I am researching George Josiah Banfield, born at De Beaviour Town, in Hackney on 7 December 1888 and died in Nice, France on 10 June 1963.

I have reference that he entered the film industry in 1908, but cannot find any mention of him until 1925 when he is producing films for Cosmopolitan Productions.

He is also supposed to have produced shorts such as the Haunted Houses series during 1925 (again I have no information).

In 1926 he forms British Filmcraft Ltd with cameramen Leslie Eveleigh, Bert Ford and Phil Ross which is based at the former Broadwest Studios in Walthamstow.

He also writes and produces a series of 'historical' films for Gainsborough Pictures and Cosmopolitan Productions, all distributed by Cricks & Martin Films:

Ashridge Castle: The Monmouth Rebellion

Directed by Charles Calvert for Gainsborough Pictures. It starred Betty Faire.

Baddesley Manor: The Phantom Gambler

Directed by Maurice Elvey for Cosmopolitan Productions. It starred John Stuart, Hugh Miller and Fred Raynham.

Bodiam Castle and Eric the Slender

Directed by A.V. Bramble for Gainsborough Pictures. It starred Madge Stuart and Gladys Jennings.

Glamis Castle

Directed by Maurice Elvey for Gainsborough Pictures. It starred Isobel Elsom.

Guy of Warwick

Directed by Fred Paul for Cosmopolitan Productions. It starred Godfrey Tearle.

Hampton Court Palace

Directed by Bert Cann for Cosmopolitan Productions. It starred Gabrielle Morton as Katherine Howard, Eric Cowley as Sir Thomas Culpepper, Shep Camp

as Henry VIII and Adeline Hayden Coffin as Mary Lassells.

Kenilworth Castle and Amy Robsart

Directed by Maurice Elvey for Cosmopolitan Productions. It starred Gladys Jennings, John Stuart, Madge Stuart and Dick Webb.

The Legend of Tichborne Dole

Directed by Hugh Croise for Cosmopolitan Productions. It starred Adeline Hayden Coffin, James Knight, Gabrielle Morton and Dorinea Shirley.

The Mistletoe Bough

Directed by Charles Calvert for Cosmopolitan Productions. It starred Gladys Jennings.

The Tower of London

Directed by Maurice Elvey for Cosmopolitan Productions. It starred Isobel Elsom.

Windsor Castle

Directed by Maurice Elvey for Cosmopolitan Productions. It starred Isabel Jeans.

Woodcroft Castle

Directed by Walter West for Cosmopolitan Productions. It starred Isabel Jeans.

Banfield seems to have been involved in the ‘quota quickies’ and works with George William Pearson.

In 1928he directs Ghosts of Yesterday - A series of six shorts and I have reference to "Captain George Banfield, of British Filmcraft Ltd.,

sets to work in May on a number of two-reelers with Langhorne Burton in the role of Sexton Blake".

In May 1929 he directs The Burgomaster of Stilemonde and a four part series entitled ‘The Adventures of Dick Turpin’.

I would appreciate any information on him, his early film career and war service, also on his fellow directors - Leslie Eveleigh, Bert Ford and Phil Ross

at British Filmcraft Ltd.