Senior Member Country: UK rose ellen's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Can anybody help name a film that my son remembers?He says he watched it at my house when he was a kid but I don`t remember.It was about a radio broadcast somewhere in America that stopped the world because people believed it was real about aliens.He thinks Orson Welles was in it.He did a radio broadcast and the film was about the radio show.It was definitely in black and white.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    The Night that Panicked America is about Orson Welles and his War of the Worlds broadcast though it's not in b/w

War of the worlds

Liked
    1 times
    It sounds like it might be that but he doesn`t think it is.He thought it was called something like The Night That Shook America or The Night That Shook the World.He also said it has been on TCM in black and white.It was possibly a RKO Pictures

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    According to this link there's a 1957 tv US tv play about the event. Maybe that was repeated?

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I think it was definitely the color TV movie the Captain first mentioned. That old 1950s TV play is not in circulation. There might have been a documentary about it, but there is no other dramatization.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUdgh...eature=related

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='rose ellen' date='13 July 2010 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1279056083' post='451596']

It sounds like it might be that but he doesn`t think it is.He thought it was called something like The Night That Shook America or The Night That Shook the World.He also said it has been on TCM in black and white.It was possibly a RKO Pictures
    It wouldn't have been the world that it shook because the radio show was only broadcast in America, and only some of them believed that it was a real news report

I think it certainly is a reference to this event and almost certainly the TV movie that the Captain mentioned

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    If he is misremebering and the broadcast that shook up the world had nothing to do with aliens, it might be this movie. This could have been on the TCM because it is an MGM movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042786/

Liked
    0 times
    http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/ni...a_trembled.htm

Here is a review of the television play the Captain referred to. I'm surprised it still exists as many of those dramas broadcast live are lost. This certainly has not been shown on American television since its original broadcast and would not have been on TCM. Production and technical standards on these televised live plays are pretty shabby.

Orson Welles as a character or actor is not in this version.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='will.15' date='14 July 2010 - 04:40 AM' timestamp='1279078846' post='451667']

http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/ni...a_trembled.htm

Here is a review of the television play the Captain referred to. I'm surprised it still exists as many of those dramas broadcast live are lost. This certainly has not been shown on American television since its original broadcast and would not have been on TCM. Production and technical standards on these televised live plays are pretty shabby.

Orson Welles as a character or actor is not in this version.
    As the OP is in the UK, the TCM their son is referring to could well have been TCM (UK) which has a completely different schedule and playlist to TCM (US). But I doubt it was on TCM (UK) either

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Here is the 1950s TV drama. Nobody watching this would think it's a movie.

http://www.archive.org/details/Studi...erica_Trembled

Liked
    1 times
    My son could have remembered it wrong and it could be the colour film but when I asked he said my nephew had seen it on TCM(that is in the U.K) about three years ago.It couldn`t have been the film Will.15 mentioned if my son saw it as a kid because it sounds like the sort of thing I would avoid like the plague.

Liked
    0 times
    A black and white movie about The War of the Worlds radio broadcast does not exist. I was thinking maybe he was confusing it with the actual War of the Worlds movie from the early 1950s, but that is in color.

There is a radio reporter in the 1953 movie and there are scenes of people panicking and rioting in the street. It's in color, but the color is darker than modern color movies. I have a suspicion he is confusing his knowledge of the Orson Welles broadcast with this movie.

Liked
    1 times
    I agree that my son is probably confusing the Orson Welles radio broadcast with the War of the Worlds movie.I know we watched that one a few times when he was a child and he says we saw it more than once.Also when he was very young I still had a black and white t.v but he insistes his cousin saw it in black and white.I think he may have remembered wrong though maybe he confused it with another black and white film he saw around that time.Thank you to everybody for trying to help solve this.

Liked
    1 times
    Here's the Captain's suggestion.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xydQRuXurk8[/media]

Extract fromThe 1975 The Night ThatPanicked America, but it's colour.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ehOHuW2FA[/media]