Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Onedin' timestamp='1280319712' post='457321']

What a shame......... cultural heritage should be treasured, not demolished............
    True, but it's a small, crowded island. We can't keep it all.

Look how long it has taken to demolish the ugly concrete car park in Gateshead that had 10 seconds of fame when Michael Caine threw someone from the roof of it in Get Carter.

Everything is of cultural significance to someone

Steve

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    name='smudge' timestamp='1271761537' post='417068']

I'm afraid that well over 10 years ago the land price alone, for the development of a small house adjacent to Bray on the river, was �1million; so there's a heck of a lot of profit to be made from housing there even now.

It is going to be a hard fight!

Smudge

Surely having Michael Parkinson and Rolf Harris as your neighbours must bring the price down a bit?

Can you imagine the local pub with Parkinson in there droning on

about himself all day and how terrible the BBC is since he left it and then Rolf Harris heavy breathing with false modesty - nightmare.

Liked
    151 times

Bray Studio owner's plan to convert into his home

11:19am Thu 29th Jul 10:: written by Sonia Kapur

The owner of the iconic Bray Studios has revealed his vision to convert the historic site into his family home.

The spiritual home of cult British films could be converted into a 15-bedroom house for Neville Hendricks and his family. The restored main building could be surrounded by seven homes and an office for Neville's TV production company that produced Kate and Peter: The Next Chapter.

A formal planning application is due to be submitted to the Royal Borough within the next two months.

Neville, 52, organised an open day this week for people to learn more about his project - which many used as an opportunity for a final look around the world-famous location.

He spoke about his plans in an exclusive interview with reporter Sonia Kapur.

What is your view of Bray Studios and why are you proposing this?

I have been here for 20 years. I was the person to put the money up to save it in 1990. But the studio is no longer viable. The house is listed so I would rather spend the money restoring the house and making it into my home - rather than a business that is not working.

What has the business been like since you took it over?

It has been a rollercoaster. The problem is that if we would have to pump a lot of money into the business to compete with the likes of Pinewood and Shepperton Studios.

Nostalgia is one thing, but the reality of business is another.

What do you think the main issue has been with the business?

There is only so much business you can generate in a small site like this. To go to the next level, you are talking about an investment in excess of £10m. I am not prepared to pump that money into a business that might not work.

There is not enough business to sustain studios. Over a period of time a lot of them will go.

What has been happening at Bray Studios over the last 20 years?

We have sustained ourselves through bands who have come here to rehearse ahead of concerts. We have had Freddie Mercury, Eric Clapton and Cliff Richard. They used to come here every year.

They used to find it difficult to get into the other bigger studios. The difference now is that the bigger studios are being hit by the recession so they are now using it for rehearsals.

Has anyone made you an offer to buy the studio?

No one has made me a offer and I wouldn't sell it.

Why do you want to live here?

This is going to be my home - for me, my children and grandchildren. I have been looking at the market and I know they cannot really afford to buy anywhere. This house is too big for only me so I will move them all in here with me.

How big will your home be?

There will be about 14 to 15 bedrooms. The house is over 15,000 square ft. It will be something substantial.

How much work is needed to be done?

We have to take the roof off first and then speak to English Heritage as it is a listed building. We have no mains gas or drainage.

I am hoping that work will be done in time so I can come to the Olympics in my back garden - in Dorney Lake!

Will there be memorabilia on the site?

There will probably be in the media centre (offices) as I want to keep some history.

Are you a fan of the films that were made here?

I like films but there is nothing here now. To me it's bricks and mortar. The history is in the film and the footage. All the people who have lived here and worked here, are long gone.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook' timestamp='1280325030' post='457348']

Look how long it has taken to demolish the ugly concrete car park in Gateshead that had 10 seconds of fame when Michael Caine threw someone from the roof of it in Get Carter.

Steve

Yes, but how many times is that going to be an excuse? We had around 100 studios - now how many are left? I think (excluding those that cropped up over the past 20 years) it's under 10! Several are now purely television studios and two have been greatly reduced in size after developers got their hands on the backlots. Let's have SOME studios left!!

Today is the last day to register your views with the developer, by the way! See www.savebraystudios.com for more details.

I hope more people will join the facebook group, too!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    name='Steve Crook' timestamp='1280325030' post='457348']

Steve

True Steve, but surely we can allow irrational sentiment some house room too. These old studio buildings, ugly though they are, hold a special place in many people's affections.

Senior Member Country: UK Onedin's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    name='alan gowdy' timestamp='1281443211' post='462749']

True Steve, but surely we can allow irrational sentiment some house room too. These old studio buildings, ugly though they are, hold a special place in many people's affections.
    My thoughts exactly........I have never had the pleasure to visit any of the studios yet, but I do think historic sites like these should be preserved as listed property as they hold a lot of British film history. I can fully imagine that these buildings and sites hold incredible sentimental value as well as historical. I am very much an advocate of saving and keeping such buildings and sites, if only for those reasons. So much is getting demolished already and that's a very sad thing.

I hope that website will get enough response to save these studios!

Liked
    418 times
    name='alan gowdy' timestamp='1281443211' post='462749']

name='Onedin' timestamp='1281524976' post='463100']

My thoughts exactly........I have never had the pleasure to visit any of the studios yet, but I do think historic sites like these should be preserved as listed property as they hold a lot of British film history. I can fully imagine that these buildings and sites hold incredible sentimental value as well as historical. I am very much an advocate of saving and keeping such buildings and sites, if only for those reasons. So much is getting demolished already and that's a very sad thing.

I hope that website will get enough response to save these studios!

I wish them well in their campaign. But they face an uphill battle if they're trying to save them by claiming that they're a historic site. There are a lot of other sites in these islands that are a lot more historic and are in need of saving. Also, the Bray studios were never exactly one of the major British studios. Not like Pinewood or Denham

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Onedin's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    name='Steve Crook' timestamp='1281526634' post='463108']

I wish them well in their campaign. But they face an uphill battle if they're trying to save them by claiming that they're a historic site. There are a lot of other sites in these islands that are a lot more historic and are in need of saving. Also, the Bray studios were never exactly one of the major British studios. Not like Pinewood or Denham

Steve
    But then again, the thing with British film is, is very new history. It's not like the British Film Industry has been around since, say, the 1800s...........

Liked
    418 times
    name='Onedin' timestamp='1281527844' post='463112']

But then again, the thing with British film is, is very new history. It's not like the British Film Industry has been around since, say, the 1800s...........
    Yes, that's why I say that I think they'll have problems if they claim that it's a historic site. There are a lot of other sites that are a lot more historic. Today's news includes reports of a dwelling place in Yorkshire that dates back to 8,500 B.C.

British film has been around for over 100 years. But even if you just include locations to do with British film then Bray studios aren't massively important or historic. There are a lot of other studios that are more important to the history of British film that still exist.

But I do wish them well in their campaign. I just think that they're taking the wrong line on it by claiming that Bray is historic.

The 2nd article refers to "The spiritual home of cult British films". How many people know which cult British films were made there? The films that were made there aren't particularly associated with that studio. Not like Ealing films were with the Ealing studio or like Rank films were with Pinewood.

But I do wish them well in their campaign

Steve

Senior Member Country: Lithuania Cooper S's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    name='Steve Crook' timestamp='1281529784' post='463120']

The 2nd article refers to "The spiritual home of cult British films". How many people know which cult British films were made there? The films that were made there aren't particularly associated with that studio. Not like Ealing films were with the Ealing studio or like Rank films were with Pinewood.

I would have thought that most people would agree that Hammer films are as closely linked to Bray as the Ealing comedies are to Ealing, so I don't think it's right to say there isn't a specific link to a well recognised brand of British films.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Cooper S' timestamp='1281536152' post='463165']

I would have thought that most people would agree that Hammer films are as closely linked to Bray as the Ealing comedies are to Ealing, so I don't think it's right to say there isn't a specific link to a well recognised brand of British films.
    I wouldn't have said that I knew where Hammer films were made - or not until I looked it up as a part of this thread. But I'm not a particular fan of horror films, not even of Hammer horror films

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    There has been a lot more filmed here besides Hammer films. A vast amount of television shows, including Space: 1999, Terrahawks, Dick Spanner, Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, The Detectives, Jeeves & Wooster, Murder Most Horrid and Poirot have been shot at Bray, as has SFX work for many films.

As Steve pointed out, yes the British Film Industry has been around since the 1800s! Unfortunately, of the 100+ studios we have had, not many more than 10 survive today (excluding fairly modern studios) - and of those, 3 are used as television studios and 1 is a film school. Wouldn't it be nice to preserve what little we have left of the industry?

For those who do want to support the cause and give it some publicity, there are now T-Shirts and memorabila available!

www.cafepress.co.uk/savebray

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    One of the many horrible symptoms of massive over-population, 80 MILLION and counting.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    name='Steve Crook' timestamp='1281537280' post='463174']

But I'm not a particular fan of horror films, not even of Hammer horror films

Steve

I just knew you were a big fan of Mr Pastry films Steve!

EE

Leg pulling to one side the guy that owns Bray seems to have no interest in history and said "To me it's bricks and mortar". Not much hope for another part of British movie history.

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Does anyone know what the latest is with regards to Bray Studios and the planned redevelopment there? Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12