Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    I just sat down to watch me favouite film (on BBC2 this afternoon) when I realised that the channel had shown before it the above programme (about the film's locations.)

I am so disappointed that I missed this - I don't suppose anyone knows if it will be repeated or has it taped? I'd so love to watch this!

Thanks for reading!

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, I warched it. You missed a real treat. It was very interesting. I only noticed it was on ten minutes before the transmission and looked around frantically for a video tape to record it on. In the end, I wound forward a recording I'd done of Whistle Down the Wind off BBC2 a few years ago and recorded it on the end of the film...which was very appropriate, really.

There were interviews with both Hayley Mills and Diane Holgate as they are now and interviews with quite a few of the supporting players, who, of course, now look unrecognisable as some of them were only around six to eight years old at the time the film was made. Oddly, though, there was no sign of an interview with a modern Alan Barnes. Maybe he's no longer with us.

The programme showed the different locations the film was photographed in, including the famous barn where the children found "Jesus." Yes, it's still there. The presenter wasn't very numerate, though, as he kept referring to the film being made "forty years ago", when, in fact, 1961 is forty-TWO years ago. Unfortunately, I don't possess two video recorders, so I can't make a copy of it for you. But I'm sure there is someone reading this who can.

Liked
    0 times
    I also watched the documentary about where it was filmed and, like the previous message poster, wondered what happened to Alan Barnes, who played Charles Bostock. I've just checked IMBd and discovered that he was in 'The Victors' (1963), 'Universal Soldier' (1971) and a couple of more recent films. He's also been in an episode of 'The Bill' in 2000 and an episode of 'Eastenders' in May 2003!(playing Det. Supt. Carlston).

Liked
    1 times
    Recently received this from a great source in the States who has a vast movie collection. I was born in England and, as a child, I remember listening to the beautiful score on the radio. I had to order it as it doesn't turn up on TV here in Canada. I loved the little boy who played Hayley Mills' brother!

Liked
    0 times
    Saw the film this week. Can you chaps who saw the documentary on locations enlighten us as to where filming took place?

Senior Member Country: UK aphra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a tape of the short documentary on the locations of WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND.

Liked
    0 times
    Just missed recording it when recently transmitted and have trawled the internet trying to buy a copy without any luck. Is the film still available to buy? Have outlined the story to my daughter who is eager to see it. I would be grateful for any information.

Stevescat.

Senior Member Country: UK aphra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I have both film and documentary, if that is any help

Best,

Aphra

Liked
    0 times
    My two girls enjoyed Hayley Mills in "WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND" and I would love to get them a copy of "TIGER BAY" 1959 to complement it.

Liked
    0 times
    I have just found this site,so i hope to be able to answer some of the questions asked on here.

Alan Barnes is still with us,but he is not interested in doing interviews etc. for the film.He runs a joinery business in Lancs.The i.m.d.b.is incorrect,Alan only made one more film 'The Victors',it was apparently only a small part,and i watched it,and did not spot him!.There must be another actor with the same name

I have visited the locations twice now,so if anyone wants any help on this you can contact me direct if you wish.

I traced Diane Holgate,and after speaking to her on the phone last Oct,met her last month.She is a lovely lady, and very proud of the film.We are meeting again in the summer,to revisit all the locations.

The film is avaiable to buy on DVD,i have it and Diane signed it for me.

If anyone want more info,either leave a message here,or e mail me direct.

P.S.i'M AWAY 26 Apr-May26

Liked
    0 times
    Re my previous messages,i did meet Diane again last weekend,and we spent 2 days together visiting the locations again.I also met her father who has a scrapbook about the making of the film.On the Sunday she had arranged for 2 others from the film to meet us.I met Lois Read ,who was one of the disciples (dark haired girl who gives Alan Bates the bible),and Julie Jackson (the elder of the 2 latecomers).We had a marvellous weekend,and it was a pleasure to meet such nice people.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, I have a copy on DVD, send me your list of tv and movies and maybe we can swap something.

Hope this helps

Eddie

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    ...and of course the movie itself was given away with a National UK Newspaper sometime last year. I'm always picking up copies to pass on to my friends & relatives, as it was one of my favourite movies as a child. Back then, you were lucky if you caught it on TV once every five years, but now it's practically free for all to watch whenever they want...great stuff!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I taped BIG SCREEN BRITAIN when it was originally shown in 2003 and they covered SWALLOWS AND AMAZONS/ THE DAMBUSTERS/39 STEPS/ FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD/WHISKY GALORE/BRIEF ENCOUNTER/THE RAILWAY CHILDREN and of course WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND. Recently WHERES FRED? went to the same location in Downham nr Clitheroe and I managed to tape this!

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I missed seeing the one about Swallows and Amazons and I hope the BBC will repeat it one day. However, I understand that they could only track down two of the former girls for the programme and that the other child actors, such as Simon West and Stephen Grenville, were conspicious by their absence

Liked
    0 times
    name='darrenburnfan']I missed seeing the one about Swallows and Amazons and I hope the BBC will repeat it one day. However, I understand that they could only track down two of the former girls for the programme and that the other child actors, such as Simon West and Stephen Grenville, were conspicious by their absence

One of the girls Suzanne Hamilton appeared in the 1984 version of Orwells '1984' alongside John Hurt, she also starred in Casualty for a time. Not seen her in anything of late though.

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Hi all.

Just happen to chance across a series whilst looking on IMDB.

The series was called "Big Screen Britain" and was aired in 2003 on BBC.

I somehow missed these, and looking at the listings would love to see the episodes on The Dam Busters and Whistle Down The Wind.

Can anyone help with either of these episodes?

Very much appreciated.

Mark.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I missed the one on the 1973 film of Swallows and Amazons, filmed in the Lake District and I'd love to see it, even though they only found two of the original six children (grown up by then) to interview. No sign of Simon West or Stephen Grendon, I understand.

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Bugger! I was really hoping someone would remember this series or have taken it off. I see also it was presented by Ben Fogle and was on BBC2.

Liked
    12 times
    I have just spent hours in my shed looking for the (few) recordings I made of this great series. I, like many thought the series would be available on DVD...but I hear they had copyright problems (the film companies demanded big money for clips) so the series was 'lost'.

I have..'Far From The Madding Crowd' 'Whiskey Galore' 'Whistle Down The Wind' 'The Thirty Nine Steps' and 'The Dam Busters (minus last two mins...ran out of tape). If they are of interest to you 'markrgv' send me your details and I will copy.

Film Man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast