Page 117 of 293 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167217 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 5843
    Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    That's actually Jimmy Charters selling flowers in The Nanny. He also sold some flowers to Jon Finch in Frenzy.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Palmer View Post
    That's actually Jimmy Charters selling flowers in The Nanny. He also sold some flowers to Jon Finch in Frenzy.
    From Scott Palmer, (a small) Jimmy Charters as the flower seller in The Nanny:

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    The gritty crime drama Sapphire (1959) was made at Pinewood, so expect some of the usual suspects:

Out on Hampstead Heath on a cold Sunday morning and I'm pretty sure that detective right in the middle is George Hilsdon (of more anon)

A group of uncredited actors with Michael Craig here - Richard Vernon as the police doctor, Victor Brooks as Detective Sergeant Ted Newton and in the foreground, Desmond Llewelyn as an inspector (not constable as it says on the IMDb). Des is dubbed

On the trail of a murderer, Mike and his boss Nigel Patrick visit the International Club and the manager Mr. Young is Philip Ray

A helpful pianist in the form of Lloyd Reckord

A helpful informer in the shape of Dolores Mantez

A not very helpful newsagent in the person of Bartlett Mullins, but his wife Nora Gordon comes to the aid of Harry Baird

Being helpful here is Harry's landlady, Lucy Griffiths, looking stunning as ever

Being conciliatory here are Earl Cameron and Nigel Patrick and in the background, I believe it's George Hilsdon sneaking in again and bookending the film rather nicely.
    Just watched this film, end credits were very poor in the fifties, there must be about 20 talking roles in this which are unidentified. Gerald spotted Nora Gordon, Richard Vernon, Lucy Griffiths, Dolorez Mantez and others. I can now add the recently identified Jeff/Geoff Silk as Superindentent Hazard's (Nigel Patrick) driver, he is seen on and off throughout the film and deliver's one line "There is a young lady (Dolorez Mantez) in the car to see you sir". Additionally i spotted Michael Dempsey getting off a London bus at the same as Mrs Farr (Yvonne Mitchell). At the International Club run by Mr Young (Philip Ray) Otto Friese can be seen at the rear, and finally as several policemen catch suspect Johnnie Fiddle (Harry Baird), i managed to spot Bill Brandon as one of them.

Liked
    10 times
    Thanks Philly--will be sure to keep an eye out for them when I watch Sapphire finally.

Two Way Stretch was a subject in this thread almost exactly two years ago. Some more recent sightings:

Working on a chair in the prison's workshop is Harold Coyne.

While learning the finer points of safe cracking from David Lodge is I believe the recently identified John More.

Among the prisoners directly above Bernard Cribbins are Peter Rendall (I think) and George Holdcroft (I'm sure)

Among the folks waiting to visit loved ones in prison between Irene Handl and Liz Fraser are Movie Dude's Unknown Female 16 and Jack May the elder.

Liked
    10 times

Breaking rocks in the hot sun under the watchful eyes of Lionel Jeffries is Manny Michael. Pretty sure two of the other convicts in the quarry are Ken Hutchins and Harry Phipps, but not clear enough to be sure.

Among the convicts imitating a scene from The Wooden Horse, Albert R.N. and a Monty Python episode are Movie Dude's Unknown Male 101 over Seller's right shoulder and who I think is a very young Eric Kent over his left, with both Movie Dude's Unknown Males 30 and 46 next to him.

The corporal ("STAND BY!!!") in the convoy moving the Sultan's diamonds is Eddie Boyce.
    Last edited by DaveWright72; 07-09-13 at 01:58 AM.

Liked
    10 times

Finally, the priest being manhandled by an unhinged Jeffries appears to be the Most Reverend Jack Armstrong.

