Page 232 of 293 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,640 of 5843
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Hopefully it's not too much of a challenge to make out who's filling in the background in The Challenge (1959):

Joe Wadham must've been ill as another Joe, Joe Powell, is driving the police car tonight for Edward Judd

Newly out of jail, Anthony Quayle takes his out of sight son Joey (Peter Pike) to the fairground and it looks like Andrew Andreas on the right is showing off his shooting prowess to his girlfriend. Joey is dubbed and sounds very like the Woodentops, so the voice may belong to Josefina Ray

At Jayne Mansfield's Harlequin Club, it comes as no surprise that one of the waiters (back left) is Rex Garner and the lady in the centre serving up something different is Liane Marelli

Jayne's looking all intellectual here, though she can barely get her script cover open, but it's also not surprising that the other waiter is Louis Matto, who gets a few lines to deliver

Meanwhile, back in the body of the kirk, admiring glances come from John Smart and Martin Lyder, but Victor Harrington is too busy chatting up his youthful companion

And sporting similar hairstyles are Edward Judd and Guy Standeven

Tony's managed to get a job, engaged as a lorry driver by the ever-indifferent Victor Brooks, and here in the works canteen, Tony's joined by Robert Brown with a hatless Harry Phipps in the background to picture right of the canteen lady. Johnny Rossi, in a hat (maybe Harry's?), is also in this scene, but it hasn't been possible to get a decent screencap of him

Tony barges into The Harlequin Club where Jeff Silk is among the dancers and we can now see the cigarette girl Victor was chatting up earlier is Pauline Chamberlain. Victor himself, picture centre, has switched his attention elsewhere which may account for Pauline's slightly blank look

An accident waiting to happen happens and the police constable awaiting to make his appearance, John Adams, appears.

Liked
    182 times
    In the previous picture, Tony's showing some of the scars from a duffing up and that was provided in part courtesy of heavies Peter Brace and Fred Haggerty

On the trail of buried loot, Tony comes across various familiar faces in a pub setting, including, just to our right of him, Ernie Rice . . .

. . . as well as the always nice to see Jim Brady and Percy Herbert

When the boys manage to drag themselves out of the pub, they're joined by the likes of Alf Mangan and Chris Adcock . . .

. . . and Manny Michael (who's pout we haven't seen for a while) and Steve Donahue (who's getting it in the neck from Percy)

Yet again back in the club, we get a chance to see Jayne bursting out of one of the outrageous costumes Beatrice Dawson provides for her in the film, as well as sighting Peter Evans background left

Time for the cops to close in for the kill and closing in here is detective John Wilder in usual hat and mac combo

. . . which are also modelled by Edward Judd and Vic Chapman, though whether these were specially designed for them by Miss Dawson remains to be seen. Vic's referred to as "Gilling" at one point, which is not that inventive given that the film's original story, screenplay and direction were provided by John Gilling.

Liked
    182 times
    He's still on the Britmovie beat as it looks like P.C. John Adams even managed to plod his way onto the poster for Cosh Boy (1953):

The American alternative title was The Slasher, which in the British vernacular of its time would have meant John would be arresting James Kenney and Ian Whittaker for quite a different kind of offence.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    He's still on the Britmovie beat as it looks like P.C. John Adams even managed to plod his way onto the poster for Cosh Boy (1953):

The American alternative title was The Slasher, which in the British vernacular of its time would have meant John would be arresting James Kenney and Ian Whittaker for quite a different kind of offence.
    A film I always associate with Joan Collins. She looked particularly pretty in her nice sweater...

Liked
    11 times
    Pauline's Challenge credit added to IMDB, Gerald! That girl did a lot of extra work!

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cully View Post
    A film I always associate with Joan Collins. She looked particularly pretty in her nice sweater...
    Yes, cully; John Adams was in fact lucky to find space to get a look in . . .

Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    Yes, cully; John Adams was in fact lucky to find space to get a look in . . .
    Just realized what you did there, Gerald!

Liked
    182 times
    Running through the Scarlet Thread (1951):

Well, at least walking through the West End of London are targets for Laurence Harvey's pickpocketing activities, including John Wilder

In the local amusement arcade (Sportsdrome), Larry keeps an eye on Dora Bryan's equipment as Arthur Mullard keeps an eye on the mechanical equipment

Johnny Rossi arrives to have a go on the slot machines and Sydney Tafler arrives to have a go at Larry. Er, nice tie, Larry

Director Lewis Gilbert may not think much of this film, but, talented man as he is, created this nicely composed and moody shot in a mortuary with the shadows being Cyril Chamberlain and Ben Williams and the motorcycle policeman in the background Harold Sanderson

Stoically on duty as Cyril directs his colleagues is not Bob Todd but Ned Lynch.

