Page 79 of 293 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 5843
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Thanks, Jim.

Back to THE BUCCANEERS, who are carrying a "Dangerous Cargo" in the person of Sarah Lawson, who puts in a fiery performance and clearly thoroughly enjoys her role. Also in the cast:

That wonderful actor, Roger Delgado - it amazes me it's taken 20 episodes in before he's cast as a Spanish captain - plus Denis Lacey as his mate and Ted Carroll as a crewman. Ted turns up later as one of the Sultana crewmen and, for the record, plays a sailor in the previous episode, "Blood Will Tell". The helmsman behind them all appears to be Ned Lynch

On the Sultana, with Dan Tempest away with his dangerous cargo, Peter Hammond has to face up to Ivan Craig with Brian Rawlinson on the left and Paul Hansard and there's George Hilsdon as a crewman. Like Ted, George has double bubble on this one as he plays a crewman on H.M.S. Scarborough earlier on

Through the square window, playing with a bottle are pirates Peter Brace and Jim Brady

And gabbling away in Spanish is another pirate, Martin Lyder. The tavern keeper in the background is John Gatrell.

Liked
    182 times
    At last we come to that pantheon, that monument that was missing for so long, that sacellum, that sacred edifice of Cyril Chamberlain top-billing: Scotland Yard and The Wall of Death.

First of all, IMDb needs to know that Schmidt was not played by Vernon Greeves, who actually played Cyril's cohort Sergeant Fuller, but Rudy Schmidt was essayed by Ferdy Mayne, and Rita Webb gave life to Mrs. bleedin' Toms; OK, oh well, Mrs. Toms. Otherwise:

Sidney Vivian is the circus manager on the left and I think it's Dervis Ward as the police sergeant on the right

There's news, and this is Frank Singuineau delivering it

Even Scotland Yard has mechanics on the case and the one on the right is John Baker

'ello, 'ello, we're off to France now and Andre Maillol plays the gendarme. But surely it's really our camarade vieux de police, Andre Maranne?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain john walter skinner's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes,the cashier guy was in dozens of films,especially 50s and 60s,saw him briefly at the FAA headquarters in mar lose road,Kensington in 1969 - he was having a grizzle about something with boss Sean brannigan. Thanks for identifying jim Brady,have wondered who this guy isnfornyears ,must have been in literally hundreds of bruit movies,must have lived at the studios...have a terrific still of him in lavender hill mob at brief racetrack sequence.he seemed to fizzle out in mid 1960s.by the way is there anyone out there who can identify Michael caine's appearance in Wrong ar of the law?

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by john walter skinner View Post
    Yes,the cashier guy was in dozens of films,especially 50s and 60s,saw him briefly at the FAA headquarters in mar lose road,Kensington in 1969 - he was having a grizzle about something with boss Sean brannigan. Thanks for identifying jim Brady,have wondered who this guy isnfornyears ,must have been in literally hundreds of bruit movies,must have lived at the studios...have a terrific still of him in lavender hill mob at brief racetrack sequence.he seemed to fizzle out in mid 1960s.by the way is there anyone out there who can identify Michael caine's appearance in Wrong ar of the law?
    It looks like Jim Brady was in at least 1,000 films, John, from the mid-40s to the 70s at least.

I have quite a lot of uncredited names down for The Wrong Arm of the Law (including the inevitable Marianne Stone, Martin Lyder and Joe Wadham), but have never yet found Michael Caine in it.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    13 times
    I used to think this was Michael Caine from The Wrong Arm of the Law. Its the only person on camera that looks anything like him. But he's a bit too fat in the face for me to be sure. I wonder what other people think.

Also Jim Brady did a double shift in The Lavender Hill Mob. He can be seen as a passenger on the Tube Train.
    Last edited by MovieDudeToo; 05-02-13 at 11:29 PM.

Liked
    182 times
    That doesn't look like Michael Caine to me either; as you say, it's too full in the face for him.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    but have never yet found Michael Caine in it.
    The IMDb lists him as "Police station PC" so that's where you should look for him. Possibly in the background

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    great to see PAT GORMAN after all these years; last saw him a while back in EASTENDERS;wonder if he's still with us...john w.s.

Liked
    0 times
    if you can't identify Caine, Gerald, i am sure he was not in it, this is the problem i am finding with imdb-several of their listings are unwitnessed...for example Roger Moore's spell as an extra is interesting- in CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA he can be glimpsed in the front ranks of roman soldiers in the final exterior shots of alexandria at pinewood, but Perfect Strangers is a problem;havent seen the film for a while but i have a terrific still photo of him courtesy the BFI years ago which shows him in a rowing boat below Robt Donat,but in the ACTUAL sequence Roger isn't seen; fans have recently confirmed him as a cafeteria serviceman customer in INTERRUPTED JOURNEY,seen behind Dora Bryan and Dick Todd; this is a recent siting and quite a find;this is in imdb,but they have dug up a lot of other stuff Roger did at this time which is nows to me...OLLIE Reed is listed in some sources in UPSTAIRS AND DOWNSTAIRS,anyone out there confirm this???

