Thread: Tour de France

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm a HUGE fan of the 'Tour de France'!

Unlike most Americans I'm not a big Lance fan, I think he's too arrogant.

I like Contador and the Schleck brothers!

My favorite Americans are Christian VandeVelde and Tyler Farrer.

Is it a big deal in britain?

Does having the Sky team this year attract more attention from the Brits?

It should be an interesting race!

My prediction is:

1. Andy Schleck

2. Alberto Contador

3. Adreas Kloden

Also, Lance will abandon after 10th stage because of his failure to be in top 50!

Anybody else think this is the greatest sporting event and test of individual athletic ability in the world!

Bill B.

Senior Member Country: England zettel45's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    name='WhoFan' date='03 July 2010 - 06:14 PM' timestamp='1278177257' post='447217']

Does having the Sky team this year attract more attention from the Brits?

It's not a big deal in Britain, though it might get a little more attention now we have a few decent cyclists involved. I used to follow it quite closely but, to be honest, got tired of all the drugs scandals. Year after year teams and top riders would be expelled. So for me the event began to lack credibility - shame because it should be a fantastic sporting test, especially when they get into the mountains. I've fallen out of touch regarding who the favourites are these days, but I'll be keeping half an eye on it.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='WhoFan' date='03 July 2010 - 06:14 PM' timestamp='1278177257' post='447217']

I'm a HUGE fan of the 'Tour de France'!

Tour de France? That's some sort of sports event isn't it?

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='Steve Crook' date='03 July 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1278184722' post='447264']

Tour de France? That's some sort of sports event isn't it?
    A bit like The Milk Race I think.... but bigger, stronger, faster............

I believe the cyclists must be the fittest humans on the planet and am not too surprised many took refuge in drugs. Any competition as physically demanding as this one is, in the modern world, is bound to be corrupted, just as happens in Athletics. Some of the definitions of what are drugs and what are foodstuffs seem to get a bit blurry anyhow; but no doubt they all know what they are up to. There is far more to le Tour than just the individuals however (the *winners* are often only the winners by dint of their team-mates giving way). The team-play and general tactics of the various groups of leading riders, who are often from competing teams, are always fascinating. The way a leading individual, who may have been literally miles ahead at one stage, is inexorably gobbled up by the peloton before the race's end is a marvel of Nature as well as sport.

Je t'adore le Tour......

Liked
    32 times
    name='Moor Larkin' date='03 July 2010 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1278190661' post='447321']

I believe the cyclists must be the fittest humans on the planet and am not too surprised many took refuge in drugs. Any competition as physically demanding as this one is, in the modern world, is bound to be corrupted, just as happens in Athletics. Some of the definitions of what are drugs and what are foodstuffs seem to get a bit blurry anyhow; but no doubt they all know what they are up to. There is far more to le Tour than just the individuals however (the *winners* are often only the winners by dint of their team-mates giving way).

Agreed. The team around Lance Armstrong was awesome. And watching Armstrong do the time trial up Alp d'Huez a few years back was an incredible sight - he sprinted up a bloody mountain through a sea of spectators who were never more than a couple of feet away from his front wheel.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I agree.

There is no way an individual can win without a strong and cooperative team.

One of the best parts of the Tour is in the mountains when a specific team taake sthe lead and pushes the pace up the mountain dropping rider after rider off the pace. Each team member giving it his all then dropping off, one by one, until the leader takes over and crushes the rest of his competitors. Team Discovery was brilliant at doing this and was critical to Lance's success.

Contador could find out that his lack of team support may be his downfall. Team SaxoBank and Radio Shack are much stronger teams than the Astana team and Contador is still inexperienced and rides nervously. If he gets the yellow early in the mountains he'll find that he and his team is probably not strong enough to hold till the end and will end up losing to either Saxobank (Frank or Andy Schleck) or Radio Shack (Lance, Levi or Kloden).

Lance has already surprised me in the opening Prologue and I'm sure there are many more surprises to come!

Viva La Tour!

Bill B.

Liked
    144 times
    Today they are in Pau (me town) for a rest day, the next "étape" for le Col du Tourmalet and Pyrenées mounts will start tomorow, from a few steps by my home...

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='moonfleet' date='21 July 2010 - 12:03 PM' timestamp='1279710231' post='454591']

Today they are in Pau (me town) for a rest day, the next "étape" for le Col du Tourmalet and Pyrenées mounts will start tomorow, from a few steps by my home...
    Give Andy Schleck a crafty little push from behind will you?........

He deserves a little good luck for a change

Liked
    32 times
    name='moonfleet' date='21 July 2010 - 12:03 PM' timestamp='1279710231' post='454591']

It's going to be the "make-or-break" stage. Looking forward to it.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Ah well, not a make-or-break stage after all. Surely Schleck has to do something tomorrow, as I don't think he'll better Contador in the time trial.

Nice to see Cav doing OK after his poor start.

Also (as a Francophile) great to see the French winning stages. I for one am glad the Americans aren't dominating in the way that all the pre-race hype suggested they would.

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    I watch it just for the scenery.

J'adore la France.

I'll be watching, for sure!

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    I like the tour de france , its so demanding and how they climb those cols is amazing. Can you imagine a pampered footballer doing 8 or 10 hours a day on a bike

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='ShirlGirl' date='21 July 2010 - 03:09 PM' timestamp='1279721386' post='454641']

I watch it just for the scenery.

J'adore la France.

I'll be watching, for sure!

Moi aussi

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    I never miss each days highlights, but the thought of watching it live on TV would send me to sleep to be honest. What a fascinating stage Thursday's will be though, Andy Shleck must attack surely in a do or die effort.