Liked
    2 times
    Further Sapphire observations IMDb has 14 uncredited actors, two without attribution, Anthony Singleton who plays a student in Francoli's cafe, Lloyd Reckford who Gerald Lovell had already added on here as a pianist. To the BFI Database who wrongly describe Sgt Newton as Walter Brooks not 'Victor', they also add a unattributed Thomas Baptiste who plays the male half of the couple who refuse help to Johnny Fiddle (Hary Baird). David Quinlan's British Sound Films further adds Vanda Hudson who plays 'Lilyskin' girl in the Tulip club, who is questioned by Superindentent Hazard (Nigel Patrick) and Inspector Learoyd (Michael Craig), she is seen later chatting to Johnny Fiddle.
    A few key unidentified speaking Roles:
    In the crime scene shots near the start, a cop in Motorbike gear is seen from the back, i guess there is a good chance of this being Jeff or Jack Silk, the uniformed sergeant in this scene seems really familiar.
    In Forlani's cafe the waitress is called Anna but no credit, outside David Harris (Paul Massie) chats to a friend.
    I previously noted Jeff Silk as a police driver, he is always accompanied by another policeman in the passenger seat, unfortunately we never get a good look at him, could it be Jack Silk ?
    Several 'Sergeants' pop in and out of Insp. Hazard's office most have dialogue, we know only Victor Brooks and George Curtis.
    Sapphire's Landlady has two scenes, one with the police leads and the other with an altercation with tenant Patsy (Jocelyn Britton).
    At the grocers, manageress Mrs Farr (Yvonne Mitchell) has two scenes with her uncredited assistant. Mrs Farr's young identical twin daughters look familiar.
    The two lead coppers also pay a visit to Sapphire's previous landlady. They also interview one of her former colleagues, 'Nurse Mary Dawson'
    Barrister Paul Slade (Gordon Heath) gets in his car after leaving the police station, the car is driven by his attractive girlfriend.
    In the international club, one of the customers addresses another as 'Wishee Washee'.
    'Mr Tulip' has a commanding scene chatting to our lead cops but remains unidentified as do customers 'Johnny Fingers, Johnny Rags and Johnny Tiger.
    Johnnie Fiddle on the run, goes into Joe's Cafe for help, he receives non, just an angry rebuttal from an bigoted man (includes the 'N' word), a close up shot of three onlooking extras follows, i did'nt recognise any.
    If i could screencap i would have posted pics of Ideal Home, Harper's, Autocar and Woman's Realm at the Magazines in Film thread from 'Bartlett Mullins' newsagents.
    David Harris had an alibi on the night of the murder, an elderly man who gave him a lift from Cambridge, he is interviewed late in the film.
    His solicitor named as Ralph Piggot has an everpresent 'fag' in his mouth.
    Cornershop has already 'capped the Harris's neighbour.
    At Horace 'Big Cigars' flat we have Alexander, Tin Ricky, Big Sam and others including Johnny Fingers from the Tulip club.

Most of these above have prominent roles and would have certainly been credited in todays film and TV.
    Last edited by philly; 07-09-13 at 02:25 PM.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I intended to post these at 'Who are these people?' (last December!) but there might be one or two recogniseable faces here:

Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    Johnnie Fiddle [Harry Baird] on the run, goes into Joe's Cafe for help, he receives non, just an angry rebuttal from an bigoted man ...

... a close up shot of three onlooking extras follows, i did'nt recognise any.
    Is the man in the middle George Curtis?:

If i could screencap i would have posted pics of Ideal Home, Harper's, Autocar and Woman's Realm at the Magazines in Film thread from 'Bartlett Mullins' newsagents.
    I did that scene last December as well (dozens of unsorted captures from just the one session) and will post the best one at that thread later.

Liked
    182 times
    In the Harry Baird picture, I think that might be Jack Rodney with him.

In the second picture, it's not George Curtis, who in fact turns up very shortly thereafter as a constable in the police station when Johnny Fiddle is being questioned.

