Liked
    13 times
    THE PROTECTORS

Available from Network on Monday 9th August

The Protectors - complete series dvd

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    name='Number Six' date='19 http://www.networkdvd.net/upcoming_products.phpJuly 2010 - 11:20 AM' timestamp='1279534836' post='453702']

THE PROTECTORS

Available from Network on Monday 9th August

The Protectors - complete series dvd

For some reason, the link on the first post doesn't work, so try here:

Protectors DVD set

Liked
    0 times
    name='Number Six' date='19 July 2010 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1279540479' post='453757']

For some reason, the link on the first post doesn't work, so try here:

Protectors DVD set

Excellent, Network keep delivering the goods.

I must say "4 Just men" also looks interesting.....never seen it before.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    After watching the opening credits on this show umpteen times, I know they pinched the helicopter/flower truck sequence in From Russia With Love. Does anyone know where they got the exploding bridge from, or the yellow Fiat that rolls over? Don't think either of these are in the series.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigon Man View Post
    After watching the opening credits on this show umpteen times, I know they pinched the helicopter/flower truck sequence in From Russia With Love. Does anyone know where they got the exploding bridge from, or the yellow Fiat that rolls over? Don't think either of these are in the series.

The exploding bridge was from Campbell's Kingdom ..I think maybe wrong?

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I believe the exploding helicopter shot was also pinched by DOCTOR WHO for "The Daemons" in 1971.

Senior Member Country: Lithuania Cooper S's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    I believe the yellow Fiat shot was from a Saint epsiode, and was a genuine accident.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    Thanks for that Cooper S. If it was from the Saint it must have been a later episode. the Fiat looks like an 850 from the late sixties early seventies, spectacular crash as well I wonder what caused it? There was no other traffic apart from the camera car in front, the driver really lost it.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Does anyone know why Tony Anholt never gets a pre-title credit although he does just as much as Robert Vaughn and Nyree Dawn Porter in each episode. Isn't he 'one of the gang'? Not a big name? It always looks weird when there's the three images but he's a bit forgotten!

Also, it is a pity each episode was only 25 minutes. Many of the guest stars have little to do and, of necessity, the plots are very basic (interestingly, Tales of the Unexpected were the same length but seem to have accomplished stronger story arcs). If they'd trimmed that bloated title sequence in The Protectors they would have gained a couple of valuable minutes.

And the Network DVDs are not that great at playing back in a computer - has anyone else noticed this?

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5 View Post
    Does anyone know why Tony Anholt never gets a pre-title credit although he does just as much as Robert Vaughn and Nyree Dawn Porter in each episode. Isn't he 'one of the gang'? Not a big name? It always looks weird when there's the three images but he's a bit forgotten!

Also, it is a pity each episode was only 25 minutes. Many of the guest stars have little to do and, of necessity, the plots are very basic (interestingly, Tales of the Unexpected were the same length but seem to have accomplished stronger story arcs). If they'd trimmed that bloated title sequence in The Protectors they would have gained a couple of valuable minutes.

And the Network DVDs are not that great at playing back in a computer - has anyone else noticed this?
    The title sequence really was the best thing about this show...

As a kid, I always loved the bit when Vaughan snaps his jacket back after holstering his gun.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME View Post
    The title sequence really was the best thing about this show...

As a kid, I always loved the bit when Vaughan snaps his jacket back after holstering his gun.
    I agree the show was a perfect example of style over substance. I religiously watched as a kid but can remember nothing apart from the theme tune, the opening credits, Nyree was a contessa and Tony was third fiddle.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sloane View Post
    I agree the show was a perfect example of style over substance. I religiously watched as a kid but can remember nothing apart from the theme tune, the opening credits, Nyree was a contessa and Tony was third fiddle.
    Yes & the picture quality always seemed a bit blurry & cheap to me! I always watched it though!

GRAEME
    Picked up a few dvds in a charity shop a while back and was looking forward to viewing them - gave up after two episodes. Very thin. Poor dialogue. All the problems of Anderson's other live action shows without the time for plotting and characterisation, or the tele-fantasy elements to add originality and imagination.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Not having the best of times with this series (Unmemorable rather than 'Classic' TV). It's been part of my Wednesday night viewing schedule for the last two years but after a consistent start I'm not even averaging one episode per month at the moment, preferring to watch the American/Region 1 shows Honey West, Johnny Staccato and The Invaders. Faring slightly better with Jason King, another ITC show. More fulfilling at 50 minutes.

Daily Mirror, 19th April 1972

I get the impression Miss Porter did it for the money ...!

New dawn for Nyree

CLIFFORD DAVIS

reports from Cannes

NYREE DAWN PORTER fans are in for a shock ... The cool, calm lady from the Forsyte Saga has become a tough private eye in "The Protectors", which is being screened for the first time at the TV Festival here.

Nyree stars opposite Robert Vaughn, formerly "The Man From UNCLE", in this ATV series. But she's a very different Nyree Dawn Porter to any you've seen before. She shoots at villains with an automatic. She has a fit of the shakes as a go-go dancer. She flirts outrageously. And she wise-cracks.

Hit

Nyree's new series will be on British TV this autumn. But, as far as foreign buyers are concerned, she's a hit already. America, which has already bought twenty-six half-hour episodes, has ordered twenty-six more - without a single episode being screened.

"The Protectors" is putting Nyree in the big money bracket fot the first time. I reckon her share of the programme's earnings will bring her in as much as �300,000. And that would make her Britain's highest paid woman TV star
    [followed by Wendy Craig?].

But if it hadn't been for a chance meeting at a charity ball Nyree would never have got the role. ATV chief Sir Lew Grade told her how much he enjoyed her performance in "The Forsyte Saga" and offered her the part.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I would only buy the DVD to see the NSU Ro80 which appears in one episode.

pro2157ml1.jpg pro21614sj8.jpg pro21518ha2.jpg pro22129hv9.jpg
    Last edited by FX3; 27-09-14 at 10:49 PM.