Liked
    0 times
    Hi everyone. Just new to this site and have been going through it and very impressed.

I am looking for a title for this film that (as far as I can remember) was shown on the BBC in the '70s.

It involved a safari that gets captured by a tribe of native africans. Most are killed off in gruesome ways but one is allowed to race for his life. I think it was a British film but might be American or South African. The guy escapes at the end by outrunning his captors. Any help appreciated

Liked
    80 times
    name='HairBear' date='07 June 2010 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1275935350' post='436861']

Hi everyone. Just new to this site and have been going through it and very impressed.

I am looking for a title for this film that (as far as I can remember) was shown on the BBC in the '70s.

It involved a safari that gets captured by a tribe of native africans. Most are killed off in gruesome ways but one is allowed to race for his life. I think it was a British film but might be American or South African. The guy escapes at the end by outrunning his captors. Any help appreciated

The Naked Prey (1966):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060736/

E.

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Sounds a bit like The Naked Prey with Cornel Wilde.

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Oops sorry didn't realise someone had already answered.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Merton Park' date='07 June 2010 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1275936084' post='436873']

Oops sorry didn't realise someone had already answered.

I think it's safe to assume that Euryale will always have already answered

Liked
    0 times
    name='Euryale' date='07 June 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1275935931' post='436868']

The Naked Prey (1966):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060736/

E.
    That looks like it. Thank you very much. Now to see if I can get a copy

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Should be an easy one, if you know it. It is UK BW 1960's I would guess. It was made, I suspect, to cash in on the success of 'I'm All right Jack' because it is a comedy based around employment. If I know the title I can look up the actor I was trying to describe to a colleague. Film is set in small town/village and they are aspiring to full employment but they have one permanently unemployed by choice resident played by an immediately recognisable character actor who is tall, bearded with an accent and always used to play the old reprobate. Employment problem is solved in the end, closing scene I think, when he starts work as a bed tester. If anyone can give me the name of that actor I would be so pleased as I can imagine and hear him now.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Bernardo' date='26 June 2010 - 02:05 PM' timestamp='1277557538' post='444543']

Should be an easy one, if you know it. It is UK BW 1960's I would guess. It was made, I suspect, to cash in on the success of 'I'm All right Jack' because it is a comedy based around employment. If I know the title I can look up the actor I was trying to describe to a colleague. Film is set in small town/village and they are aspiring to full employment but they have one permanently unemployed by choice resident played by an immediately recognisable character actor who is tall, bearded with an accent and always used to play the old reprobate. Employment problem is solved in the end, closing scene I think, when he starts work as a bed tester. If anyone can give me the name of that actor I would be so pleased as I can imagine and hear him now.

Time Gentlemen Please with Eddie Byrne. It's available from the usual suspects

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    Time Gentlemen Please was actually made seven years before I'm Alright Jack . Eddie Byrne who played the lead used to crop regularly in ITC shows of the sixties including the Saint.

Bernardo I wonder when you mentioned the tall bearded old reprobate if you were thinking of fellow Irishman Noel Purcell, who seemed to make a career out of playing drunks in comedy during the fifties and sixties. Both men occasionally appeared in the same film including Odd Man Out (1946) and The Mackintosh Man (1973).

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Yes I mixed two Dublin actors of similar age up the film was Time Gentlemen Please and the actor I would have sworn was the old scallywag was in fact Noel Purcell. I shall obtain the film now just to put my memory straight. Thank you both.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Excuse me for being a bit off topic but I watched Shake Hands With The Devil the other day. Noel Purcell played an escaped IRA man called Liam O'Sullivan. He got good billing in the begining titals but he had no lines. You only got a quick glimps of him as they open up the car boot that he is hidding in before he is shot dead.

Liked
    0 times
    name='HairBear' timestamp='1275935350' post='436861']

The Naked Prey starring Cornel Wilde