Liked
    182 times
    great to see PAT GORMAN after all these years; last saw him a while back in EASTENDERS;wonder if he's still with us...john w.s.
    He is, John, I'm pleased to say. Harry Fielder spoke to him recently.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    10 times
    this is the problem i am finding with imdb-several of their listings are unwitnessed...
    This is indeed a problem with IMDb, from back in their early days when anyone could submit information without approval. I've noticed many, many sightings where a name actor is listed, but that actor is nowhere to be found. Someone saw an extra that looked like Roger Moore or Oliver Reed or whoever and said "that's them!" and submitted it as a sighting. And there it rests as "fact." I'm sure this is what happend with the Michael Caine "sighting." If IMDb wanted a reputation for accuracy, they would double-check things like this, but they don't care about anything but their advertising revenue. Which is really irksome when every film listing says "credits verified as complete."

-A grumpy perfectionist

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    The IMDb lists him as "Police station PC" so that's where you should look for him. Possibly in the background

Steve
    I've had another look through The Wrong Arm of the Law, particularly in the police station scenes, and there's no sign of anyone like Michael. However, on the way through, I discovered Jim Brady in the crooks' meeting scene, Pat Judge in the information room scenes and Norman Johns as a police driver, plus:

Also at the crooks' meeting, large Jim Tyson beside Marianne Stone ("The Bird on the Front Row") with Dervis Ward behind him and Ted Carroll in the middle of the back row.

Liked
    182 times
    Another item of "Dangerous Cargo" for THE BUCCANEERS:

Ernie Rice in the left-hand corner of this screencap, as a merchant crewman under both Roy Purcell and Rupert Evans

Then when it's "The Return of Calico Jack":

Here's Jack himself, played by Brian Worth (who gets top billing in this episode as Robert Shaw's on holiday and Brian Rawlinson in effect gets Robert's role), plus crewmates Denis Lacey I think on the left and Roy Purcell on the right

When Jack's crew is up to no good as the cat's away, it's Jim Brady top centre on the quayside

And look at this bunch of scurvy knaves: second, Ned Lynch, third, Ernie Rice and fifth, George Hilsdon. That trio play loyal Sultana crewmen earlier in the episode, albeit George sports a nice droopy moustache. In the fight that follows this screencap, George and Ernie in particular really get stuck into the action.

Liked
    0 times
    i remember the guy in the middle,he was on CROSSPLOT(69);I THINK HE WAS A BIG CHEESE IN THE FAA,he's often in the Saints...john w.s.

Liked
    0 times
    have a great picture somewhere of all of us on THE FIRST CHURCHILLS in Weymouth,summer 1969,including PAT GORMAN,vic taylor(one of the earlier platoon in dads army), jay neill, jay mcgrath(who died recently) and Derek Martin,the latter had a good part in it,Derek writes about his small parts days in his entertaining memoirs;funnily enough i was in a PAUL TEMPLE episode with him as well, with HUGH CROSS,TERENCE ALEXANDER,still have the call sheet; i only worked as an extra for about 2 years,but they were great days; in the late sixties film work dried up completely and there was a slump in the early 70s; i worked professionally under the name of RAOUL JOHNS! MY AGENT WENT BUST THAT DIDNT HELP, I JUST DRIFTED AWAY eventually to do repertory theatre. i still get the equity journals which lists the recently deceased....

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    John Walter Skinner in 'Crossplot' (filmed in 1968)?

Is that you on the right, John? The picture of Marilyn Monroe in the background was used for the cover of LIFE magazine:

Like Tigon Man, I also have your Who's Who on the Screen, which I bought from W.H. Smith in 1984. Still a great reference book

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for pointing this out,and with Caine we.re still none the wiser.strange about this as it,s in all of his official credits,around this time he played in solo for sparrow, of course,and was up for bro head in Zulu and the rest is history,as they say. Of course his role might have been deleted from Wrong Arm...

Liked
    0 times
    A great picture,no it,s not me,I remember the guy,funnily enough he was in strange report with me. I was in this sequence from cross plot,but not glimpsed,I well remember alexis Kenner,Norman eshley(who later briefly we'd Millie Martin),roger Moore and director al Rakoff who was a great guy,now still directing in the theatre. I can be glimpsed in the very opening sequence on Westminster bridge,travelling with a group of partygoers in a mini more,driven by rocky Taylor. Francis Matthews was a baddie and I worked with him several times. I got to know his sister-in-law very well but years later. Thanks for the comments about my book..John w.s.

Liked
    0 times
    Apologies for the atrocious grammar,am typing this on my girlfriend's iPad which seems to have a built-in gremlin word processor. John

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I forgot to say this last time but would like to express my sadness having learnt earlier of Jay McGrath's death. I know him from his appearances in The Sandwich Man and Take a Girl Like You. It's only a few weeks since we lost Eric Kent, another friend of Aitch. My condolences. Please create a thread for Jay so we can pay further tribute.

I can be glimpsed in the very opening sequence on Westminster bridge,travelling with a group of partygoers in a mini more [moke?].
    This was the first screencap I did after I saw your post, John. I assume you're the man wearing the dark jacket:

Reminiscent of the scene in Blow Up, where the high-spirited mime artists are on their way to play a game of tennis - without the ball.