Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Paul Tritton's proposal for this year's A Canterbury Tale location walk is that we should look around Canterbury itself and include some of the places that Michael Powell would have known as a young boy as are detailed in Paul's new book Michael Powell's Canterbury Tales

We'll start at the Dane John Tower on the southern part of the city wall. The tower is a five-minute walk from Canterbury East Railway Station and Canterbury Bus Station and there are several car parks nearby. The tower is up on a hill (an old Norman motte & bailey) and that gives a fine panoramic view over Canterbury.

We'll meet at the tower (at the top of the hill) at 1:30 on Sunday 29 August. Then we'll explore the streets that Michael knew intimately as schoolboy, see locations where he filmed the final scenes for A Canterbury Tale, and end our visit at Canterbury Cathedral.

No need to book - just turn up - but please give generously to the collection in aid of Kent Kids Miles of Smiles.

NB: there is an £8 admission charge to the Cathedral (concessions £7).

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Do you have to bring your own glue or is it supplied?

Liked
    418 times
    name='orpheum' date='23 July 2010 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1279899515' post='455405']

Do you have to bring your own glue or is it supplied?
    Bring your own - if that's the part you want to play. But then we'll send you to Chillinbourne while the rest of us are enjoying our walk around Canterbury

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='Steve Crook' date='23 July 2010 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1279914706' post='455512']

Bring your own - if that's the part you want to play. But then we'll send you to Chillinbourne while the rest of us are enjoying our walk around Canterbury

Steve

Lol, and I'll be Ovenden's donkey, after all I am one!

This is the tower we'll be meeting at, hope we can all perch on that bit of grass up there!

Senior Member Country: UK flynn's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    i would realy like to go. i just hope i can make it.

i got the Criterion issue of A Canterbury Tale.and enjoyed the film locations

walks that you did.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='flynn' date='24 July 2010 - 12:45 PM' timestamp='1279971916' post='455699']

i would realy like to go. i just hope i can make it.

i got the Criterion issue of A Canterbury Tale.and enjoyed the film locations

walks that you did.

I hope you can flynn, all being well twixt now and the end of August I hope to be there, I might look around and see about staying in the area overnight this time, but I'm not sure, a busy old city is Canterbury!

Liked
    8 times
    name='Mark O' date='24 July 2010 - 01:00 PM' timestamp='1279972832' post='455706']

I hope you can flynn, all being well twixt now and the end of August I hope to be there, I might look around and see about staying in the area overnight this time, but I'm not sure, a busy old city is Canterbury!

Thanks Mark.like you. i would be wanting to stay over for a few days.

but like you say it will be a very busy place.plus i bet expensive at that time of year.

i could always pitch my Tent on that grassy hill near the Tower.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Mark O' date='24 July 2010 - 01:00 PM' timestamp='1279972832' post='455706']

There's always room for a few more "pilgrims"

If you do want to stay overnight I can recommend The Pilgrims Hotel at 18, The Friars. The place looks quite small but there are about 15 rooms there. It's a 16th century building so is a bit cosy and quaint but it's been fitted with all that the modern guest should need without destroying its charm.

It's a family run inn with a good restaurant. It's right by The Marlowe Theatre (currently undergoing restoration) which, as the old Friars Cinema was where A Canterbury Tale had its world première. It's quite close to the centre of town and to the Cathedral.

I've stayed there a few times now and I particularly like that you can get a room with a bath, not just a shower. After walking all day, exploring the area, there's nothing like a good soak in a hot bath

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    name='flynn' date='24 July 2010 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1279973586' post='455709']

Thanks Mark.like you. i would be wanting to stay over for a few days.

but like you say it will be a very busy place.plus i bet expensive at that time of year.

i could always pitch my Tent on that grassy hill near the Tower.
    If you do stay in the area for a few days, I can also highly recommend Paul Tritton's book A Canterbury Tale - Memories of a Classic Wartime Movie. As well as interviews with a lot of the people who helped make the film Paul has also identified just about every location used and there are "Then & Now" comparison photos and the map reference to help you find it.

Steve

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    I'll be there again this year. I am looking forward to it. It's well worth the long drive from Cheshire.

Liked
    8 times
    name='Steve Crook' date='24 July 2010 - 01:26 PM' timestamp='1279974390' post='455715']

If you do stay in the area for a few days, I can also highly recommend Paul Tritton's book A Canterbury Tale - Memories of a Classic Wartime Movie. As well as interviews with a lot of the people who helped make the film Paul has also identified just about every location used and there are "Then & Now" comparison photos and the map reference to help you find it.

Steve

Thanks Steve.i have been after that Book for awhile.i will hopefully get it

in a couple of months.thats why i got the Criterion edition for the Location

walks.and interviews. and the Book sounds just as good.

Liked
    3 times
    name='flynn' date='24 July 2010 - 01:37 PM' timestamp='1279975072' post='455726']

Thanks Steve.i have been after that Book for awhile.i will hopefully get it

in a couple of months.thats why i got the Criterion edition for the Location

walks.and interviews. and the Book sounds just as good.
    It's a great book and a must for any ACT fans. If you call the publisher, he will print one off for you.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Santonix' date='24 July 2010 - 01:49 PM' timestamp='1279975797' post='455730']

It's a great book and a must for any ACT fans. If you call the publisher, he will print one off for you.
    Yes, it's on a "print on demand" system. The publishers/printers have all the details stored in their computer. When they get an order they will wait a few days to see if they get any others but even if they don't then they can still print off just one copy of the book. Isn't modern technology wonderful

Paul's new book, Michael Powell's Canterbury Tales is done with the same publishers/printers on the same system. That one's all about the Edwardian Canterbury and surrounding area where Michael Powell grew up. It includes lots of extracts from his diaries and letters and family photos as well as other photos (Then & Now) from the area

Steve

Liked
    8 times
    Thanks for the information.Santonix and Steve.

Liked
    3 times
    You're welcome flynn, hope to see in Canterbury.

Liked
    8 times
    Thanks Santonix.

Liked
    8 times
    name='Steve Crook' date='24 July 2010 - 01:23 PM' timestamp='1279974180' post='455712']

If you do want to stay overnight I can recommend The Pilgrims Hotel at 18, The Friars. The place looks quite small but there are about 15 rooms there. It's a 16th century building so is a bit cosy and quaint but it's been fitted with all that the modern guest should need without destroying its charm.

It's a family run inn with a good restaurant. It's right by The Marlowe Theatre (currently undergoing restoration) which, as the old Friars Cinema was where A Canterbury Tale had its world première. It's quite close to the centre of town and to the Cathedral.

I've stayed there a few times now and I particularly like that you can get a room with a bath, not just a shower. After walking all day, exploring the area, there's nothing like a good soak in a hot bath

Steve

Thanks for that Steve.i have just noticed the post.

it sounds a great place to stay.everything is close by.

i have just been fully exploring the site.and have been enjoying the report

you did.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    name='Steve Crook' date='24 July 2010 - 01:23 PM' timestamp='1279974180' post='455712']

Steve

You havent told them about the ghost Steve

Liked
    8 times
    name='Arfur Teacake' date='24 July 2010 - 08:27 PM' timestamp='1279999658' post='455843']

i better take a Different kind of spirit with me then.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Arfur Teacake' date='24 July 2010 - 08:27 PM' timestamp='1279999658' post='455843']

Ghost? What ghost?

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast