Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Barbara Shelley

  1. #1
    Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56
    Liked
    0 times
    Barbara Shelley will be making a personal appearance at the National Film Theatre in London - Monday 17th August at 6.20 along with Jonathan Rigby, author of English Gothic- introducing a showing of The Camp on Blood Island. It will be good to see this at last in a proper 2.35:1 print - I hope!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Country: Germany
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    236
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey, I wish I could be there - Barbara Shelley is a most charming Lady with a wicked sense of humour.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,158
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley Court
    Barbara Shelley will be making a personal appearance at the National Film Theatre in London - Monday 17th August at 6.20 along with Jonathan Rigby, author of English Gothic- introducing a showing of The Camp on Blood Island. It will be good to see this at last in a proper 2.35:1 print - I hope!
    Hope it goes well for you Shelley, and also you may have to put up with stifled laughter as it's one of the worst casting films in the history of British cinema in my opinion



    kingbman

  4. #4
    Senior Member Country: UK tv horror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    155
    Liked
    0 times
    Is anyone going to the showing.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Country: Canada
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    679
    Liked
    0 times
    It would be well worth seeing Barbara, as she doesn't make public appearances much these days (due to ill health, I think).

  6. #6
    Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,144
    Liked
    45 times
    I well remember her as a lovely lady to work with.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    27
    Liked
    0 times
    I loved how Barbara Shelley looked in "Village of the Damned" from 1960, so I've been curious about some of her earlier films. IMDB lists several obscurities (at least, obscure to me) from the same era:



    Cat Girl (1957)



    The End of the Line (1957)



    The Camp on Blood Island (1958)



    The Solitary Child (1958)



    Murder at Site 3 (1959)



    Deadly Record (1959)



    Bobbikins (1959)



    Shadow of the Cat (1961)



    Stranglehold (1962)



    Postman's Knock (1962)



    Are any of these worth seeking out in order to experience Barbara at the height of her great beauty? And are any of them they any good?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,453
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettySpaghetti

    I loved how Barbara Shelley looked in "Village of the Damned" from 1960, so I've been curious about some of her earlier films. IMDB lists several obscurities (at least, obscure to me) from the same era:



    Cat Girl (1957)



    The End of the Line (1957)



    The Camp on Blood Island (1958)



    The Solitary Child (1958)



    Murder at Site 3 (1959)



    Deadly Record (1959)



    Bobbikins (1959)



    Shadow of the Cat (1961)



    Stranglehold (1962)



    Postman's Knock (1962)



    Are any of these worth seeking out in order to experience Barbara at the height of her great beauty? And are any of them they any good?
    Barbara is very effective in The Shadow of the Cat, which is shown as "A B.H.P. Film", but is in fact an early Hammer Film appearance by her.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Country: UK HammerDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    123
    Liked
    0 times
    Another vote for The Shadow of the Cat. Hammer fans generally seem quite down on it, but when I eventually tracked it down I was pleasantly surprised. It's about the closest Hammer got to doing a Roger Corman Poe-type film. Shelley and Andre André Morell are terrific.



    Cat Girl is interesting, although Barbara had only just returned from working in Europe so her performance of the English dialogue is unusually clipped and oddly delivered. She looks great though. Also the male lead Robert Ayres is completely unsympathetic and comes off as a complete tool.



    The Camp on Blood Island is a fine film, but given it's about Japanese POWs I wouldn't watch it expecting Shelley to look her usual gorgeous self

  10. #10
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,839
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDave

    Another vote for The Shadow of the Cat. Hammer fans generally seem quite down on it, but when I eventually tracked it down I was pleasantly surprised. It's about the closest Hammer got to doing a Roger Corman Poe-type film. Shelley and Andre André Morell are terrific.



    Cat Girl is interesting, although Barbara had only just returned from working in Europe so her performance of the English dialogue is unusually clipped and oddly delivered. She looks great though. Also the male lead Robert Ayres is completely unsympathetic and comes off as a complete tool.



    The Camp on Blood Island is a fine film, but given it's about Japanese POWs I wouldn't watch it expecting Shelley to look her usual gorgeous self
    Hammerdave your comment on S.O.T.Cat: Good solid thriller, a bit stagey in some scenes-but worthy of a look for those yet to see. The drowning swamp scenes were very effective, seen from a 'cat's view'-wide angle lens and distorted-another scene where the cat has yet again led to the death of one the killer's of the cat's Mistress. Freda Jackson in fine fettle as the hysterical 'Clara' housekeeper to the murderous household. Yes and Barbara plays a benign and restrained 'English Rose' part.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,246
    Liked
    0 times
    I hadn't realised that she was in Murder at Site Three- Francis Searle quota quickie I'd love to see. I agree with the comment about Cat Girl, well worth checking out though for a more sensuous side to her screen persona.



