Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    heres ex security guard tom humpries on his 100 th birthday in our local paper

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    Had many chats with Tom in the 60s and 70s.... Well done sir.....

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    aitch tom also did alot of film extra work aswell from Superman 2 to Victor Victoria

Member Country: France
    Liked
    6 times
    I have just joined & My god,-Where did you get these call sheets from-I was at Pinewood from 1957 & on & off as both 3rd & 2nd Asst on many films there, I was a production runner not only on the first Carry On-'Carry on Sergeant' & then both 3rd & 2nd Asst on some of the later ones,but also runner on quite a few others-seeing these call sheets,albeit after my time there took me back to my youth for I used to ,as an Asst Director compose them in my office freehand!!! & then after consultation with the First Asst,take them to the Roneo room to be typed & copied(often up to 60/70 copies) & then have the runner distribute them-Before,I as a runner got to know Pinewood by heart just by distributing the call sheets often taking up to an hour to do so,to every Dept in the Studios-I used to have a huge collection of not only call sheets but original scripts with my notes with cues for directing the crowd artists but one day in a fit of fury my first wife threw boxes of them away!!!I cant wait to hear from you(I moved to the South of France over 31 years ago!)
    ,a bientot, 'Expat'
    Last edited by Steve Crook; 10-03-12 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Forum rules say don't post email addresses

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    An exciting moment came soon after, when I made my first visit to Pinewood Studios – famously the home of the James Bond films – where I had been hired to play a soldier for a couple of days in the Morecambe and Wise comedy ‘The Magnificent Two’. About twenty of us arrived and were duly kitted out as soldiers and taken to Black Park, a lake and country park situated just behind the studios, a location famously used in many of the Hammer films. We spent the first day firing our guns and running about the trees and bushes. As shooting progressed, I got to meet some of the other extras and they had been in the business for a long time, so I made sure I stayed at the back of all the shots I was in. One guy I was teamed up with was Phil Parkes and he set me straight on what to do in shot. I got to work with him many more times and became good friends and I must put on record my thanks for looking after the ‘new boy’ Phil. On another day, about twenty scantily dressed girls turned up dressed as troopers….I was looking forward to the hand to mouth combat...but alas, it never happened! I was to work with Eric and Ernie again, many years later on a live kids’ show called CBTV.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    I have just joined & My god,-Where did you get these call sheets from-I was at Pinewood from 1957 & on & off as both 3rd & 2nd Asst on many films there, I was a production runner not only on the first Carry On-'Carry on Sergeant' & then both 3rd & 2nd Asst on some of the later ones,but also runner on quite a few others-seeing these call sheets,albeit after my time there took me back to my youth for I used to ,as an Asst Director compose them in my office freehand!!! & then after consultation with the First Asst,take them to the Roneo room to be typed & copied(often up to 60/70 copies) & then have the runner distribute them-Before,I as a runner got to know Pinewood by heart just by distributing the call sheets often taking up to an hour to do so,to every Dept in the Studios-I used to have a huge collection of not only call sheets but original scripts with my notes with cues for directing the crowd artists but one day in a fit of fury my first wife threw boxes of them away!!!I cant wait to hear from you(I moved to the South of France over 31 years ago!)
    ,a bientot, 'Expat'
    Hello Don. Welcome to the forum. I got these call sheets when I worked at Pinewood, starting in '68. There was a security desk, if you remember, in a reception area at the junction of the two hallways (to the left the hallway ran past A to D Stages and straight ahead to the Sound and Cutting Room Departments) opposite the admin block. When you entered this area from the 'cover way' outside, there was a desk to the right and they had call sheets and daily schedules for all the features and TV filming that day. Anybody could take them and often I took advantage of it.
    Check the Kine Weekly and Daily Cinema threads, that I put up, I am sure they will bring back a lot of memories for you.
    Last edited by Steve Crook; 10-03-12 at 11:48 AM. Reason: forum rules say don't post email addresses

Member Country: France
    Liked
    6 times
    Hullo Stephen,
    Of course I remember it well-When I was there Mrs Flack was on the reception/security desk & I used to pin up my call sheets there at the end of my round-I will look on the 2 threads you list above.
    More to come;
    Don

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    PINEWOOD GREEN, ENGLAND � The board room at Pinewood Studios is disturbingly baroque. The ceiling sags with chandeliers. Gilt-edged paneling dresses every inch of wall. At one end a cold-eyed movie mogul, the late J. Arthur Rank, grins from his painted portrait. It hangs above a sideboard bearing an electric burner. "IMPORTANT! COFFEE MUST NOT BOIL" reads a label on the machine, atop of which two pots contain smoking black sludge. At the other end of the room, far, far away, a filigreed mirror. The chasm between is filled by a table and 20 padded chairs. In front of each, a sea-green blotter. Natural light, diffused through curtains, washes in from a bank of windows.

Time passes slowly here, if at all. Portentous pops from the burner occasionally break the silence. Thus brewing anarchy threatens stolid formalism. It could be a scene out of a Stanley Kubrick film.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ubrick1987.htm

Sounds more like Miss Havisham's drawing room.............

Liked
    153 times
    When I started at Pinewood in August, 1968, construction was going on on the back-lot for a film called "THE CHAIRMAN" with Gregory Peck and Anne Heywood, directed by J.Lee Thompson. The art department, headed by Peter Mullins, constructed some impressive sets such as the huge Chinese compound with a village. This set was built right next to black park approximately where L & M Stages now reside. I believe the village was transformed from the Spanish village that was built for "Finders Keepers" and "The Magnificent Two" and others.
    I watched "THE CHAIRMAN" (released theatrically in the UK as "The Most Dangerous Man in the World") again and there is an impressive panning shot of the set which I have illustrated below in a series of screen grabs:

In this first screen grab which is the beginning of the panning shot you are looking straight in the direction of Black Park:

The camera follows the truck (containing Hathaway (Peck) at the edge of the village and is now approaching the entrance to the compound:

The truck enters the compound. The trees of Black Park visible in the background:

An impressive crane shot as the camera soars high above the entrance to reveal the full set. Black Park to the left, the 'apex' of the back lot immediately behind and to the right looking toward the trees of the outskirts of the studios. The rest of the studio is immediately behind the camera:

I recall a couple of interesting experiences. On one occasion walking down the hall past A,B,C and D stages, Gregory Peck walked past me quietly rehearsing his lines to himself.
    In February, 1969, in my capacity as a projectionist, I ran some edited reels of the film for composer Jerry Goldsmith. After the screening I went outside and had a brief conversation with him and asked him if I could attend the music recording sessions which were to take place on Scoring stage 'L' at Shepperton Studios. He granted me permission and I had a great time. Director J. Lee Thompson also visited the sessions.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Yes - I can recognise the Finders Keepers bits.

Before (1967):

After (1970):

Liked
    153 times
    More promotion on the opening of the Theatre 7 complex:

Liked
    153 times

Liked
    153 times

Liked
    153 times
    PINEWOOD STUDIOS - THE SECOND THIRTY YEARS: A supplement from "The Daily Cinema" (1965/6)

Liked
    153 times
    Part Two.....

Liked
    153 times
    Part Three:

Liked
    153 times
    Part Four: