Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi

I have had this dvd for a while and as you will know, it is in 4;3 format 1;133 and has black bars either side. However a pal of mine has run it through some film software and has put it in its correct ratio without black bars. I know they are not always spot on with their info but IMDB have a hill in korea as 1:37.1 Fullscreen picture as the original print format.

So far watching it code away on screen the picture quality is superb,there is no loss of quality and its now looking right, i think optimum have cocked up here as in fact they have their dvd top menu page in 16:9 widescreen which is ok for new tvs but the film is in fact in 4:3 format which is Wrong ! there should be no black bars anywhere.

So now on this version thats been run through the software, there are no black bars and no cropped picture. it fills the screen

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    I've read through this a couple of times now and can't quite make sense of it.

Are you watching on a 4:3 or a 16:9 TV?

Liked
    0 times
    Mine is a 16.9 tv, BUT if I put it on my 4;3 tv you still get the black bars either side. However after my mate ran it through some software he now has it filling the screen with no loss of picture. Basically it has been reformnatted to its correct ratio of 1.137 instead of Optimums 1;133

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    The black 'bars' must look more like stripes. If there was no overscan, you might get to see a line of 1.5% of the width of your screen each side of the image.

Liked
    0 times
    The black bars are pretty wide either side of the picture. Probably taking up about 1/5th of the screen. He has reformatted it to make it fill the screen without stretching it or cropping it. looks 100% better now.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='paul clifton']The black bars are pretty wide either side of the picture. Probably taking up about 1/5th of the screen.

It sounds like the disc may be anamorphic 1.33:1 if that makes any sense. By this, I mean it will play correctly in "full" mode on 16:9 TV's rather than requiring the viewer to switch to "normal" as one would usually have to do when watching a 1.33:1 film. If you're watching it on a 4:3 TV then you probably have to alter one of the settings in the set-up menu of either the TV or player.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi mate

no, whatever tv you play it on it has black bars either side. UNLESS you use the ZOOm function on the tv. Basically what im saying is my mate has made it Anamorphic (I think)

Liked
    0 times
    Someone on amazon wrote: "Nice wide screen copy, almost full frame at 1.66.1." No one has complained of any problems with it.

If viewed on a 16:9 TV then it should have black bars at the sides (but if not anamorphic you would need to zoom in to watch it) and on a 4:3 TV then it should appear with black bars at top and bottom.

Liked
    0 times
    yes its the full picture that Optimum have supplied BUT if viewed on a wide screen tv you get black bars either side as it was originlly shot in full frame 1.133 NOT widescreen. the box says its 1.166 but thats incorrect. Its original ratio is 1.137.My mate has basically reformatted it so its anamorphic and it now fills the screen of a wide screen tv without any cropping of the picture etc. Which is what i feel Optimum should have done to start with etc

Liked
    2 times
    It could be that, using software, the disc was was simply "re-flagged" into being "4:3 centre cutout" when viewed on a 4:3 TV and the disc continues to play as 16:9 when viewed on a 16:9 TV? This is easy to do with software, and I do this all the time when I record a 16:9 programme to DVD because the recorder always records at 4:3 so the picture plays vertically-stretched on a 4:3 TV.