Liked
    182 times
    Ned Lynch was busy in 1951:

Here he's Mr. Cool in the airport reception while Francis Lister is Mr. Anxious when Rona Anderson arrives Home to Danger

Looking down and dragging the swamp under the supervision of P.C. Higgins (Christopher Higgins) to find what or who has dropped in is an "H" dropping Glyn Houston on the right

Under the supervision of another bobby (Pat Hagan) are Rona Anderson and Guy Rolfe, to whom things are always looking down.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    Pauline's Challenge credit added to IMDB, Gerald! That girl did a lot of extra work!
    Jim (O') Brady, Victor Harrington and Guy Standeven have also been accepted by Imdb and added to the cast list of The Challenge.
    I'm not sure Cully, but did Pauline give up extra work in the seventies? Nothing listed after 1974. Or are there more Pauline gems yet to come..

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigon Man View Post
    Jim (O') Brady, Victor Harrington and Guy Standeven have also been accepted by Imdb and added to the cast list of The Challenge.
    I'm not sure Cully, but did Pauline give up extra work in the seventies? Nothing listed after 1974. Or are there more Pauline gems yet to come..
    As Scott Palmer found out she's in the 80's TV series Bread. She is uncredited but has the odd line. She plays a DSS clerk and I posted a ( unremarked upon) picture of her in said series in an episode in which she speaks. You can find it on her thread. X

Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonefan View Post
    As Scott Palmer found out she's in the 80's TV series Bread. She is uncredited but has the odd line. She plays a DSS clerk and I posted a ( unremarked upon) picture of her in said series in an episode in which she speaks. You can find it on her thread. X
    Stonefan, I'm afraid we need to know the episode (s) she was in to post a credit at IMDB.

Liked
    11 times
    Tigon Man, you need to go to her thread and particularly follow the posts from the beginning of 2015. Scott Palmer got in touch with her and it is believed she continued working into the 1990s and, of course,Bread which Stronefan mentions.

Liked
    7 times
    Stonefan, I'm afraid we need to know the episode (s) she was in to post a credit at IMDB.
    Series 2, episode 5 but she's in many other episodes as well but that's the one with a picture.

Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonefan View Post
    Series 2, episode 5 but she's in many other episodes as well but that's the one with a picture.
    Thanks, Stonefan, I have submitted that. IMDB grizzled at the gap between 1974 and 1987 (as they do with 10 year gaps) but I think they trust me enough to confirm it.

You have reminded me to get the DVDs of this great series...which I missed.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    It's great that Pauline's Imdb has been updated. I did suspect that they might grizzle over the 1974-1987 gap, they did when I submitted an early entry for Ernest Blythe. But as you said Cully if you have a good record with them, they usually will accept it.
    We just need now to fill in the gap between 74 and 87. Perhaps Scott can help?

Liked
    182 times
    Pauline told us she did move away from extra work finding secretarial jobs more steady and remunerative, but still would come back to do things like BREAD.

Liked
    182 times
    "The Imprudent Professor" has a title, a plot and lighter performances that are more like THE SAINT rather than RETURN OF THE SAINT, though instead of the Elstree backlot, we get authentic locations in Nice (and also Cannes, I think, as the beach at Nice has no sand). Some of our old stagers get a look in back in the studio scenes:

At a scientific conference, the top table includes Bill Simpson third along, John Kidd next to him and possibly Norman Fisher two along from him. One other and the backs of heads we'll come back to . . .

There's some of the usual dodging round of seats between shots, so back of head 1 upstairs becomes another back of head in the stalls, but it's clearer it's Alan Gibbs and, of course, Susan Penhaligon

Momentarily heading for the local Nice cop shop, we get Anthony Steel, Godfrey James and on the right Rocky Taylor joining Ian Ogilvy for a little chat

Back at the hall, as Bill concludes his lecture, we can get better evidence that the other one at the top table is Professor John Tatum, frowning at the content of the talk no doubt

And some more backs of heads reveal themselves to be John Rogers and I think Bess Rogers with Ian and admiring Susan accompanied by John (Juan) Moreno

And a big hand at the end for some of our favourites, including an occupied Reg Thomason, Alicia St. Leger and Jack Armstrong.

Liked
    7 times
    It's great that Pauline's Imdb has been updated. I did suspect that they might grizzle over the 1974-1987 gap, they did when I submitted an early entry for Ernest Blythe. But as you said Cully if you have a good record with them, they usually will accept it.
    We just need now to fill in the gap between 74 and 87. Perhaps Scott can help?
    Scott Palmer is, to use dated street talking if I may, 'da bomb' when it comes to these things. His knowledge is unsurpassed. He's said in an older post that she was in Shining Through also. This is as late as 1991. He will know of any pre Bread credits. Nice work everyone.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for your kind remarks Stonefan. I have stated before on this forum how over many years I have gone about the gathering of information on these people. Mot much genius involved, just a lost of common sense, persistence, and hard work. From my location, making thousands of overseas phone calls has been quite expensive. All you UK based people can make these calls a lot cheaper than I do, I wonder why none of you has seemed to do so. In many cases-including that of Pauline Chamberlain-the numbers are in the phone book. Pauline chamberlain is certainly in the London directory (that's how I called her!) and from her comments and kindness to me I'm sure she would be more than happy to speak to anybody about her career. She was also pleased about Britmovie, although she doesn't own a computer.