Liked
    182 times
    Further Sapphire observations IMDb has 14 uncredited actors, two without attribution, Anthony Singleton who plays a student in Francoli's cafe, Lloyd Reckford who Gerald Lovell had already added on here as a pianist. To the BFI Database who wrongly describe Sgt Newton as Walter Brooks not 'Victor', they also add a unattributed Thomas Baptiste who plays the male half of the couple who refuse help to Johnny Fiddle (Hary Baird). David Quinlan's British Sound Films further adds Vanda Hudson who plays 'Lilyskin' girl in the Tulip club, who is questioned by Superindentent Hazard (Nigel Patrick) and Inspector Learoyd (Michael Craig), she is seen later chatting to Johnny Fiddle.
    In the crime scene shots near the start, a cop in Motorbike gear is seen from the back, i guess there is a good chance of this being Jeff or Jack Silk, the uniformed sergeant in this scene seems really familiar.
    In Forlani's cafe the waitress is called Anna but no credit, outside David Harris (Paul Massie) chats to a friend.
    I previously noted Jeff Silk as a police driver, he is always accompanied by another policeman in the passenger seat, unfortunately we never get a good look at him, could it be Jack Silk ?
    Several 'Sergeants' pop in and out of Insp. Hazard's office most have dialogue, we know only Victor Brooks and George Curtis.
    Sapphire's Landlady has two scenes, one with the police leads and the other with an altercation with tenant Patsy (Jocelyn Britton).
    At the grocers, manageress Mrs Farr (Yvonne Mitchell) has two scenes with her uncredited assistant. Mrs Farr's young identical twin daughters look familiar.
    The two lead coppers also pay a visit to Sapphire's previous landlady. They also interview one of her former colleagues, 'Nurse Mary Dawson'
    Barrister Paul Slade (Gordon Heath) gets in his car after leaving the police station, the car is driven by his attractive girlfriend.
    In the international club, one of the customers addresses another as 'Wishee Washee'.
    'Mr Tulip' has a commanding scene chatting to our lead cops but remains unidentified as do customers 'Johnny Fingers, Johnny Rags and Johnny Tiger.
    Johnnie Fiddle on the run, goes into Joe's Cafe for help, he receives non, just an angry rebuttal from an bigoted man (includes the 'N' word), a close up shot of three onlooking extras follows, i did'nt recognise any.
    David Harris had an alibi on the night of the murder, an elderly man who gave him a lift from Cambridge, he is interviewed late in the film.
    At Horace 'Big Cigars' flat we have Alexander, Tin Ricky, Big Sam and others including Johnny Fingers from the Tulip club.

Most of these above have prominent roles and would have certainly been credited in todays film and TV.
    One of the most extreme examples I can think of, philly, is Jigsaw (1961), which has eight onscreen-billed cast and I have noted 37 uncredited, some substantial, talking roles.

Liked
    182 times
    It's back to village life for MAN IN A SUITCASE as he walks around in "Dead Man's Shoes", looking for information. One the villagers he encounters:

Provides us with a good shot of Jack Sharp. He's as pipeman too, it seems.

We'll come back to the village again shortly, but there's a brief allez to Calais:

Outside the caf�, John Carson has just departed, leaving us with Paddy Smith and John Tatum to entertain the lady. I notice John is in his favourite brown attire.

Meanwhile, back at the village, there's a rammie:

Mike Stevens perhaps in the blue shirt on the left and Bill Brandon in the centre. Fred Peck at the back in the cap

Frank Maher (first seen near the start of the episode in the Jack Sharp sequence) in the cap with David Saire on the left and also Peter Avella half-hidden by David. Clearly McGill has found another of those villages where the extras spend their time off. (It's Fulmer).

Senior Member Country: Great Britain john walter skinner's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    #2324 robin Byrnes with sellers and Jeffries third from right...there's a major blooper in Sapphire in a street scene near the Miles's home, behind Michael Craig there's a mass of unit power cables on the pavement,no matter-one of my fave Britmovies...

Liked
    10 times
    Thanks John--do you mean this fellow (just want to be sure)?

Liked
    182 times
    Robin Burns, or Byrnes, shortly to appear as a convict in another prison film . . .

Liked
    182 times
    Meanwhile, as MAN IN A SUITCASE has to "Find the Lady", we have to Find the Extras:

Richard Bradford strides into Rome's Hotel Doria towards the bar (the library shots of the hotel's exterior look very like a hotel along the road from where I once stayed in Rome): Jeanne Roland nonchalantly finishes her drink, Alf Mangan comes down the stairs, Martin Lyder is on the blower and I think John Clifford is cleaning the glasses

Later, receptionist Carlos Douglas (not the singer) has to deal with a ratty guest, and plying all his charm as usual, it's John Tatum again, but in a linen suit this time and with a different companion from the previous episode. They're last seen heading up the stairs together, so presumably John's found his lady . . .

Liked
    2 times

On a boring Sunday afternoon i had nothing to do so i found myself looking at screencaps of late 50's early 60's films at the Moviedude and Aveleyman sites and i think the familiar uniformed sergeant in the opening 'crime scene' scenes is Edward Evans also Sapphire's landlady is i think, Edith Sharpe.

