Liked
    0 times
    In the well known youtube clip of the Ross Sisters in Broadway Rhythm

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mVpGmoES3w]YouTube - Solid Potato Salad - The Ross Sisters (1944)[/ame]

a tune kicks in at 1:03 just before they start unfeasible contortions. Now I know that tune from elsewhere - must be another film where it was repeated as incidental music for example; I even wondered if it was used on a Tom and Jerry cartoon, but I can't locate it.

Help!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Sorry, can't focus on music when there are limber young ladies in skin tight clothing cavorting all over the screen.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    That isn't incidental music, it's part of the song they sang a little at the beginning, Solid Potato Salad (weird title). I see it was recorded by Nat King Cole. Could that have been where you heard it?

Liked
    0 times
    name='will.15']That isn't incidental music, it's part of the song they sang a little at the beginning, Solid Potato Salad (weird title). I see it was recorded by Nat King Cole. Could that have been where you heard it?

Hmmm...no, its definitely used as incidental music in the other film (or whatever) that I'm thinking of, and it keeps coming back to it, or at least there's a long sequence which keeps reprising it, just the refrain starting at 1:03. It must be in something because I immediately recognised it, though as Gogglebox suggests my immediate attention was then diverted

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Sir Henry

You're not wrong! That tune was used for a Tom and Jerry cartoon - it's the one where Jerry goes off to New York on his own and has a series of adventures, The theme was played throughout although it was a grander and more poignant version. Can't think of the title of the cartoon at the moment - possibly 'Broadway Mouse'?

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Just had a quick look on imdb - it's Mouse in Manhattan (1945)

Liked
    0 times
    name='glyn horton']Sir Henry

You're not wrong! That tune was used for a Tom and Jerry cartoon - it's the one where Jerry goes off to New York on his own and has a series of adventures, The theme was played throughout although it was a grander and more poignant version. Can't think of the title of the cartoon at the moment - possibly 'Broadway Mouse'?

Good man!!

Mouse in Manhattan

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6egdKxbvtbU]YouTube - Tom and Jerry - Mouse In Manhattan[/ame]

sanity saved!

Senior Member Country: Scotland bruiser15's Avatar
    Liked
    50 times
    That Tom & Jerry cartoon so ably described by Glyn is Mouse in Manhattan,

Here is it's wikipedia page with reference to the music used by Scott Bradley

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_in_Manhattan]Mouse in Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Edit: Too late but it's worth checking out the other uses of that particular piece of music, theme song for My Man Godfrey , Tom & Jerry Cartoon and The Godfather...

Liked
    0 times
    name='bruiser15']That Tom & Jerry cartoon so ably described by Glyn is Mouse in Manhattan,

Here is it's wikipedia page with reference to the music used by Scott Bradley

Mouse in Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: Too late but it's worth checking out the other uses of that particular piece of music, theme song for My Man Godfrey , Tom & Jerry Cartoon and The Godfather...

Ooh, now you've put the cat amongst the pigeons! Does this mean I first heard it on T&J and then whenever I catch the Godfather it gets bumped back up to the forefront of my conciousness. What bit is it in the Godfather? Off the top of my head maybe the start of the long segment that ends with the horse's head scene??

Anyhow, what this really means is that when I heard it on the video alluded to at the start, my subconscious must have conjured up an unholy combination of Tom and Jerry and The Godfather. Now that would be violent

Liked
    0 times
    The actual song is Manhattan Serenade written by Louis Alter.

Perhaps you may remember it announcing the arrival of Tom Hagen in Los Angeles...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qNa-R9lZ4s]YouTube - Manhattan Serenade - The godfather[/ame]

Liked
    0 times
    Ah, Sir Henry....you beat me to it !

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Anyone who has even a passing interest in animation and who hasn't yet watched Sir Henry's You Tube posting (above) of the Tom and Jerry classic "Mouse In Manhattan" from 1945 should do so without delay! It's been my favourite entry from the great Fred Quimby era for some years now (first saw it on Rolf Harris' excellent series "Cartoon Time") and it has all the Tom & Jerry hallmarks ; superb orchestral scoring, fabulously drawn animation and something that many studios cannot manage since then - expertly paced action!

The music alone is superb and made a major impact in it's own right when I first saw it.

Although Tom features only at the beginning and end, it's a brilliant adventure of a short film and is simply bursting with charm.

Watch it and it will be 8 minutes of your time that will be richly rewarded....

Liked
    0 times
    name='Freddie Freeloader']Ah, Sir Henry....you beat me to it !

well I'm eternally grateful you posted that - nice to know my old brain cells aren't completely pickled and I can actually recall something correctly

Liked
    0 times
    name='Edward G']Anyone who has even a passing interest in animation and who hasn't yet watched Sir Henry's You Tube posting (above) of the Tom and Jerry classic "Mouse In Manhattan" from 1945 should do so without delay! ....

Absolutely! And then for raw violence try "tee for two" or "missing mouse"

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Agreed Sir Henry!

My six year old daughter loves "Tee For Two".

The site of Jerry (or was it Tom?) being launched into orbit by a golf club sends her into delirium.

Must remember not to let her near the golf clubs.

name='SirHenry']Absolutely! And then for raw violence try "tee for two" or "missing mouse"

Liked
    0 times
    Now that Sir Henry's sanity has been restored what can we do to

help this unfortunate bass player ?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCYWaK-3cdw]YouTube - Reg Kehoe & His Marimba Queens - A Study in Brown[/ame]

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    What Tom and Jerry cartoon was that in?