Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    There are two DVD releases that came out in February and March 2010:

Quatermass 2 - The Classic 1955 BBC Television Version Starring John Robinson:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Quatermass-Classic-Television-Starring-Robinson/dp/B003CLRGI8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1270906689&sr=1-9]Amazon.com: Quatermass 2 - The Classic 1955 BBC Television Version Starring John Robinson: John Robinson, Hugh Griffith, Monica Grey, John Stone, Rudolph Cartier: Movies & TV[/ame]

and

Quatermass and The Pit - The Classic 1958-59 BBC Television Version Starring Andre Morell:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Quatermass-Pit-Classic-Television-Starring/dp/B0038MC1FO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1270906689&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: Quatermass and The Pit - The Classic 1958-59 BBC Television Version Starring Andre Morell: Andre Morell, Cec Linder, Anthony Bushell, Christine Finn, Rudolph Cartier: Movies & TV[/ame]

The fist serial is not available in Region 1 AFAICS.

Also, I am not sure who PR Studios is so I cannot attest to the quality of the transfers.

James

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    They've both been available on a Region 2 box set over here for a few years now and the quality on that is excellent.

Liked
    0 times
    name='darrenburnfan']They've both been available on a Region 2 box set over here for a few years now and the quality on that is excellent.

Are the Region 2 releases from PR Studios?

James

Liked
    98 times
    I can't see any reference to PR Studios on the DVD box, James. They are on the BBC DVD label. Title: The Quatermass Collection. Contains the first two episodes of The Quatermass Experiment (1953) (the remaining four episodes were never recorded); all the episodes from Quatermass II (1955) and all the episodes from Quatermass and the Pit (1958). This is a three disc set released in 2005 and is worth getting. All three serials have been digitally remastered and the 1958 one looks a treat. The catalogue number is BBC DVD 1478. It should still be available from amazon uk. Yes, here is the link.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quatermass-Collection-Experiment-Pit-DVD/dp/B000772838/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1270910523&sr=1-1"]The Quatermass Collection - The Quatermass Experiment / Quatermass 2 / Quatermass And The Pit DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Reginald Tate, Duncan Lamont, John Robinson, Hugh Griffith, Andre Morell, Rudolph Cartier: DVD[/ame]

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks!

I knew that set was released in Region 2 but it's not the same distributor. Here in NA we have to be careful as sometimes the distributors of British stuff are "on the cheap" (close to bootleg) quality. Since I don't know who PR Studios is, I mentioned it so people would be in "buyer beware" mode.

By the way, I read somewhere (rumor) that they may have found 3 more episodes of the 1953 serial. Just a rumor though.

James

Liked
    98 times
    I hope the rumour proves true. I remember watching the serial as a six year old in 1953 and I especially remember the climax in the last episode (episode six) where the monster is cornered and destroyed in Westminster Abbey. The serial was transmitted live during July and August, 1953, so I haven't seen the remaining four episodes for an incredible fifty-seven years!

Senior Member Country: UK lionheart's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    I searched the internet archive site , but they also only have the two surviving episodes.

Internet Archive: Free Download: The Quatermass Experiment - Incomplete

Cheers

Rich

Liked
    98 times
    Anyone watching the first two telerecorded episodes of The Quatermass Experiment who doesn't think the image is all that clear should be told that in 1953, telerecording (preserving a live television transmission by filming it off a television monitor) was in its infancy and the actual programme, when seen live, was much clearer. This is why, after telerecording the first two episodes, the BBC decided that the picture quality on the telerecordings was too poor to bother recording the last four episodes. By the time of the second series in 1955, the system had been vastly improved and by the time of the third series in late 1958, the system had been perfected. By then, of course, videotape recording was on the way in and soon there would be no need to telerecord programmes.

Liked
    98 times
    These two screen captures from the BBC DVD set clearly show how telerecording had improved in the five and a half years between July, 1953 and December, 1958. The Quatermass Experiment (top) and Quatermass and the Pit (bottom).

Liked
    0 times
    We think these are DVD-R discs. Not comfimed yet but we found other releases from this PR Studios that were. Will update when sure.

