Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Unknown Policemen in 'Gideon's Way'

These are all from A Perfect Crime, the last episode to be filmed (in May 1965, a few weeks after I was born). The non-uniformed actors are John Gregson, left, as Commander Gideon, and Alec Mango, who plays a crooked lawyer. The one next to John has a resemblance to Alister Williamson but I doubt it's him.

I've just found the cropped figure on the right and will include him in my next post.

Gideon is questioning Patrick Bedford about 'partner in crime' Patrick Allen, but who is this Policeman?:

"Do you think he killed your wife [Jean Marsh]?" - "Yeah."

Janitor George Merritt's information leads the police to a taxi rank, in Sloane Square, where this PC
    shows a photo of Jean to the drivers in the hope that someone can remember her final destination:

Thinking about it, this could well be the same actor that's in the second picture.

I posted captures of two of the other drivers earlier at 'Who are these people???' but the face of the bloke on the right here isn't properly shown. I wonder why? The only cabbie to recognise Jean Marsh, by the way, is 'Cockney' Richard Davies, before he found fame as the Welsh schoolteacher in Please Sir!.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 13-12-10 at 12:51 PM.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I seem to have had a fix of "Peter Brace as policeman" these last couple of days, but could this be him foreground right facing front controlling the crowd in Gideon's Day (1958)?:

Liked
    177 times
    Can't help you on this occasion, Gerald, but Peter Brace is gradually becoming familiar to me, mainly from a recent viewing of Man in a Suitcase: Essay in Evil, where he played Donald Houston's bodyguard. Not 'Unnoticed' at all!

On the subject of recognising actors, I re-read the Richard McNeff posts earlier in the thread and found that it was back in October when I first mentioned 'Getting to Know You'. It has taken all this time but I'm just about ready to start the thread, hopefully after this post. Richard will be the first subject. In the meantime, there is unfinished business ...

Re: Unknown Policemen in 'Gideon's Way: A Perfect Crime

Last time, I promised to show the one who was cropped out of the first picture. Here he is (on the left):

Does anyone recognise him, or any of the Extras behind? With Alec Mango and John Gregson again.

Unknown Policeman in 'Strange Report'

There's also this actor, briefly seen in the episode KIDNAP: Whose Pretty Girl Are You?, filmed in September 1968:

This is from a scene in Hyde Park where criminologist Adam Strange (Anthony Quayle) has just picked up some soil, left behind from Ian Ogilvy's shoes, which he places in an envelope! No wonder the young policeman has a bewildered look on his face. The Strange discovery turns out to be a vital clue, however. I'm more optimistic about this 'Policeman' being identified.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 08-02-11 at 10:37 PM.

Senior Member Country: Wales Plwmsan's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Gideon is questioning Patrick Bedford about 'partner in crime' Patrick Allen, but who is this Policeman?:

"Do you think he killed your wife [Jean Marsh]?" - "Yeah."
    Hi Cornershop, the uniformed policeman looks very much like a young Terence Donovan (Jason's Dad). I'm sure he was active in the UK during the early to mid 60's.

Could it be him?
    Last edited by Plwmsan; 09-02-11 at 04:36 AM.

Liked
    177 times
    Hello! Welcome to the Forum. That is a brilliant guess. I thought he looked familiar and think you could well be right. This is how he looked in The Champions: Twelve Hours, which I know also featured our Aitch (Harry Fielder) and cult favourite Rio Fanning. Terence played a Radio Operator:

From The Actors Compendium

I'm convinced, and expect our usual contributors to agree. Great work. Thank you very much indeed.

Coincidentally, at the 'Getting to Know You' thread I finally managed to create earlier, I posted a capture of Richard McNeff as a Radio Operator!
    Last edited by cornershop15; 09-02-11 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Half-asleep.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the welcome Cornershop

Does anyone recognise him, or any of the Extras behind? With Alec Mango and John Gregson again
    Could the guy in the background directly above Alex Mango's shoulder possibly be Peter Ellis (The Bill's Chief Superintendent Brownlow)? He did feature in a few crime series of that era.

Last edited by Plwmsan; 09-02-11 at 06:38 AM.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    Can't help you on this occasion, Gerald, but Peter Brace is gradually becoming familiar to me, mainly from a recent viewing of Man in a Suitcase: Essay in Evil, where he played Donald Houston's bodyguard. Not 'Unnoticed' at all!

On the subject of recognising actors, I re-read the Richard McNeff posts earlier in the thread and found that it was back in October when I first mentioned 'Getting to Know You'. It has taken all this time but I'm just about ready to start the thread, hopefully after this post. Richard will be the first subject. In the meantime, there is unfinished business ...

Re: Unknown Policemen in 'Gideon's Way: A Perfect Crime

Last time, I promised to show the one who was cropped out of the first picture. Here he is (on the left):

Does anyone recognise him, or any of the Extras behind? With Alec Mango and John Gregson again.

Unknown Policeman in 'Strange Report'

There's also this actor, briefly seen in the episode KIDNAP: Whose Pretty Girl Are You?, filmed in September 1968:

This is from a scene in Hyde Park where criminologist Adam Strange (Anthony Quayle) has just picked up some soil, left behind from Ian Ogilvy's shoes, which he places in an envelope! No wonder the young policeman has a bewildered look on his face. The Strange discovery turns out to be a vital clue, however. I'm more optimistic about this 'Policeman' being identified.
    I'm more optimistic about this 'Policeman' being identified.[/QUOTE]

Bill Hibbit...

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    8 times
    Harry is correct it is Bill Hibbit.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    13 times

Is that Gerald Paris on the left. Looks just like his picture from Diamonds Are Forever.

Liked
    182 times

And I'd now say that the lady in the hat over Alec Mango's left shoulder is the extra I thought was Brenda Cowling in the RANDALL AND HOPKIRK DECEASED episode "The House on Haunted Hill".
    Last edited by Gerald Lovell; 11-02-11 at 09:53 PM.

Liked
    177 times
    Belated thanks for your replies (distracted by other threads).

Aitch, I did a Google search for Bill Hibbit and found that you also identified him at The Sweeney Forum. Based on your description (pink shirt, glasses), I looked for the actor's appearance in the episode Jackpot but couldn't tell if the Strange Report policeman was among the gang of crooks at the beginning. It was difficult to see any of them properly, or even a pink shirt! I hope I've got the right scene.

Re: Gideon's Way - A Perfect Crime

Quote Originally Posted by Plwmsan View Post
    Could the guy in the background directly above Alex Mango's shoulder possibly be Peter Ellis (The Bill's Chief Superintendent Brownlow)? He did feature in a few crime series of that era.

I've found a closer view of him, Plwmsan. He looks more like Alexander Davion here (far left):

"I don't want this to happen again, your worship", says lawyer Alec Mango [if you want to check your DVD]

There's no reason why it shouldn't be cult favourite Alex, as he was one of the stars, but I have my doubts. This capture should also help you, Gerald, regarding the Lady with the Hat (yes, another one!). I will repost it at your 'Sighted' thread, along with one of your screencaps from Randall and Hopkirk. I'm still not sure that's Brenda Cowling but she does, indeed, look like the same lady.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 20-02-11 at 08:35 PM.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the capture. I think you're right about him most probably being Alexander Davion, it certainly does look like him from that angle.

Thanks

Liked
    177 times
    Re: Gideon's Way - A Perfect Crime

Hello again, Plwmsan,

You inspired me to look at the courtroom scene again, just to see if there were any full face shots
    of our mystery Extra. All I can say is that this proves he's neither Alexander Davion or Peter Ellis!:

Looks more like a young Sydney Tafler.

Although this unknown Extra is more suited to 'Who are these people???', there is a Policeman on the right who needs identifying. Any ideas?
    Last edited by cornershop15; 22-02-11 at 01:51 AM.

Liked
    0 times
    That shot certainly puts the kibosh on him being either of the two mentioned.

I've no ideas regarding the policeman on the right at the moment I'm afraid.

Liked
    8 times
    Not sure about the policeman, but that is Bill Westley on the left.

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whitstablejim View Post
    Not sure about the policeman, but that is Bill Westley on the left.
    Jim, is that Bill Sr.'s son then? Did Bill (Jr.) become an assistant director later?

Liked
    182 times
    Just a couple of coppers watching Anthony Quayle's double being "rescued" by stuntmen in STRANGE REPORT "Report 0649 Skeleton 'Let Sleeping Heroes Lie' ":

But do we know them?

Liked
    8 times
    Gerald. Yes that is Bill seniors son, and was a 1st assistant director, I think now retired, Bill has also got a son Kevin, who is also a 1st AD.

Liked
    182 times
    Thanks, Jim. I think Bill (Jr.) may also have been the original stunt double for Diana Rigg in THE AVENGERS! Later Cyd Child took over.

Senior Member Country: Australia dissolute's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whitstablejim View Post
    Harry is correct it is Bill Hibbit.
    Can you confirm that this is Bill as well?

And while I'm about it, anyone recognise this guy? He turns up in Dangerman, The Avengers, The Champions, and The Saint, probably in other shows as well.
    Last edited by dissolute; 21-03-11 at 12:00 AM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast