Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m35541

In terms of contemporary reaction to the film there is several pages devoted to it in a book by Anthony Aldgate and Jeffrey Richards (Cinema and Society or something like that).

I'm Alright Jack was the biggest grossing film of 1959 I think (or at least the biggest grossing British film).

The left wing hated the film. The loathsome Derek Hill, film critic of Tribune, thought that Sellers' performance was disgusting. He had to confess that he did find the film funny and hated himself for laughing whilst watching it. Aldgate reports that subsequent issues of Tribune had various letters from readers appalled at the film.
    I'm sure I'm right in thinking that several left-wing MPs tried to get the film banned at the time. Yes, ok, it's typically Boulting Brothers in as much as it's minutely observed and a relevant social comment of the times, but it's only a film - and a comedy at that! And if Derek Hill laughed at it, well, it MUST be funny! (.....and accurate )

Senior Member Country: England zettel45's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    The left wing hated the film. The loathsome Derek Hill, film critic of Tribune, thought that Sellers' performance was disgusting. He had to confess that he did find the film funny and hated himself for laughing whilst watching it. Aldgate reports that subsequent issues of Tribune had various letters from readers appalled at the film.
    The really annoying thing about the film for us lefties is that it contains more than a grain of truth in its satire.

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zettel45

The really annoying thing about the film for us lefties is that it contains more than a grain of truth in its satire.
    ...and surely it's precisely that that makes it funny.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    How old is Fred Kite supposed to be? Sellers is clearly playing someone who is supposed to be a lot older than he (he was only 34 when he made the film) but how old? I think a young man playing an old one is where a lot of the humour comes from.

Liked
    0 times

In terms of contemporary reaction to the film there is several pages devoted to it in a book by Anthony Aldgate and Jeffrey Richards (Cinema and Society or something like that).
    Thanks for the reference. I'll have a look at that book.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Daily Express, 12th August 1959

Nothing but praise in Leonard Mosley's review

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    I recently viewed the Boultings previous film "A French Mistress".It is truly awful.Strange that they could make such funny films interspersed with some real duds.Thier career was brought to an end by an other awful clinker "Soft Battle sHard Beds".

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I watched I'm Alright Jack again for the umpteenth time last week and it was as funny now as it ever was.

Sellers as always was brilliant, Ian Carmichael outstanding, Terry Thomas sensational and Liz Fraser in her first major part simply wonderful as was Irene Handel.

It is so funny that even though I remembered a lot of the dialogue it was still laugh out loud in scene after scene. This is without question one of my favourite British films of all time, it really is a wonderfully biting satirical look at England in the late 1950's and according to a previous post some of it not that far off the truth.

Wonderful ffffffffilm

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    "You cccccclot"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12