James

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I wish that rumour was true about 3 episodes of THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT being found I would certainly hope it would include the last episode? Where and when did this rumour start by the way?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Hi,

A few years ago, a series of e-mails appeared between The BBC and myself. I eventually started to hit my head against a brick wall. I distinctly remember circa 1969-1970-1971, a nostalgic programme which featured film of the "thing" growing inside Westminster Abbey. This matched the description of episode 6 and not the Poet's Corner sequence of episode 5. Therefore it did not match the famous still photo, which is featured in the Penguin book featuring the script. But I also have reason to believe the sound track is featured in the last Quatermass serial "THE QUATERMASS MEMOIRS" which was originally broadcast in the 1990's on Radio 3. They could only tell me what the music was. The serial also was shown in telerecorded form on Canadian television I believe. I have been trying to pluck up courage to resume my enquiries. I also read somewhere that the people who did the restoration, claim that there is no record or information regarding an industrial dispute which is referred later in this thread. The resume at the beginning was on film from the previous week's episode. Although there is recorded visual evidence that this may not have been the case for the Canadian broadacst.

The following is one of the e-mail responses I received from The BBC which makes interesting reading:-

Thank you for your e-mail regarding 'The Quatermass Experiment'.

It is great to read of your interest in the programme. We can advise that the only information that we have on the production is as follows:

Episode 1: Contact Has Been Established 18/07/53

Episode 2: Persons Reported Missing 25/07/53

Episode 3: Very Special Knowledge 01/08/53

Episode 4: Believed to be Suffering 08/08/53

Episode 5: An Unidentified Species 15/08/53

Episode 6: State of Emergency 22/08/53

Episodes one and two were recorded as Black and White 35mm film recording during live transmission. Episodes 3, 4 and 5 were filmed by BBC Presentation due to industrial action. Episode 6 was not recorded.

There. That is from the metaphoric horse's mouth. I hope all is not lost.

Alan French.

Liked
    98 times
    name='alan french' date='19 July 2010 - 04:35 PM' timestamp='1279553720' post='453847']

Episodes 3, 4 and 5 were filmed by BBC Presentation due to industrial action. Episode 6 was not recorded.

I assume, Alan, that the above is a typographical error on your part and that it should say that episodes 3. 4 and 5 were not filmed by BBC Presentation. But there is a bit of a mystery here, because if episode 6 was the only one not to be filmed, why would Canadian television show the serial when the last episode was missing?

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    When I was in junior school we used to sing a song about Quatermass, it was sung to the tune of Hernando's Hideaway, it went like this -

There was a man from outer space

Who had a scar upon his face

This scar was caused by burning gas

They call him Quatermass

For it to scan properly his name has to be pronounced Kway-ay-ay-ay-termass.

I was wondering if anyone else remembers this or was it just something that went round my school?

Liked
    109 times
    Hi,

Darrenburnfan: No. I wish it was. I copied and pasted that section from an e-mail sent to me by the BBC. I have just checked in case of a technical hitch. There is none. I experienced great difficulty on this subject, and a series of e-mails were exchanged between the BBC and myself.Too intricate to detail. But like you, I am curious. My opinion is this. If there was an industrial dispute, episodes 3,4 and 5 and maybe 6, were filmed by a different set of people under the heading of BBC Presentation. Therefore the tele-recordings would probably have been, what unions called "blacked". Therefore they could have ended up in a different place for storage. Maybe even sent to Canada. I have also thought the same as you.

The film of the plant thing growing up to the roof of Westminster Abbey, was briefly seen in a programme broadcast during one of the years that I said. It was on a bank holiday and was to best of my memory, called THE FIFTIES. I think it could have been a specially filmed insert during the live transmission of the serial. If I am wrong. Where did it come from. Interestigly enough, coincidence or significant, the idea of the programme was devised by Jaqueline McKenzie, who may have been Canadian.

With regard to the soundtrack in the Radio 3 broadcast of THE QUATERMASS MEMOIRS. This may have been a reconstruction. Or perhaps the sound track survives and not the tele-recording. If not. Where did it come from? All the BBC could tell me is what I have alredy said. That was details of the music. Which was, as most people know, MARS:BRINGER OF WAR from THE PLANET SUITE by Gustav Holst.

I did read that the people who re-mastered the Quatermass serials, a few years ago, found difficulty in finding out details regarding the industrial dispute. Also, they seemed to only have been able to re-master episode 1 and 2. Note there is no reference to BBC Presentation. This bit I am doing by memory.