    Shadow of the Cat isn't a Hammer film but its a decent thriller as most Gilling films were

  12. #12
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,453
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hamilton

    I hadn't realised that she was in Murder at Site Three- Francis Searle quota quickie I'd love to see. I agree with the comment about Cat Girl, well worth checking out though for a more sensuous side to her screen persona.



    Shadow of the Cat isn't a Hammer film but its a decent thriller as most Gilling films were
    I think The Shadow of the Cat is really a Hammer Film, maybe not in copyright terms: "B.H.P. Films Ltd./A Jon Penington Production", but it was made at Bray with the regular Hammer crew.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,246
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell

    I think The Shadow of the Cat is really a Hammer Film, maybe not in copyright terms: "B.H.P. Films Ltd./A Jon Penington Production", but it was made at Bray with the regular Hammer crew.


    Not sure what defines a 'Hammer' film if it isn't the production entity?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,453
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hamilton

    Not sure what defines a 'Hammer' film if it isn't the production entity?
    I take your point, but even putting aside the use of the word "Hammer" as a generic term for this kind of film - I remember Philip Jenkinson being lambasted in the Radio Times years ago for calling the Fu Manchu films of the 60s "Hammer Films" - on the technical side for this one, for what it's worth:-


    The Shadow of the Cat is a bona fide Hammer film, despite going out as a BHP production. BHP was formed in 1960 by writer George Baxt, theatrical agent Richard Hatton and producer Jon Pennington (sic). Baxt wrote a script and they took the project to Hammer, who in turn secured backing from Universal on 17 August [1960]. The film would eventually be shot by Hammer's regular crew at Bray and production stills bare (sic) reference to it being Hammer's 73rd production.



    Wayne Kinsey, Hammer Films The Bray Studios Years

  15. #15
    Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,246
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell

    I take your point, but even putting aside the use of the word "Hammer" as a generic term for this kind of film - I remember Philip Jenkinson being lambasted in the Radio Times years ago for calling the Fu Manchu films of the 60s "Hammer Films" - on the technical side for this one, for what it's worth:-


    The Shadow of the Cat is a bona fide Hammer film, despite going out as a BHP production. BHP was formed in 1960 by writer George Baxt, theatrical agent Richard Hatton and producer Jon Pennington (sic). Baxt wrote a script and they took the project to Hammer, who in turn secured backing from Universal on 17 August [1960]. The film would eventually be shot by Hammer's regular crew at Bray and production stills bare (sic) reference to it being Hammer's 73rd production.



    Wayne Kinsey, Hammer Films The Bray Studios Years
    Yeah there is a school of lazy journalism that defines anything with Chris Lee and/or Peter Cushing as a Hammer film; likewise though there is a generation of fans who make sweeping generalisations, 'I love Hammer movies'- not entirely sure what that statement means either. One might as well say I love NFFC films because they had money in the Hammer movies. In fact I suspect that the BHP marque was there to qualify for NFFC funding!

  16. #16
    Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,961
    Liked
    308 times
    A Front-of-House still featuring Barbara Shelley and Andrew Keir in Quatermass and the Pit (1967).



    I have also posted the above Front-of-House still on Andrew Keir's Thread on Brit Movie.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,269
    Liked
    85 times
    Here's Barbara wearing the same clobber as above but using a bike to cycle between set ups whilst battling the Martians in Quatermass and the Pit



    And here's here first screen role in a blink and you'll miss it appearance in Hammer's Mantrap from 1953, She was still billed as Barbara Kowin then.


  18. #18
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,721
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dremble wedge View Post

    And here's here first screen role in a blink and you'll miss it appearance in Hammer's Mantrap from 1953, She was still billed as Barbara Kowin then.

    Excellent find, dremble!

Similar Threads

  1. Barbara New RIP
    By Deansid87 in forum Obituaries
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-05-10, 05:33 PM
  2. Who is the best horror actress Barbara Steele or Barbara Shelley?
    By Vlad Orlok in forum Actors and Actresses
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 26-05-10, 05:54 PM
  3. Shelley TV series.
    By Captain Casper in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (TV)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-11-09, 11:46 PM
  4. shelley winters tv interviews
    By shelley1974 in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (TV)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-12-06, 06:36 PM
  5. Shelley Winters Rip
    By julian_craster in forum Obituaries
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-01-06, 01:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts