Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone know the poem that was used in this film, it goes along the lines

"The life that I have, is all that I have

and the life I give to you.

The love that I have, is all that I have and

the love I give to you.

Anyone know the correct version?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    sandrose:

Does anyone know the poem that was used in this film, it goes along the lines

"The life that I have, is all that I have

and the life I give to you.

The love that I have, is all that I have and

the love I give to you.

Anyone know the correct version?
    See

The Life That I Have

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times

Senior Member Country: England noglea's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    'Carve Her Name' always seems to appear on Michael Caine filmographys but I have not yet spotted him in the film. Does anyone know if he is actually in it. I have just checked on imdb and they credit him as an extra.

Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by noglea@Aug 22 2005, 04:33 PM

'Carve Her Name' always seems to appear on Michael Caine filmographys but I have not yet spotted him in the film. Does anyone know if he is actually in it. I have just checked on imdb and they credit him as an extra.

Michael Caine appears briefly as one of the prisoners on the train. As Violette starts to escape he leans forwards and calls out for water.

It is listed under Trivia for the film.

Steve

Senior Member Country: England noglea's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Steve. I'll check the scene out.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    I couldn't see Caine in the described scene for Carve Her Name with Pride.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM
    I couldn't see Caine in the described scene for Carve Her Name with Pride.
    Have another look

When Violette & Denise are about to escape from the train and they hear the men in the barred compartment calling out for water, as Violette turns to look at them the first shot showing the men has one man on our right waving an empty mug. That's Caine

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vaggmk1938's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    Have another look

When Violette & Denise are about to escape from the train and they hear the men in the barred compartment calling out for water, as Violette turns to look at them the first shot showing the men has one man on our right waving an empty mug. That's Caine. Steve

Here it is, in all its murkiness:

Apart from the visual—the audio definitely can be identified as Caine—one of the men repeatedly calling for water.

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Carve Her Name With Pride

BBC2 Saturday 7th August, 2010 … 2.35-4.30pm

The life that I have

Is all that I have,

And the life that I have

Is yours.

The love that I have

Of the life that I have

Is yours and yours and yours.

A sleep I shall have,

A rest I shall have

Yet death will be but a pause.

For the peace of my years

In the long green grass

Will be yours and yours and yours

Virginia McKenna as Violette Szabo with the real Violette top left.

One of my all-time favourite films … so thrilling, so poignant, so tragic … yet a magnificent tribute to a beautiful, brave young woman and the extraordinary courage of her human spirit …

‘To strive, to seek and not to yield …’ Alfred Lord Tennyson … quoted by Captain Scott in 1912 …

could have been written especially for Violette …

Emma

Made by the same team responsible for Reach for the Sky (director Lewis Gilbert and co-writer Vernon Harris) this another well-crafted portrait inspired by extraordinary heroism in the Second World War. Virginia McKenna gives an understated performance as Violette Szabo, a young woman who after her French Officer husband was killed, became a British spy on the continent.

Radio Times review

Violette is interrogated and tortured by the Gestapo …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kNOEDdy5FY

The Life and Death of the real Violette Szabo …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbiZyfrILoU

It is an absolutely extraordinary co-incidence that two of Britain’s greatest heroes of the Second World War shared the same surname … Violette Bushell … and Roger Bushell … ‘Big X’ the leader and organiser of the Great Escape played by Richard Attenborough (Roger Bartlett) in The Great Escape film.

Violette died on 5th February 1945 aged 23 … Roger died on 29th March, 1944 aged 33 … both were murdered by the Gestapo … both were shot in the back of the neck … it is virtually certain that neither ever knew of each other’s existence and they were probably unrelated … yet both left a remarkable legacy synonymous with true heroism … a legacy of astonishing courageousness, drive, steadfastness, bravery and valour …

Violette (Bushell) Szabo (codename Louise) was first parachuted into France in April 1944, and undertook a particularly dangerous and sensitive research mission with passion, intelligence and courage. She was twice arrested by the SS, but managed to escape on each occasion.

Leaving from RAF Tempsford on 7th June, 1944 (D-Day plus 1) …Violette was flown back to Limoges, France for a second, even more hazardous mission. Immediately upon arrival, she coordinated the activities of the local Maquis (led by Jacques Dufour) in sabotaging communication lines during German attempts to stem the Normandy landings.

She was a passenger in a car that raised the suspicions of German troops at an unexpected road-block that had been set up to find Sturmbannführer Helmut Kämpfe of the Das Reich Division, who had been captured by the local resistance. Her Maquis minders escaped unscathed in the confusion.

Completely surrounded and totally outnumbered … Violette Sten seized her Sten gun and as much ammunition as she could carry, barricaded herself in part of the house, and, fully exploiting her brilliant sharp-shooting abilities exchanged shot-for-shot with the Germans … and killed or wounded several. Upon escaping from the house … such was her superb athleticism … by constant and furious zig-zag sprinting through woodland countryside she avoided being cornered and fought until she dropped, utterly exhausted … but she still continued the ferocious machine-gun fire-fight.

Violette was finally captured when she ran out of ammunition, around mid-day on 10 June, 1944, near Salon-la-Tour. Her captors were most likely from the 1st Battalion of the Deutschland Regiment. In R J Minney's biography and book Carve Her Name With Pride (upon which the Lewis Gilbert feature film is based) she is described as putting up incredibly fierce resistance with her Sten gun.

She was transferred to the custody of the SD in Limoges near Paris, and then transferred to the notorious 84 Avenue Foch, Gestapo Headquarters in Paris, where she was interrogated and tortured, enduring sexual assault, rape and severe beatings. Having endured continuous and horrific tortures, she never by word or deed gave away any of her acquaintances, or told the enemy anything of value. Violette gave a magnificent display of courageous heroism.

From there, she was moved, first to Fresnes Prison Paris, then in August 1944 to Ravensbrück Concentration Camp, where over 92,000 women died. Two other women members of the SOE - Denise Bloch and Lilian Rolfe were also with Violette at Ravensbrück Concentraion Camp and Konigsburg Labour Camp.

Violette, Denise (Bloch) and Lilian (Rolfe) went through further interrogations and tortures, and endured dreadful hard labour and malnutrition. Violette was shot last and had the final agony of having to watch her friends murdered in front of her.

Violette Szabo was executed, murdered by the Gestapo …

SS Corporal Schenk (in charge of the crematorium) forced Violette to kneel, held her … as SS Schar-Fuhrer (Sergeant) Schulte shot her in the back of the neck with a small calibre gun … on approximately 5th February 1945 and her body disposed of in the crematorium. She was just 23 years old.

French section agent, Odette Hallowes, was also in the camp with them and gave details to the authorities at the close of the war, said that … ‘Violette was the bravest of us all.’

Camp Commandant SS SturmbannFuhrer Fritz Suhren read the death sentences ordered by RSHA in Berlin, with Second in Command Schwartzhuber also present. SS Sergeant Zappe guarded the girls whilst this was done.

SS ScharFuhrer (Sergeant) Schulte (or Schulter) - a block leader from the mens' camp - then shot each girl in the back of the neck as they knelt down with a small calibre gun, as SS Corporal Schenk (in charge of the crematorium) brought them forward and held them.

Camp doctor SS SturmbannFuhrer Trommer certified the deaths and the clothed bodies were removed singly by internees and immediately cremated.

Young, Brave and Beautiful … Violette (Bushell) Szabo … 26th June 1921 – 5th February 1945

Violette was just 23.

Adapted/edited from sources:

64-baker-street.org - The Women of the Special Operations Executive - The FANY Agents/VioletteSzabo.org/

BBC History/Carve Her Name With Pride - RJ Minney/Wikipedia/YouTube/Mrs Emma Peel

Liked
    418 times
    As the title card of the film says, adapted from the book by RJ Minney.

I always feel that the most poignant part of that book is how, after describing how the young Violette enjoyed playing with her brothers, that chapter finishes with the stark words.

More than half of her life was already over

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    A marvellous film and a very moving story.

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    I have so much respect for this woman and these people who unselfishly put their lives on the line for our futures.

Nowadays people treat footballers as being gods - but these are the real heroes (though it would embarrass them to be thought of as such)

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    I thoroughly recommend the wonderful book by Violette's daughter Tania abour her mother's life. It's called Young, Brave and Beautiful. It is more detailed and more personal than R J Minney's original book. It's a whopper of a book but within pages I guarantee you'll be hooked. Don't be put off by the price, I realise it's not cheap, but it's worth every penny.

The only down side is, it has put me off the film somewhat. I love Virgina McKenna and she was great in the film, but nothing like Violette at all, neither in looks or personalilty.

The book is available from Tania's website here Website

Paul