Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I really loved this early J Lee Thompson film, written by Ted Willis and starring Yvonne Mitchell, Anthony Quayle and Sylvia Sims. Yvonne Mitchell turns in great performance as the lady in the title, permanently on the edge, it seemed to me. Some very memorable and emotional scenes and an early starring role for Anthony Quayle who is very pensive throughout.

I only had chance to see it quite recently - I'm quite sure it hasn't been on UK TV for over 20 years. And I undertand it was originally an ITV play which has, unfortunately, been wiped.

I'm desperately hoping for a DVD release - a really forgotten gem, IMO.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknorth
    I really loved this early J Lee Thompson film, written by Ted Willis and starring Yvonne Mitchell, Anthony Quayle and Sylvia Sims. Yvonne Mitchell turns in great performance as the lady in the title, permanently on the edge, it seemed to me. Some very memorable and emotional scenes and an early starring role for Anthony Quayle who is very pensive throughout.

I only had chance to see it quite recently - I'm quite sure it hasn't been on UK TV for over 20 years. And I undertand it was originally an ITV play which has, unfortunately, been wiped.

I'm desperately hoping for a DVD release - a really forgotten gem, IMO.

Ted Willis wrote some great, very compelling ' kitchen sink ' dramas but sadly mostly in the era of wiped television , I suppose we are lucky that this was adapted for the big screen with a super cast and production, which as you say use to be a perennial of Sunday afternoon TV.

The TV companies seem to have a library now of about 100 films which they show again and again . All the minor classics like WIADG dont get a look in now.

You can understand why people like the Carry on films now -because they have been shown so many times people have been brainwashed into liking them or else

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    It was televised on channel 4 one afternoon in 1994 when I taped it and still enjoy today, I recall the time as I started yet another job a week later, I'm unsure if it's been on TV since, there's a thread or two on the forum about the film, a real gem of a drama, poor Amy, she did try.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Teacake

The TV companies seem to have a library now of about 100 films which they show again and again . All the minor classics like WIADG dont get a look in now.

You can understand why people like the Carry on films now -because they have been shown so many times people have been brainwashed into liking them or else
    True. I often wonder who's in charge of these things? I suppose it must be deliberate policy. I've really had my eyes opened to just what we're missing through IMDb and through various torrent trackers. The mind boggles as to the breadth and scope of UK cinema throughout the 20th century. But if you were to rely on TV you'd think the UK turned out no more than a couple of films a year. History by omission.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O
    It was televised on channel 4 one afternoon in 1994 when I taped it and still enjoy today, I recall the time as I started yet another job a week later, I'm unsure if it's been on TV since, there's a thread or two on the forum about the film, a real gem of a drama, poor Amy, she did try.
    Thanks, I'll check out those other threads. Yes, poor Amy, such a moving performance. I hadn't really noticed Yvonne Mitchell before and was then delighted to realise I'd seen her in 1984 with Peter Cushing, and the Oscar Wilde movie with Peter Finch.

Hard to believe 1994 is 16 bloody years ago. I'd just graduated, seems like yesterday.