Page 37 of 293 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Clever Lupton. Oops, wrong pseudonymous serial.

Liked
    182 times

"Roman Gold" for THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD and outlaw George Hilsdon (on the left) seems to have taken the title to heart by sporting a wonderful Caesar-like comb-over for this episode, while Victor Woolf, George A. Cooper, Richard Greene and Archie Duncan pretend not to notice

Later on, Jim Brady has no pretensions to Roman affectation and just gets his crossbow out, with Howard, a role played by a different actor every week, is this time incarnated by Peter Welch.

Then next we have "The Ghost That Failed", broadcast a few hours after I entered the world - I don't remember watching it then, mind you - and failing to enter the cast list:

George Hilsdon again, this time cowering from a ghost and sporting a moustache to boot. But his hair isn't rising, far less comb-overing. He's joined by a great trio, Alexander Gauge, Kevin Stoney and John Barrie

When Little John gets all spirtual, Alexander Gauge looks hungry, Victor Woolf looks doubtful and, I think, Ned Lynch looks amused

Then we get everyone spiritedly determined, including John Barrie, Victor Woolf, Richard Greene, Kevin Stoney, Archie, George and Ned again, and then, far right, could it be Ernie Rice minus pipe?

Liked
    182 times
    "At the Sign of the Blue Boar" lots of things happen in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD:

The Merry Men get very merry indeed, including Archie Duncan, Victor Woolf and George Hilsdon. Could that be Alf Mangan raising his goblet too?

Normally Paul Eddington gets a credit whatever his role, but not in this episode where it's his turn again to play the omnipresent Howard. Harold Goodwin and Alan Wheatley have just had a hilarious exchange of banter

And when it's time for another noggin, Gerry Judge on the left joins Richard Greene, Archie Duncan, Martin Wyldeck and Victor Woolf for the booze-up.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    But where's your sister Simone?

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    But where's your sister Simone?
    Not At the Sign of the Blue Boar this time, sadly. It's Anne Reid who's serving up the ale.

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    Not At the Sign of the Blue Boar this time, sadly. It's Anne Reid who's serving up the ale.
    All good practice for her current employment making violet macaroons for the occupants of 165 Eaton Place...

Liked
    182 times
    The Vengeance of She (1968) is pretty short on vengeance, but long on uncredited cast:

The Magi, apparently, led by William Lyon Brown, and just to the right, their ranks include Anthony Lang (who I used to get mixed up with Mr. Brown)

Also with them on the right in this shot is Fred Wood, presumably being a hoodie to avoid having his locks shorn. That might be Maxwell Craig in the back row cenre, but all shots of him are out of focus

When the troops coming march in, the one on the left looks Eric Kent in a fetching skirt

Edward Judd looks stricken when they threaten to part him from his wig, the soldier on the left being Walter Henry, well known for that kind of cruelty . . .

What can I say except, just look at that pair: Derek Godfrey and Harold Sanderson as the sentry

In a flashback, we see more bewigged cruelty, and here it's poor Paddy Ryan about to get

the wrong end of Harold Sanderson's weapon

Aitch is apparently in the cavern scenes too, but I wasn't able to spot him as I may have been distracted.

Liked
    182 times
    "Quickness of the Hand" provides another in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, but it looks as if there's been a bit of a misadventure here:

George Hilsdon as a stretcher bearer for a loser while Brian Oulton and Richard Caldicot, surely two of the unlikliest jousting champions you could think of, check their tally

When Robin and Little John gasp at Brian's legerdemain, their men who are merry in this episode include George Hilsdon again, Gerry Judge and, peeping out just behind Robin, Ernie Rice.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    Richard Caldicot seems to have invented the first laptop computer...

Senior Member Country: Australia dissolute's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    There are no hacked threads. The hack happens if the thread hasn't been posted to for a while.

Don't use the Mobile version, use the Default Style like I said (why does nobody listen to me )
    Steve
    Hey Steve, this thread is hacked even if I use the Default style, only New Style works for me (but other threads are completely unaffected, e.g. the Harry Fielder 32 years thread).
    Might help you track down the source of infection... actually, I think it's to do with image embedding, because in Default view Tigon's reply to Gerald is fine, but Gerald's post flicks me off to the vendetta site.

Liked
    182 times
    At the moment, New Style seems to cater for all functions. What didn't cater for all functions was the "Elixir of Youth" during THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD:

Here Friar Tuck inveigles the gullible Sir Louis, played by Reginald Beckwith, into the notion. Also in on it are Little John and the dark-haired chap sitting next to him who might be the youthful Godfrey James

Anyway, later on we have the youthful Sir Louis - Reginald Beckwith as an 18 year old? - being arrested by George Hilsdon, this time playing one of Sir Boland's men at arms. The wonderfully grouchy Sir B is portrayed by Patrick Troughton in beard and amazing eyebrows who uses his famous non-youthful "gruff" voice.

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigon Man View Post
    Richard Caldicot seems to have invented the first laptop computer...

Perhaps some sort of early naval navigation device

Liked
    182 times
    THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD are rapidly turning into The Adventures of George Hilsdon, as here he is again, this time playing a monk in "The Genius":

Alexander Gauge and Charles Lloyd Pack are the other monkish gentlemen. George turns up later on in another scene, this time back in his role as an outlaw.
    The genius himself is played by Harry H. Corbett, with other parts in a wonderful cast taken by Geoffrey Bayldon and Alex Scott.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    8 times
    Maxwell Craig on the right of Edward Judd.

Liked
    182 times
    I wondered if it might be Max too, jim, but thought it was a bit too baggy-eyed and old-looking for him in 1967/68 . . .

??

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    10 times
    Hello,

Just recently did the screencaps on Aveleyman for the 1958 version of A Tale of Two Cities, and spotted Reg Thomason hanging out at Madame DeFarge's. I think this is the earliest appearance of him noted so far. A lot of other interesting people in the film, including Brian Wilde lounging by the stocks, and whom I swear is a very young Oliver Reed as a porter at the inn run by George Woodbridge (who else!)

Hope of interest to some folks here. Cheers!

Dave W
    thomason.jpg

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    Guy in front of Fred Woods....Maurice Conner.......(I'm back on site)........

Liked
    182 times
    Thanks Aitch, and welcome back.

Dave, nice work on A Tale of Two Cities. I think there was a discussion on Brian Wilde and some of the extras a while back.

I don't think that's Thomas Gallagher as the prison officer though, as Mr. G was a big, burly chap. Not sure about Oliver Reed or Harold Kasket either - it looks more like Derek Godfrey there! The last revolutionary looks a bit like Paul Dawkins.

That's a lovely shot of Reg and particularly his nose! However, I think the earliest sighting of Reg so far is in 1951's High Treason, somewhere back in this thread.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    10 times
    Hi Gerald,

Thanks for the compliment--that was a bit of a tough one to get a good cast list on, but I think I did a bit better than IMDb! You are almost certainly right about Gallagher, but he is listed as "prison officer" and I don't see anyone else who could be him. Taking a look again, I do believe you are absolutely correct about Derek Godfrey, though. I'm always open to new suggestions on this one, especially as I was convinced the gatekeeper was Anton Diffring before realizing it was Hubert Noel.

I found the thread about Wilde you mentioned--glad I was correct about David Lodge's brief accidental appearance--I was amused that the way it is edited, he steals Sam Kydd's tip! And I did think a good profile shot of Reg's nose was a useful thing for spotting purposes

Do you know you dubbed Paul Guers? Sounds familiar, maybe John Witty?

Cheers and thanks again,

Dave

Liked
    182 times
    I'm certain that it is John Witty on dubbing duty, Dave.