Liked
    0 times
    Hello,

In 1979 I had the pleasure of visiting London and one night watched a really good black and white film on television. All I can remember about the film was that it centered around two brothers and I believe one of them was confined to a wheel chair. It was a murder mystery, thriller type film with a twist at the end. One brother was portrayed as the "good" one through the film but at the end you find out that he was really the evil one...and if I can remember correctly he was only pretending to be confined to the wheel chair.

I have wanted to know the name of this film for the past 31 years. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Medea

Liked
    0 times
    the film is called The Other iirc

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The good brother in The Other (1972) is not in a wheelchair.

Liked
    0 times
    hmmm! But is there not an old dude in a wheelchair? So long ago

Liked
    0 times
    Hello,

I believe we are speaking of two different films. I have seen the film The Other made in 1972 and it is not the film I am trying to find. I will search some more.

Medea

Liked
    0 times
    I think that this could be an Australian film called End Play.

Liked
    0 times
    Hello again,

Sorry to be a pain but I have another question about this. The 1972 film called The Other is not the correct film. The film I saw was black and white and as far as I can remember it was an older film...maybe from the 1940s or 1950s.

The older of the two brothers was in the wheel chair and I believe the actor who player the younger brother had black hair.

Thanks again to anyone who can help me with this.

Medea

Liked
    0 times
    I don't know it, but just to get more information. Are the brothers adults?

Liked
    0 times
    Hello,

Yes, both brothers are adults.

Medea

Liked
    0 times
    Hello,

Yes Speedy I think you have it!! I did a search and from what I read it looks like the film probably is End Play. The description sounds very similar to what I remember. I guess because I saw it while in London I assumed it was a British film. The only thing is I was pretty sure the movie I watched was in black and white but like I said it was 31 years ago so my memory may be wrong. It is also possible that maybe I viewed the film on a black and white television...I cannot remember that either.

Thank you everyone for being so kind and helping me figure this one out. Now, all I have to do to find out where I can get my hands on a copy. I would LOVE to see it again.

Medea

Liked
    0 times
    Did you check out Speedy's suggestion? It's in color, but reading about it on the imdb it has the same set-up and user reviews refer to a twist at the end. They don't want to give it away, but I notice no one specifies which of the brothers is the killer so it sounds like the brother in the wheelchair.

Never mind.

Liked
    0 times
    Sorry I missed this thread as I could have answered it straightaway. END PLAY was an excellent film with a clever twist - and just to clinch it, it received its one and only TV showing at 10:00 on BBC 2 on Sunday 15th July 1979. Broadcast in colour, but of course you may have been watching on a black and white set. For years I had it on video which eventually stopped playing. I would love to see it again.

Liked
    0 times
    Hello Mr. Cosmo,

Thank you for that information. I was in London from June 20 until about July 30, 1979 so I must have caught that broadcast. Knowing that I happened to see it's only TV broadcast makes it all the more special for me. I tried to surf around to see if a copy was available for purchase but so far I have not had any luck. I will post again if I find it.

Thank you to everyone for being so helpful!

Medea

Liked
    0 times
    Yes this was one of the films made in Australia during their golden period which saw the likes of Breaker Morant and Picnic at Hanging Rock.
      Spoiler:
    This seems to be less regarded than these but was one of my favourites, particularly as the 'good' brother was played by my favourite Aussie actor of the time - John Waters. The brother was played by George Mallaby and was a paralympic crossbow archer who murdered pretty blond hitchhikers I think with a crossbow arrow.
    After a long time I managed to track down a video copy of this film on e-bay but it does not seem to be widely available - or available at all on DVD.

Liked
    0 times
    name='ldvaux' date='06 June 2010 - 12:21 PM' timestamp='1275823265' post='436244']

Yes this was one of the films made in Australia during their golden period which saw the likes of Breaker Morant and Picnic at Hanging Rock. This seems to be less regarded than these but was one of my favourites,
    Can you add a spoiler to what you have written for the benefit of anyone who has not seen the film and who may be able to get a copy.