Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Not sure if this particular thread has been investigated before, but here goes anyway.

I'm doing a project for our Local History society regarding what may well be by now demolished properties for the care of the mentally needy.

Am seeking titles of films and TV programmes that were actually filmed in any of these institutions not just had them as a topic.

These locations can be anywhere around the UK.

Thanks anyone

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Bedlam was filmed at the former Halliwick mental institution at Friern Barnet in North London, it's since been demolished and replaced with Flats.

Many of the Victorian built buildings at Warley (Brentwood, Essex) institution are still there and in use, though part of it has been converted into a housing estate, the former Church is now Flats.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Check out n

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Asylum (2005) with Ian McKellen was filmed in High Royds Mental Hospital near Leeds. It was not being used as a hospital at the time and has since been redeveloped for housing.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    The recent movie Bronson was filmed in Rampton and there was a documentary Inside Rampton made in 1993

BFI | Film & TV Database | INSIDE RAMPTON (1993)

Senior Member Country: Ireland fluddite's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    BBC4 are running a "mental health" strand in association with the OU, starting next Monday (17th May) with this:

BBC - BBC Four Programmes - Mental: A History of the Madhouse

Judging from the advance blurb in next week's RT, the whole season - and this prog in particular - looks v. promising....

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Beaten to it by fluddite!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Thankyou to everyone so far, and thankyou to Fluddite. Have already spotted the BBC 4 upcoming programme.

As things have it Channel 4 at the very same time and on the same day are documentarising the beginnings of the Mental Health provision for the Royal Navy in the 1700's!

Do I remember some of the British horror films of the early 1970's going through quite a fad for Victorian asylums and whatnot?

Liked
    0 times
    name='Rick C']Thankyou to everyone so far, and thankyou to Fluddite. Have already spotted the BBC 4 upcoming programme.

As things have it Channel 4 at the very same time and on the same day are documentarising the beginnings of the Mental Health provision for the Royal Navy in the 1700's!

Do I remember some of the British horror films of the early 1970's going through quite a fad for Victorian asylums and whatnot?

Well there's 'Asylum' (1972) which was another film with a classic compendium of horror stories.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    and 'Tales that Witness Madness' and "Frankenstein and Monster from Hell' (the outdoor set for which was where the Big Brother house now stands)

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    name='Rick C']

The Creeping Flesh (1973) too.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    Frien Barnet hospital wasn't demolished but converted into flats, there is a 3 bed flat for sale there at �899k, you need to mad to pay that.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='Rick C']I'm doing a project for our Local History society regarding what may well be by now demolished properties for the care of the mentally needy.These locations can be anywhere around the UK.
    Web Sites like this one can be pretty cool........

Urban exploration: Hellingly hospital (East sussex mental asylum)

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Pete Walker's gloomy setting for H.O.W. was filmed for real in an abandoned institution-very dispiriting interiors-this 'House Of Correction' location was mentioned in Steve Chibnall's book: 'Making Mischief' I must dig out the book again to re-read (if I can find it!). Sheila Keith in a great performance as sadistic 'Walker' where she plays a prison wardress.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Moor Larkin,

Fully agree on the strange, surreal and errily beautiful images that are out there of our decaying asylums. When I worked in the NHS a lifetime ago I was once spent a few days in the supply dept working at this place....

http://www.opacity.us/image4347_administration.htm

name='Moor Larkin']Web Sites like this one can be pretty cool........

Urban exploration: Hellingly hospital (East sussex mental asylum)