Page 277 of 293 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,540 of 5843
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Vera-Ellen decides to let the train take the strain to from Paris to Edinburgh:

And straining their jaws with food are these passengers, including John Payne (left). The large gentleman on the left looks like Robert Adair, but as he was dead by the time this film was made, that seems unlikely . . .

. . . though talking of large gentlemen, V-E has several encounters with Denis Shaw

Eating being top of the agenda, in the dining car it's Emil Stemmler serving the tables

Terry Sartain bottom right at a table; the first of numerous appearances for him in this, including looking braw in a kilt

Eugene Deckers is the bribe-friendly attendant and Andr� Maranne a concerned underling

We eventually reach Edinburgh where Vera tries the (real) Caledonian Hotel. This is the (unreal) interior which is plusher but much smaller than the genuine article. The staircase is nowhere as impressive as the actual double one which Roy Rogers and Trigger proudly trotted down in a publicity stunt. I'm not sure what the carpet looked like afterwards. Anyway, in this version of the lobby guests include George Holdcroft, Jack Armstrong coming down the stairs with one of the several ladies he accompanies in this film, Ernest Blythe and on porter duty, Barry Johns. Ewan Roberts (also the film's Dialogue Supervisor, presumably sharpening up the och-ayes) is on the desk

Austin Cooper drops in moments later. At least his various appearances are fairly consistent as he's seen coming in and out the lobby throughout

Tony takes Vera for lunch, but Graham Tonbridge is already there in the first of his numerous parts

A decent hotel should have decent waiting staff and indeed here we get Louis Matto and Paddy Smith as well as Robert Rietty. Hyma Beckley, seen moments earlier in a light grey suit, suddenly enters this scene in a dark suit, then is back in grey sitting at a table having lunch

More decent staff one hopes with Russell Waters as the receptionist and Trevor Reid as the manager. And Charlie Price is looking pretty decent too.

Liked
    182 times

Vera finally dances her way to her plush room, her bags on this occasion being lifted by Ian MacNaughton

Back downstairs, Tony has a close encounter with his next lady of the moment, scheming Zena Marshall. And in the scheme of things for Jack Armstrong, we can at least see her that his lady of the moment is Alicia St. Leger, Paddy Smith being still on duty

The view from V-E's window that evening is certainly exciting; forget Edinburgh Castle, you can see Victor Harrington striding by

After a visit to the George Hotel, another real Edinburgh one, but represented by a soundstage set only which has the Patrick Durkin lookalike in the band, but on trumpet this time, we're back in the Caley lobby where Richard Gregory waits and Colin McKenzie is portering for Mr. Armstrong, but I don't think that's Alicia now!

Vera's just as fickle as now it's Robert Flemyng in tow and as she needs some new togs, it's off to a dress show where Johnny Wyne is an attendant and Paul Beradi and Muriel Greenslade are among the gawpers

Jack Hetherington is there too and of course Hyma Beckley and I think the bellboy could be George Howell. Johnny Wyne soon changes jobs and becomes a waiter at the George

The Caley has its good share of waiters too, mind you. Fred Stroud is one and here Rex Garner puts in his appearance. And that's Hyma Beckley at the top of the stairs in a dg

Being a musical, Tony has to warble a few songs and here Zena and barman Jeff Silk are all agog

No songs at the ballet however (I must sit nearer the front next time), though Lola Morice takes centre-pic, plus lots of other familiar faces including Fred Stroud, Norman Fisher, Pat Halpin and possibly Wallace Bosco, all of whom have other roles

So does Jim Morris, here joining Katherine Kath and Guy Middleton. The frosty-faced lady next to Katherine is very familiar and turns up in many things over several decades (as well as three pictures up).

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    Unusual for background actors but George Hilsdon was taken up to near Clitheroe Lancashire to play a policeman in Whistle Down the Wind (1961) this role has been identified previously, although his first scene is in the police canteen set at Pinewood, sat at an adjacent table is P.C. Arthur Howell. George was prepared to travel it seems, he was a policeman on location in Ipswich in The Angry Silence, the connection there is Bryan Forbes, maybe he was friendly with George. The police on location seem to be "Members of Lancashire Constabulary" although one other copper seems to be a familiar extra (could be wrong maybe a lookalike).

Pit of Darkness (1961) has already been covered, adding

Man in Club - Neil Wilson lookalike (UM80)
    Policeman - Jack Silk, Jeff Silk, UM72
    I'm sure someone on here has said they were friends. George is also in Forbe's The Raging Moon and is actually credited in the opening credits, surely a rare example for our frequent extras.