Liked
    182 times
    Here's a good example of philly's lack of credits complaint: The Criminal (1960), where the onscreen billing must've either been set up by some wily agents or by pot luck, as relatively minor roles get credit, but major ones do not - it's criminal! For example, no credit for Kenneth Cope who has significant scenes at the beginning and the end of the film, nor for Tom Gerard, one of Stanley Baker's gang, but Edward Judd's small role as a young prison warder gets billed ninth out of 20. Anyway:

All sides and backs of head, but they're well enough known so we can get three in one shot: Anthony Lang in the shower (he can be seen later, presumably spick and span, in the prison exercise yard), plus trusties George Hilsdon and Cyril Kent. George gets several lines later on

Into the main part of the prison, and the officer sitting at the desk is Jack Sharp

As Scout (Jack Rodney) makes his rounds, he encounters Eden Fox coming down the stairway. Back of the head again for another, but we'll see him better later on . . .

As Scout heads on up, the prisoner on the right with his tunic open is Bill Cummings

I didn't expect to see Arthur Goodman in the slammer. Forgery, or creative accountancy perhaps?

Patrick Wymark holds court, much to Stanley Baker's annoyance and we can see our back-of-head prisoner now is Alf Mangan, who manages to keep a fag in his mouth in every scene in which he appears

Making a noise: the boys in this cell are Peter Avella and Terry Plummer

Making a face: prison officer Manny Michael has his pout in place as chief officer Patrick Magee predicts Stanley will be back

A wild party at Stan's and Peter Brace gets an eyeful as Margit Saad enjoys herself after being pushed by Tom Gerard (left)

Another wild party back at the clink, and Harry Phipps (lower right) has a jig to celebrate. Partially obscured, but top left is Jim Brady; we couldn't have a prison film without him!

Liked
    182 times
    On the outside:

Dorothy Bromiley is surprised when girlfriend Jill Bennett b*****s off. Charlie Price in the background seems unconcerned

Stan takes his new girlfriend to the jewellers, watched by the jealous Jill. Washing his windscreen seems to be Bill Baskiville

When the game's afoot, or ahoof down the racetrack, who should be regaling leading Stan and his gang (Nigel Green and Larry Taylor) out of the gate, but duchess Aileen Lewis

In the inside:

Brian Phelan and Stan encounter some cons who are not as tough as they think. The one on the left is Steve Donahue

When Pat welcomes Stan and Bri back to their preferred wing, Eddie Powell is the prison officer between our lovely lags. The credited Edward Judd is far left

There's Murray Melvin chatting up Stan and Bri, who aren't interested, though Kenneth J. Warren might be, and it's surely Kenny Lynch at the back

Stan's not happy, so watch where he's chucking those darts (in a prison???). Romo Gorrara, leaning against the doorway isn't bothered

Time for prayers, and while Pat seems devout, I'm not so sure about Ned Lynch behind him

Snipe (John Molloy - another substantial role uncredited) is led into the workshop by prison officer Jeff Silk

And later Stan is led through the yard not by Richard Shaw, IMDb, but by the Billy Dean lookalike. Plus we've got the Peter Perkins lookalike there too. As promised, towering above the other prisoners in the middle here is Robin Burns

Not the final shot of the film, but a good one to finish on as Mr. Baker looks upset about being nabbed by John Cam (?) on the left and Joe Beckett on the right.

Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post

Patrick Wymark holds court, much to Stanley Baker's annoyance and we can see our back-of-head prisoner now is Alf Mangan, who manages to keep a fag in his mouth in every scene in which he appears
    Great stuff, Gerald. The heavy faced fellow between Mangan and Baker appears to be the same guy I thought was a youngish Eric Kent in Two Way Stretch. And thanks for pointing out Robin Burns--someone I need to keep in mind!

Speaking of odd uncredited roles, Reginald Beckwith is prominently credited in Thunderball, but has one line and does nothing else but scurry to hold the door for Roland Culver's Home Secretary.

Liked
    0 times
    Dave-the reason Reginald Beckwith's part is so small in Thunderball is that he died while they were filming it-he was supposed to have more scenes but unfortunately didn't get a chance to film them.