Page 49 of 293 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whitstablejim View Post
    In the same picture in the pub, the one Harry and I coudn't remember his second name, just came to me, Harry phips or fips.
    There is a Harry Phipps listed on IMDb as construction manager/prop man on a number of British productions from 1952-1972. Wonder if it's the same fellow?

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    Harry Phipps.is the one.. we called him the choc' mouse....

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    It's Just My Luck that I sat through another Norman Wisdom film, this time from 1957. It's lucky he didn't belt out another awful song in this one and the sentimentality factor is low for once, but unlucky that his antics more irritating than ever. Here are some of the ones lucky to be in it, though they were unlucky to have no credit:

This epic involves horseracing and one of the bookies, "James" something or other, is played by George Roderick (on the left). Curiously, he calls the punter on the right "Jim"

On an excruciating visit to the cinema, Norm is accompanied by Joan Sims and in the lobby, he encounters Tottie Truman Taylor

Once inside the darkened auditorium, at the back on the far left, looking fed up as he's waiting to get a seat, is Victor Harrington. On the front row left, already in a seat, but about to regret it when Norm sits behind him, is Gerry Judge

When Joan summons Norm over to her side of the cinema, we see it's John Tatum she's next to. This is an interesting sequence insofar as it shows the good old days when you could sit through umpteen performances for your 1/9d or whatever

More havoc later when Norm succeeds in blowing up a gas main (with Eddie Leslie and Ian Wilson down the hole). The smoke-covered newspaper boy (!!) is George Spence who looks delighted with his luck.

Liked
    182 times
    To see how our luck is doing, we're back off to the races, and back as a bookie and lucky enough to get several lines is George Hilsdon:

His character's name is possibly Jack Sinclair

Earlier, Norm has to bluff dear old Cyril Chamberlain to get into the racetrack and offering linguistic advice on the right is Andreas Malandrinos. I think the other adviser on the left is Josef Behrmann

Among the crowd at Goodwood is, on the right, Peter Brace. You will note a certain lady behind him . . .

. . . and it's Pauline Chamberlain. Also there, pipe-less, with his hand on the shoulder of the elderly gentleman, is Ernie Rice

Also in this part of the crowd, as well as Pauline, there's Anthony Lang with Ernie (his hand where his pipe usually is) now beside him. Just where is Anthony gazing?? The small hatless chap below Ernie could be Eden Fox

Norm gets carted off to hospital - I may too if I'm lucky enough to watch many more of his films - and the visitor on the right is Hal Osmond.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    Gerald I'm getting seriously worried about your health. You're only up to Norman 1957 and excluding 1992's Double X you've a long way to go until What's Good for the Goose (1969)
    I fear that by The Bulldog Breed, you might have become a gibbering wreck, repeatedly falling over and chanting 'Mr Grimsdale' as the men in white coats carry you away...
    You do suffer manfully for the cause of Britmovie....I couldn't out up with that much Norman and I LIKE him.
    Please be mindful of your blood pressure..
    Your old chum
    Tigon Man

Liked
    10 times
    I heartily agree--as nice as it is to see more shots of George Spence's jolly face, it just isn't worth your health or sanity. Watch some Ealing comedies to cleanse your palate!

Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harryfielder View Post
    Harry Phipps.is the one.. we called him the choc' mouse....
    Thanks Aitch--nice to put a name to the face.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigon Man View Post
    Gerald I'm getting seriously worried about your health. You're only up to Norman 1957 and excluding 1992's Double X you've a long way to go until What's Good for the Goose (1969)
    I fear that by The Bulldog Breed, you might have become a gibbering wreck, repeatedly falling over and chanting 'Mr Grimsdale' as the men in white coats carry you away...
    You do suffer manfully for the cause of Britmovie....I couldn't out up with that much Norman and I LIKE him.
    Please be mindful of your blood pressure..
    Your old chum
    Tigon Man
    Gerald, 2 points.....you managed to give us all that good info without mentioning that Sabrina had a walk on part!

Also, an actor playing a Goodwood official was Cyril Chamberlain. Any relation to the sainted Pauline ??

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    Gerald, Don Henderson and I thought Norman was about to sing so......................lol......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._7910123_n.jpg

Senior Member Country: Australia dissolute's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Not exactly on-topic, but close enough.... I've just built a 'database' of cast and crew for all 187 episodes of "The Avengers" and "The New Avengers".
    Let me know what you think, and let me know if you spot any clangers! : http://www.dissolute.com.au/avweb/castfinder.html

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cully View Post
    Gerald, 2 points.....you managed to give us all that good info without mentioning that Sabrina had a walk on part!

Also, an actor playing a Goodwood official was Cyril Chamberlain. Any relation to the sainted Pauline ??
    Hi cully. I did see Sabrina, yes, but I tend only to screencap performers who are uncredited and not on other lists like the IMDb, and she's on their list.
    Cyril Chamberlain is one of my favourites - he is credited on Just My Luck and you can see at least of him in the second screencap in post #964. I don't think he was related to Pauline and her sister.

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dissolute View Post
    Not exactly on-topic, but close enough.... I've just built a 'database' of cast and crew for all 187 episodes of "The Avengers" and "The New Avengers".
    Let me know what you think, and let me know if you spot any clangers! : http://www.dissolute.com.au/avweb/castfinder.html
    I don't seem able to access the info on the database.

Liked
    182 times
    Thanks for the concern about my sanity, but you know, it may be the medication is just starting to kick in or else I'm coming to appreciate the padding on my cell walls, because I quite liked The Square Peg (1958). No songs, no sentimentality and Norman wasn't such a blithering idiot. Added pluses are some uncredited appearances . . .

It's difficult to see from the screencap, but I have a fair idea that the tall workman on the pavement is Brian Wilde

Certainly, the other workman is Roger Avon

When it's time to join up, Mr. GrimsDALE!!! encounters Sergeant Campbell Singer and introduces him to Fred Ferndale, aka Jim Brady

Hardly time to down a pint, when the parachute N.C.O. at the back summons his men. He looks like Jack Taylor

Impressed by the star's sandwich eating is parachute aide Michael Collins. It's ironic he did a lot of dubbing work in his career, because it sounds like Michael is himself dubbed in this role

Captain Frank Williams is rogering and out, watched by his colonel, Martin Boddey. He is on the IMDb list, but with no role attribution

Cocking an ear for General Schreiber is gate, and later, firing squad soldier Reg Thomason. The officer looking away is John G. Heller, who is listed in the main titles, but is omitted from the end cast list

To finish off, we're back at the borough council offices with Harold Goodwin as a worker and George Spence as Charles Fenton-Hopkins, no less.

No sign of Oliver Reed or Ian Wilson who are on the IMDb list.

Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    I don't seem able to access the info on the database.
    Really? Maybe I should have made the interface better...

There ought to be two dropdown boxes at the left of the screen.

[ actors ] [ choose... ]

the other options for the first box are :
    crew
    unbilled only
    unbilled actors only
    unbilled crew only
    all

The second box has the letters A-Z for the surnames.
    You might have to let the data load first but it's fast for me, there's around 9,300 records at ~ 700KB all up. (This is why I call it a "database" rather than a database, it's all done client side).

Liked
    10 times
    Is this maybe George Spence as a SS officer in Ships With Wings (1941)? My Spencerian spotitng skills are not the best, but it sure looks like him! (Frank Pettingill as the nasty bad guy coming into frame at right).
    spence.jpg

Liked
    182 times
    I'd say that is indeed George Spence, Dave, the earliest sighting of him so far I think.

Liked
    10 times
    Huzzah! Here's a closer shot of George, a few seconds later. He even has dialogue in this one ('Yessir'). He also appears in Pool of London, having a pint behind Bonar Colleano and Earl Cameron.
    spence2a.jpg

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dissolute View Post
    Really? Maybe I should have made the interface better...

There ought to be two dropdown boxes at the left of the screen.

[ actors ] [ choose... ]

the other options for the first box are :
    crew
    unbilled only
    unbilled actors only
    unbilled crew only
    all

The second box has the letters A-Z for the surnames.
    You might have to let the data load first but it's fast for me, there's around 9,300 records at ~ 700KB all up. (This is why I call it a "database" rather than a database, it's all done client side).
    I do have the two dropdown boxes and take an option, but then nothing happens. Is there not a "go" or "show" button?

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWright72 View Post
    Huzzah! Here's a closer shot of George, a few seconds later. He even has dialogue in this one ('Yessir'). He also appears in Pool of London, having a pint behind Bonar Colleano and Earl Cameron.
    spence2a.jpg
    George has a bit of a cleft chin which is handy for recognition purposes, especially if he's wearing a hat and his interesting comb-over isn't visible. His hangdog expression is often another dead giveaway . . .

Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    I do have the two dropdown boxes and take an option, but then nothing happens. Is there not a "go" or "show" button?
    Ahhh, problem solved. If you're using Internet Explorer, close the banner ad at the top of the screen and it will work. Sorry about that. I'm about to add "unknown" to the drop down.