you can belittle anyone who doesn't agree with you ) work much better when you take the trouble to check your facts. Just as I should have done

And The Vicar of Dibley is one of the best sitcoms ever

Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']I'm not bothered with your opinion of his comedy because that's up to personal taste but you said that his career now consists of one appearance a year (utter rubbish - he does a lot of radio work, plus tv documentaries plus the most successful Shakespearian debut I can remember). Your rants (you know, when you start a thread so you can belittle anyone who doesn't agree with you ) work much better when you take the trouble to check your facts. Just as I should have done

And The Vicar of Dibley is one of the best sitcoms ever

Fair enough. I'm not much of a radio person (rubbish signal here and cannot get digital). And as for Dibley, we simply disagree, although I do think Emma Chambers is very good in it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast