Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I'm not sure where this belongs - in film or television. It was probably my first or second British film, along with Sammy Going South: I saw it when I was eight in 1968. So many years ago...

I have not seen it since that time. It was about a Catholic boy and a Jewish girl in England who become friends. I came across a few clips on youtube accidentally and it brought back memories. It had a great impact on me.

It used to be shown on a US television series of films for children that was broadcast on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I saw it about five times. There are many scenes that stayed with me, including a scene on a river where the girl seems to have been hurt, and some church sequences. It was very simple and gentle.

I looked up the cast in a book and found that Sybil Thorndyke and Finlay Currie were in the supporting cast.

I assume it was released as a film in Britain. Maybe I am wrong?

Does anyone here know this film?

Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone here know this film?
    I have a DVD of this one it but it's one of the many in my collection that I haven't got round to watching yet.

Maybe it deserves to be bumped up to the top of my list?

Liked
    29 times
    I have a DVD of this one it but it's one of the many in my collection that I haven't got round to watching yet.

Maybe it deserves to be bumped up to the top of my list?
    Well, my memories of it are very positive. But it is through the filter more than forty years. I don't know how it would seem today.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    For some reason, although Hand in Hand was submitted to the BBFC for classification in August, 1960 (they rated it "U"), this Associated British - Warner Pathe film wasn't released until April, 1963, when it went out on the ABC circuit as the support to Tony Hancock's comedy The Punch and Judy Man. I wonder what happened there.

According to this article in the August, 1960, issue of ABC Film Review (printed in late July), the original title of Hand in Hand was The Star and The Cross. Left click with mouse on white bar over top of image to enlarge it so that you can read the text.

Liked
    98 times
    From ABC Film Review, April, 1963, a review of Hand in Hand.

Liked
    29 times
    Thanks very much for the information and the excerpts, darrenburnfan. I would certainly never have found them anywhere else.

Very interesting, and it brings back quite a few memories. I'm not sure why I recall that film so clearly, but it has stayed with me.

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks very much for the information and the excerpts, darrenburnfan. I would certainly never have found them anywhere else.

Very interesting, and it brings back quite a few memories. I'm not sure why I recall that film so clearly, but it has stayed with me.
    Glad to have been of some help, Tim. It's still a mystery as to why the film lay on the shelf for three years after its completion before it was finally decided to release it. I wonder whatever happened to Philip Needs and Loretta Parry.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Glad to have been of some help, Tim. It's still a mystery as to why the film lay on the shelf for three years after its completion before it was finally decided to release it. I wonder whatever happened to Philip Needs and Loretta Parry.
    Someone claiming to be Loretta Parry (and no reason to doubt her) has written an IMDB user comment about the film.

Liked
    98 times
    Someone claiming to be Loretta Parry (and no reason to doubt her) has written an IMDB user comment about the film.
    Very interesting, Captain. I see she joined IMDb four years ago to post that comment and hasn't been back there since, so I trust she is well. She was nine years old when she made the film in 1960, so that would make her 59 today. Maybe Philip Needs, if he's still with us, will see this thread and come on here and tell us how he's getting on these days.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Hand in Hand is getting a Region 1 release in October, I presume it's a first. Don't know much about this one but it seems to be fondly remembered.

A Sony release so should be up to scratch.

Liked
    29 times
    Thanks for finding this. There are several people on that thread who apparently saw the film at the same time I did on the same network - and had a similra experience. She sounds like a very gracious lady and genuinely surprised and moved at the response.

Liked
    29 times
    Hand in Hand is getting a Region 1 release in October, I presume it's a first. Don't know much about this one but it seems to be fondly remembered.

A Sony release so should be up to scratch.
    Oh - very good.

I'll admit this is getting me 'choked up' . These memories were very positive and remain clear.

This is another case where I thought I was the only one - along with my sister regarding this film - and then I find there are many others as well who were equally moved and impressed. This happened with Sammy Going South.

Only on this forum....