The photos in the Penguin edition of THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT. I do not know if they are specially posed, form the broadcast or even from a rehearsal. There is insufficient evidence refering to their origin. The photograph of "The Thing In Westminster Abbey", is what I believe is the glove puppet, which Nigel Kneale operated in conjunction with a photograph, for scenery, of Poets' Corner.

The resume at the beginning of episode 2 of the previos weeks episode, is not how it was broadcast in the UK. Speculation is that this was for the Canadian broadcast or that the film resume (Pronounced reesuoomay) was of inferior quality when tele-recorded. Although I am wondering that with different cameras in the studio, while we were watching the film, another set of cameras were on the actors.

Hope I have not bored you. But anything you have thought, I have thought also. I would have thought that the BBC would have done a thorough Sherlock Holmes investigation. But perhaps they have. I know I was frustrated, and have not taken up as yet another go. Perhaps I will in the near future.

Alan French.

Liked
    98 times
    Hi, Alan,

As far as I know, the photos in the paperback book...which I also have...look like they would have been production stills taken at rehearsals for use in the Radio Times at the time to publicise the programme week by week. I was only six years old when I saw The Quatermass Experiment in July and August, 1953 and I'm 63 now and this is the problem. It's fifty-seven years ago this month and no doubt everyone connected with the programme is now dead. So it really is difficult to find out about things like this nearly sixty years after the event. Important documents relating to what happened to the film recordings of episodes 3 to 6, if they ever existed, may also have been thrown in the bin long ago. You really need to ask the BBC if they can put you in touch with a researcher who may have a few answers that an ordinary BBC employee answering emails wouldn't have access to. You may have more luck contacting someone at the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). Anyway, good luck with your research.

dbf.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    name='darrenburnfan' date='20 July 2010 - 08:07 PM' timestamp='1279652828' post='454370']

Hi, Alan,

As far as I know, the photos in the paperback book...which I also have...look like they would have been production stills taken at rehearsals for use in the Radio Times at the time to publicise the programme week by week. I was only six years old when I saw The Quatermass Experiment in July and August, 1953 and I'm 63 now and this is the problem. It's fifty-seven years ago this month and no doubt everyone connected with the programme is now dead. So it really is difficult to find out about things like this nearly sixty years after the event. Important documents relating to what happened to the film recordings of episodes 3 to 6, if they ever existed, may also have been thrown in the bin long ago. You really need to ask the BBC if they can put you in touch with a researcher who may have a few answers that an ordinary BBC employee answering emails wouldn't have access to. You may have more luck contacting someone at the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). Anyway, good luck with your research.

dbf.

I think Paddy Russell, who was an actress at the time of the first serial, and the lighting engineer, Michael Leeston-Smith, may still be alive. Paddy was certainly in frail health the last time I heard. She subsequently became Rudolph Cartier's assistant and later, a television director.

Liked
    109 times
    Hi darrenburnfan,Roger Thornhill and Gerald Lovell.

The copy I sent on this website, is from one of the replies I received a few years ago, when I last investigated. In fact it was before I joined britmovie. What you say is basically what I think. But it was at the time very difficult to get the matter resolved. In fact much hovered around BBC Information Department.

However, prior to logging in to britmovie today, and seeing your messages, I have contacted the BBC for confirmation if some missing episodes have been found. Now the BBC do have a strict procedure. Whether I have asked through their official web page for such questions remains to be seen. If you have never contacted them, you will not know what I mean. They have changed their systems in recent years.

I was 9 when the serial went out, and am now 66. I was frightened as from episode 3.

With regard to the poem, I recall one in 1953 at school. It referred to the doomed spaceman, Victor Caroon. All that I can remember is ,"Victor Caroon went to The Moon." Whether there was anymore, I am not sure. Oh! That last sentence also rhymes.

I found the comments concernig the two people who may still be alive interesting.

The only thing I would like to add before moving on, is that in the old days specially filmed inserts were usually credited with the name BBC Film Unit. Not BBC Presentation. This may be evidence of the industrial dispute.

I will keep you all posted.

Alan French.

Liked
    109 times
    Hi,

Just to confirm. The BBC website can be off putting. I have had no acknowledgement of receipt of my question. So to be on the safe side, I have looked at my e-mail records and sent a message to the BBC using a certain e-mail address. So one way or another, my question should have got through. I found this method easier and quicker than their website.

See what happens.

Alan French.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    The 'contact us' option on the BBC website is very poor IMO and resembles 'the circumlocution office' in dickens' 'little dorrit'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast