Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I see there are some sellers on eBay who are trying to sell this new DVD for up to £25. I don't see the point when you can buy it on amazon and HMV for a tenner. They must think there are some very gullible fools out there.

Liked
    98 times
    Below are comparisons regarding Sammy Going South between the Channel 4 screening in 16 x 9 (1.85:1) and the present DVD image in 21 x 9 (2.35:1). As can be seen, the Channel 4 transmission showed the whole height of the frame and, of course was cropped at the sides, while the present DVD slightly crops the image at the top and bottom of the frame and, to retain the aspect ratio of 2.35:1, there is slight cropping at the sides of the image to compensate for it. As anyone who has a recording of the Channel 4 transmission will have noticed, when the whole height of the frame is shown, especially as here on Eastman Colour films of the period, a distracting flashing white line can be seen for a fraction of a second between every shot, where the negative was spliced. This is why the image on the present DVD is slightly cropped top and bottom, to eliminate the flashing splice line. This line, while commonplace on Eastman Colour films of the period, was never seen on Technicolor prints...although I've no idea why.

Below are two more examples. The top image is the full right hand side of the frame from a pan and scan transfer, showing the gate and the wall, while in the present DVD, the side of the image has been slightly cropped, so that the wall is not visible.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    MORE FRAMES FROM THE DVD

Terrified, Sammy runs for cover as Port Said is bombed.

The journey down the River Nile. Sammy has his hair examined for lice by a native woman and watches the Muslim pilgrims at prayer.

“If I died, no one would know…aunt Jane wouldn’t know…nobody!?

“Now, listen to me. I told you we have been on the road for seven years. But that is nothing. Many spend thirty or forty years on the road. Some even die on the road. You, too, are on a sort of pilgrimage. A man’s whole life is a journey. Are you listening, boy??

“Yes.? “Oh no, you’re not. You’re scratching again.? “I try not to, but I itch.?

Sammy and Cocky get on wonderfully together in Cocky’s hideout in the bush.
    A great pity that, as with previous site updates, all apostrophes; dots and commars in the text of earlier uploads have been turn into unintelligible symbols.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12