Liked
    0 times
    Hi, I like to read your contributions constantly and I'm amazed at your overwhelming knowledge in this field. I have a slither of a memory from the very early 70's about, I think, a governmental warning advert. It use to always frighten me when it came on and at the time i was sure that it was aimed at avoiding being murdered. This of course is ridiculous but that is how it felt to a 3-4 year old. The bit that sticks out in my mind was the end when a woman is sitting at her bedroom table fixing her make up looking into a round mirror when she glimpses somebody behind her. Am I just imagining this? Or was there a safety advert with this image within it? Cheers, Steve

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    name='stegordon21' date='26 July 2010 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1280160232' post='456455']

Hi, I like to read your contributions constantly and I'm amazed at your overwhelming knowledge in this field. I have a slither of a memory from the very early 70's about, I think, a governmental warning advert. It use to always frighten me when it came on and at the time i was sure that it was aimed at avoiding being murdered. This of course is ridiculous but that is how it felt to a 3-4 year old. The bit that sticks out in my mind was the end when a woman is sitting at her bedroom table fixing her make up looking into a round mirror when she glimpses somebody behind her. Am I just imagining this? Or was there a safety advert with this image within it? Cheers, Steve

I vaguely remember the woman in the mirror but wasn`t it a car mirror? Perhaps a safety ad for clunk click every trip? Or perhaps if it was a bedroom mirror it was an ad about locking your doors at night? Beware there`s a thief about and all that?

xx

Liked
    0 times
    name='faginsgirl' date='26 July 2010 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1280160475' post='456458']

I vaguely remember the woman in the mirror but wasn`t it a car mirror? Perhaps a safety ad for clunk click every trip? Or perhaps if it was a bedroom mirror it was an ad about locking your doors at night? Beware there`s a thief about and all that?

xx

You could be right, it's all a bit misty for me, now you mention it I think it might have been geared towards car safety cheers xx

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    It's possibly not what you remember, but take a look at one of the most frightening scenes ever shown in Doctor Who:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2H-Z...eature=related

Liked
    0 times
    name='oxfam1uk' timestamp='1280262208' post='457138']

It's possibly not what you remember, but take a look at one of the most frightening scenes ever shown in Doctor Who:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2H-Z...eature=related

The opening image of this clip was similar in the sense that the woman was looking into a mirror fixing her make up however it wasn't in black and white an in it was one villainous chap who looked a bit like a sweeney version of Peter Bowles. I'm sure it was a Public Information advert, Ive been through tons on youtube to great delight but alas nothing!!!!!!

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    name='stegordon21' timestamp='1280348071' post='457465']

The opening image of this clip was similar in the sense that the woman was looking into a mirror fixing her make up however it wasn't in black and white an in it was one villainous chap who looked a bit like a sweeney version of Peter Bowles. I'm sure it was a Public Information advert, Ive been through tons on youtube to great delight but alas nothing!!!!!!
    Maybe it was a public information advert highlighting the dangers of marrying stereotypical 'bounders'?

I used to be terrified of the 'heart attack awareness' P I adverts in which the wife emotionally blackmails her husband into eating a massive fry up which leads to a heart attack! "come on love,i've made it specially"!