Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I was just putting the glorious My Body May Die from the soundtrack of the Reeves and Mortimer version of Randall and Hopkirk onto a compilation (yes, I know, I still do them, it's my generation, you see) and wondered if there is any love for the series on these boards.

The little I saw of it didn't impress me too much (didn't completely turn me off, either), but Play.com has a box of both series for 7 quid, so I wondered ... is it worth seven whole pounds, and the requisite hours of my life?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    The first series was pretty poor, not helped by the leads being in the wrong roles. Churubic not too tall Bob should have played the Hopkirk part and the bigger Vic play the Randall role.

The second series was a vast improvement, partly due to Jeff/Bob being considerably toughened up. Overall though to take a leaf from the original series, it should never have seen the light of day.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I quite liked it especially when Tom Baker turned up. Lots of great guest stars helped though it suffered from the two leads just not being different enough. Certainly worth �7 though

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    Wrong series Captain. Rowden is talking about the Reeves and Mortimer remake.

Liked
    492 times
    name='Tigon Man']Wrong series Captain. Rowden is talking about the Reeves and Mortimer remake.

Yes, I know. Though in fairness to me, he doesn't actually say that.

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    I think I actually preferred the first series of the remake to the second, but I didn't honestly think either was that good. Especially since the original was so excellent and is my personal favourite of the ITC Cult series. I don't think Reeves and Mortimer should ever have been picked to play the leads. They are both very good stand-up comedians but they are lousy actors. Emilia Fox was very good as Jean though.

wellendcanons.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Randall and Hopkirk is not one of my favourite ITC programmes, but even that looks like a work of high art compared to the dreadful remake.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Yes, I know. Though in fairness to me, he doesn't actually say that.

Ooh! Ooh! I say!! I think, quoting my original post, that "the Reeves and Mortimer version of Randall and Hopkirk..." is fairly clear.

Liked
    492 times
    name='Rowdon']Ooh! Ooh! I say!! I think, quoting my original post, that "the Reeves and Mortimer version of Randall and Hopkirk..." is fairly clear.

Oops I stand by my opinion that it's not bad at all and it had some good guest stars.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The original version was at least passible and some of the episodes were ok - as for the remake IMHO it should have been consigned to the scrapbin before there was even any thought of screening it on TV - it was awful.

Very few remakes are a success - the recent Prisoner being a case in poin.t

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    name='johng']The original version was at least passible and some of the episodes were ok - as for the remake IMHO it should have been consigned to the scrapbin before there was even any thought of screening it on TV - it was awful.

Very few remakes are a success - the recent Prisoner being a case in poin.t

Couldn't agree more.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    name='Tigon Man']Wrong series Captain. Rowden is talking about the Reeves and Mortimer remake.
    ....in which Tom Baker was one of the stars playing Hopkirk's 'mentor' Wyvern.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    I thought the series resembled one of th p***-take tv show clips from their 'shooting stars' show!

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    name='Tigon Man']The first series was pretty poor, not helped by the leads being in the wrong roles. Churubic not too tall Bob should have played the Hopkirk part and the bigger Vic play the Randall role.

The second series was a vast improvement, partly due to Jeff/Bob being considerably toughened up. Overall though to take a leaf from the original series, it should never have seen the light of day.

Got to disagree with you on the casting Tigon... apparently Vic & Bob had assumed Vic would be Randall but the casting/production people insisted he be the ghostly Hopkirk, and quite right too IMHO. I have always seen Bob as Vic's (willing) stooge and Randall was surely the "straight man" to the quirky, surreal Hopkirk, so I'm firmly of the opinion they appeared in the correct respective roles.

Still - as jaycad says - it was really little more than an overstretched version of one of their spoofs. The novelty wore off for me by about episode three.