Liked
    182 times

Dodging past the 10 minute ballet the audience have to endure, we get to the George at last where Jack Heatherington is waiting and headwaiter Andr� (Jean Serrat) welcomes bedecked Vera and be-kilted Lord Robert

Norman Fisher swigs his coffee at the table and Paul Phillips swings his kilt on the dance floor. Graham Tonbridge is back

As well as Bob E. Raymond doing his waiter bit, we can just about see that Durkin double in the band doing his trumpet bit. Paul Beradi is back

Quick change back at the Caledonian Hotel where the porter has also changed into Billy John

We go off to Aberfeldy it seems where Gordon Jackson has got hitched to this young lady called Jessie, who is in fact very possibly Fiona Clyne

There's a hell of a hooch at the wedding and enjoying themselves immensely are Wallace Bosco and Gertrude Kaye and could that be John Stuart? (The ears don't seem large enough!). I thought the Chamberlain twins were among the hoochers, but on closer examination, I sadly conclude they're not

Robert takes Vera to view his etchings, but perversely he puts on tours for that purpose with Jack Stewart as the guide and Arthur Howell, Jack Mandeville, Pat Hagan and Johnny Rossi among the viewers

Allez to the Caley one final time where 1947 champagne is ordered from wine waiter Walter Horsbrugh

Our other couple, Tone and Zena, are not so exalted, but at least Jack Carter gets a look-in before the film ends.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Great caps for Let's be Happy, Gerald.
    In the Emil Stemmler dining car cap, the first lady on the left in grey striped cardy is Esme Smythe and I think that is Terence Maidment next to one of Movie Dude's regal looking Unknown Females (UM12). In the Lola Morice ballet cap, the gent in front of her is Eric Henderson.
    The frosty faced lady is Pat Symons.

Liked
    182 times
    Very grateful to you for that info, philly, Pat Symons in particular who got, er, less pretty as she grew older and I've seen in DIXON OF DOCK GREEN, ARE YOU BEING SERVED? etc., and if I knew her name, I had completely forgotten it!

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    One more vote for Terence Maidment, too. The fellow in left background in the Walter Horsbrugh cap is my Unknown Male 22. He pops up a lot in 1950s films, sort of a Juba Kennerley, Jr.

Liked
    0 times
    Some sightings in Morons From Outer Space (1985) (of extras, not morons):

After the aliens land and before we all know they are morons, the cops come to collect Dinsdale Landen, one of whom is Mike Reynell. The other is familiar, but can't place him.

Panic at the UKBC when they realize they've all been at the pub when the biggest news story of the 20th century lands. Manning the cameras is Harry Van Engel (and maybe Laurie Goode at far left)?

Panic also among the posh crowd at a ministerial dinner, with a credited Jo Ross in red bracketed by Barrie Holland and Ron Gregory.

At the crash site and a posse of officials and underlings converge. I think the RAF officer hanging off to the right is Aidan Harrington.

The Army officer is Alan Gibbs, while the credited fire commissioner is plain old Mark Jones, not Mark Lewis Jones, as IMDb currently has (if someone in the good graces of IMDb like Cully or Tigon Man could submit this correction, I'd appreciate it!) Dinsdale looks vaguely disappointed the aliens have no turned out to be a giant hedgehog.

Brash American stereotype Jim Sikking takes over the operation, much to the apparent non-chagrin of scientist Alan Harris, who gets to add another sci-fi film to his resume.

Liked
    0 times

Meanwhile, Mel Smith, the 'smart' alien, ends up in an insane asylum in Arizona, where the inmates include Mickey Varey and Tony O'Leary (the latter of which apparently think he is Hitler). I have a strong suspicion the Jesus figure next to Mel could be an elderly George Holdcroft.

The dumb aliens get hidden in Griff Rhys-Jones' flat, where an angry mob soon gathers. Loudest of them is Eric Kent, who gets a couple suitably intolerant lines to shout.

A large angry crowd, but only one I can ID is photographer Mike Randall at lower left.

Barrie Holland pops up again, in a PC role, while the fellow holding the cabbage is another familiar face, stuntman I think.

The dumb aliens become pop sensations, and among the dignitaries are their 'coming out party" is Sir Guy of Standeven, who doesn't appreciate Dinsdale's horning in on his only scene. Is the lady Alicia St. Leger?

Bill Felton (in glasses) stands dumbfounded at how much Jimmy Nail can imbibe (or perhaps that he can walk upright).

Roy Lansford pops up for a few frames, but wisely stays in the background.

Jim Delaney listens closely as hotel manager Ronnie Stevens itemizes what the aliens have stolen from their hotel suite.

And finally, when Mel tries to turn himself in as the missing fourth aliens, leading the long line of imposters is Ken Coombs, in a very convincing disguise, indeed.

Reg Thomason also pops up as a scientist with a few (possibly dubbed) lines, but I already mentioned that on his own thread.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    Nice work Dave.
    I tried watching Morons after Stonefan mentioned Guy's appearence, thinking I could log the entry on the Imdb. I had to give up early though, before Guy makes his entrance. Truly a worthy contender for worst film of all time.
    At least I can enter Guy's cameo on Imdb now without having to suffer anymore..

Liked
    0 times
    It gets a little better in the last half-hour, but not by much. I guess watching this I took one for the team, so to speak :)

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Additional sighting in 'The Man Who Haunted Himself'

George Ballantine (behind Roger Moore and Basil Henson):

No idea who the lady is. Also spotted: Patti Boyd (see 'Magazines in Films') and Unknown Male 25 (Movie Dude's thread).

Liked
    182 times
    Good sighting of George, cornershop.

Now we'll take a stroll down Bond Street (1948) where to be honest not much plot of gripping interest is going on, but at least around are:

James McKechnie as Yarrow of the Yard briefing (I think) John Adams as Thompson on the beat

The nightclub songstress seems to have lost the attention of the grim gentleman in the right background, being the grim John Tatum

Pat Ryan on the left at least appears marginally more interested

The story perks up a bit in the final humorous episode featuring Robert Flemyng and Hazel Court and at the Majestic Club, the (here) hidden and uncredited Ian Carmichael shows in Victor Harrington and guest

Lovely Roland Young and even lovelier Paula Valenska get served their austerity fishcakes - the waiter on the right being Charles Goldner - as Frederick Kelsey in the distant left background marches out because his favourite rissoles aren't on the menu

An odd assignation in the gents between Roland and Robert so startles J. Neil More, he quickly exits prepared to have the economy fishcakes after all.

IMDb has Miles Malleson (again!) and Ian Wilson down for unspecified uncredited roles, but unfortunately I didn't spot them.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    Who is the attractive night club singer? If we were 25 years on, I would say she was a slightly overweight Jessica Benton.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Screencap72 View Post

Panic at the UKBC when they realize they've all been at the pub when the biggest news story of the 20th century lands. Manning the cameras is Harry Van Engel (and maybe Laurie Goode at far left)?
    Mickey Clarke with the headphones?

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Screencap72 View Post

Could the commander or chief constable or whatever on the right be Joe Powell?

Micky Clarke in headphones, certainly.

Liked
    182 times
    I always think of the Trigan Empire comic strip in the Look and Learn when I stumble across 1966's The Trygon Factor. Dave's already done this - sadly my copy is just a ropey as all the others - and likely at a time when many of our regulars had not been named. So stumbling their way through this:

In the curiously-designed White Hart Hotel, as Colin Gordon and Stewart Granger argue over who is going to answer the telephone, Charlie Price strolls happily by with a companion

RHIP as senior copper Stewart consoles Colin and, minus hat, Harry Phipps the waiter has his turn to stroll

Also in the hotel for some strolling is George Holdcroft and it's Diane Clare and Joseph Cuby at reception

More hotel staff, though this one gets a line for once, in the shape of barman Jack Dearlove as Stew orders a drink for Susan Hampshire

Hopefully there wasn't arsenic in the booze, but now Susan's all in black at a funeral where the pallbearer sneaking in from the left appears to be Jack Carter. It's mummy's boy James Culliford who's obliged to acknowledge the stiff as Richardina Jackson, Yuri Borienko, Brigitte Horney, Robert Morley and Cathleen Nesbitt also stiffly look on

Message for Mr. Granger promptly delivered by Alan Stuart, no car in sight

Though arriving by car are these warehouse bobbies, including Fred Davis and friend

Ernest Fennemore squeezing past Mr. Morley

And although we only see the back of his head, I recognise it as belonging to P.C. Bernard Barnsley

Everyone in this bank seems to want to be excused, including manager Jeremy Hawk and clerk Ian Selby

Probably it's to avoid Eddi Arent here in his tribute attire to the Republic serial robots of the 30s, 40s and 50s with a nice coat of yellow paint applied. Jeff Silk seems impressed anyway.

Liked
    182 times
    Lingering in the Neutral Port of Esperanto in 1940:

Immaculate in his white trousers and shoes, plus fag in mouth, Ian Selby quickly exits the British Consulate when war is declared

Aboard Will Fyffe's first ship, the crew are so happy together: Wally Patch as Fred, John Rae and Charles Rolfe as Bert

Idiot Capt. Ferguson (Fyffe who's a bit bananas) is also joined here by Stuart Latham (left), who spends much of the film stroking a pussy. Dennis Wyndham as "neutral" Terry is the smiler and Jack Raine as Alf is on the blower

More crew flagging in the guise of Leonard Sharp, Noel Dainton as Tom and Frank Henderson

Giving a nod and a wink down to club behind the back of German Consul Sigurd Lohde is Cot D'Ordan as Martino

And on nod and wink duty here with the Consul is Heinrich, played by Gerik Schjelderup

In the cantina of excitable Yvonne Arnaud, one of the patrons is of course George Spence

Mme. Arnaud relies on sober (!) gossip from Hugh Griffith

Capt. Will finds himself in jug, but happily Eric Clavering is a bribible gaoler

After ships sink and Will Fyffe as Mae West sinks into whisky greeted by Police Chief Anthony Holles, police officer John Wilder is there on the left to catch him.
    Last edited by Gerald Lovell; 03-09-16 at 07:34 PM.

Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    Unusual for background actors but George Hilsdon was taken up to near Clitheroe Lancashire to play a policeman in Whistle Down the Wind (1961) this role has been identified previously, although his first scene is in the police canteen set at Pinewood, sat at an adjacent table is P.C. Arthur Howell. George was prepared to travel it seems, he was a policeman on location in Ipswich in The Angry Silence, the connection there is Bryan Forbes, maybe he was friendly with George. The police on location seem to be "Members of Lancashire Constabulary" although one other copper seems to be a familiar extra (could be wrong maybe a lookalike).

Pit of Darkness (1961) has already been covered, adding

Man in Club - Neil Wilson lookalike (UM80)
    Policeman - Jack Silk, Jeff Silk, UM72
    Richard Attenborough was producer on Whistle Down the Wind, somewhere in the mists of time i noted down an uncredited appearance by him in this, the source of this titbit has been long forgotten and i can find no references to it currently, it is known that Dickie liked to make unidentifiable but visible cameos in the films he directed, although he has only been spotted in Battle of Britain and Ghandi to date. There is no mistake about Bryan Forbes cameo though, he is the hand double slapping Hayley Mills in close-up, this fact is revealed by Hayley in the DVD commentary.

Liked
    2 times
    The Pursuers is a Danziger film copyrighted in 1962 but first shown in 1961. After the capture of Adolf Eichmann the pursuit of nazi war criminals hots up, former Auschwitz commandant Karl Luther (Cyril Shaps) has set up a profitable business in the U.K. under an alias. In pursuit of Luther is nazi hunter and former Auschwitz inmate David Nelson (Francis Matthews), when he arrives at the airport Aileen Lewis can be seen. Back at the office Luther cashes in and prepares to do a runner, he consults about the business with colleague Arnold Bell. In a cafe scene UM38 essays his usual waiter job. Luther calls on fellow war criminals for help which is not forthcoming, film director Lunde (Alexis Chesnakov) is making a film when he calls, actors include Len Llewellyn, Fred Machon, Robert Vossler, crew Alan Browning and Max Latimer (1) the James Bond stuntman not the character actor. Karl then turns up at a club and is offered help by club owner Rico (Sheldon Lawrence) via his chat up girl Jenny (Susan Denny), waiters are UM63 and UM72, barman David Lander, punters Charlie Price, Ian Wilson, Jack Mandeville, Arther Howell and Ernest Fennemore. Karl arrives at the airport planning on leaving the country, unbeknown to him his passport has been defaced by Nelson, the desk clerk is Tony Thawnton, Anthony Lang is an official, customers Arnold Schulkes and Richard Gregory. Karl drives off with Nelson in pursuit he dumps his car in a warehouse blocking the entrance to the annoyance of owner Jack Stewart. Luther is set to meet Rico's man Wally (John Gabriel) with his fake passport, he mistakes him for Nelson and he shoots and kills him, the resulting crowd members contain Herbert Nelson, Mabel Etherington, UM10 and UM33, attending policeman are John Wilder and Dan Cressy.