Thread: Dr Who

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I would like to collect all the Dr Who episodes from when it started in 1963 to 1989 but it looks like it would cost a fortune to buy them individually does anyone know if I can get a mega Box set of these anywhere ?? I guess it would be a couple of hundred dvds many thanks for your help in advance.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    name='marker']I would like to collect all the Dr Who episodes from when it started in 1963 to 1989 but it looks like it would cost a fortune to buy them individually does anyone know if I can get a mega Box set of these anywhere ?? I guess it would be a couple of hundred dvds many thanks for your help in advance.

Related stories are being released on DVD by the BBC as box sets, but most are only issued individually, I'm afraid. The extras though are usually top of the range excellent.

Sadly many of the Hartnell stories and most of the Troughton ones only exist in audio form.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Amazon.com has had Mega sets for sale:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=doctor+who+megaset&sprefix=doctor+who+me]Amazon.com: doctor who megaset Movies & TV on DVD & Blu-ray[/ame]

But that's doesn't help you unless you have a region free player. Expensive as well.

You could try your local DVD retailer and ask about a volume discount if you order a whole slew of the DVDs. Just a thought.

James

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I have everything on video and DVD produced on "Doctor Who" from 1963 to present and have spent well over $1500 US over the past several years. Even at that to make my collection as complete as possible I had to fill-in with a few 'shady' copies of reconstructions.

But, as Gerald said there is no such as a truly complete collection because of the missing stories!

There no way around it to get them all you really have to pay a premium and you'll still come up short!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='WhoFan']I have everything on video and DVD produced on "Doctor Who" from 1963 to present and have spent well over $1500 US over the past several years. Even at that to make my collection as complete as possible I had to fill-in with a few 'shady' copies of reconstructions.

But, as Gerald said there is no such as a truly complete collection because of the missing stories!

There no way around it to get them all you really have to pay a premium and you'll still come up short!

Ouch I can see this is going to be hard work and lots of lolly I found a mega set on Ioffer but I don't expect it will be up to much

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I think I'd take the maga set if you're serious about investing in 'Doctor Who', it'll give you a good start and probably include the best stuff. As you get more into it, you can decide on the lost years stuff if the reconstructions from telesnaps and readings from past actors intirgue you.

I complain about the cost and the missing stuff, but every chance I get to find something new I jump....because I love this stuff!

I'm not just addicted to the 'Doctor' anymore, it's more classic Brit scifi, because of the mystery of missing episodes, the quality (with little or no money) and the actors! Maybe it's just good old 'English Charm'

Good luck! IMHO: I think you'll get hooked and love it!

Senior Member Country: UK Sleepin_Dragon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    You can pick some of the dvds up very very cheaply. Play.com offers playtrader where people sell dvds privately, lots of who stories can be got for 4 or 5 pounds each. The Sontaran Experiment is on there for just over 3 quid

Senior Member Country: UK Sleepin_Dragon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Play.com has a brand new Trial of a Timelord set for 6 pounds, dirt cheap.