Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I created a thread called 'Miscellaneous Sets' a few weeks ago and would like to do something similar for locations that have featured in various shows. One that hasn't received a mention in this section of the forum is Special Branch. During the episode A Date with Leonidas (1969), a street sign for Camden High Street is shown, followed by equally brief shots of, among other things, Camden Town Library and stalls at the famous Market. Further evidence that it's London NW1 is provided by another street sign (Bayham Street) and Mornington Crescent tube station.

I'm not as clever as the location experts who've contributed information to IMDb, the Avengerland website and some of the production guides found in DVD booklets, and will probably ask for help with some of the other places shown in this episode at 'Mystery Locations'. But I did feel a sense of pride in tracking down the 'main attraction'. Towards the end of A Date with Leonidas, the title character (Damien Thomas) gets married to Katina (Tamara Hinchco) at this Greek church:

A Google image search for Greek churches in Camden led to my identifying the building as All Saints' Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Pratt Street:
    The only change I can see is that the railings look much classier. Otherwise it looks the same as it did 40 years ago.

I hope to find and identify many more locations and look foward to other examples from shows that have so far gone unacknowledged here.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Nice work, Cornershop

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks very much, mariocki. Nice to see you again.

Re: All Saints' Greek Orthodox Cathedral in 'Special Branch: A Date with Leonidas (1969)

At least I got ONE reply. Another view of the church with Jennifer Wilson alone on the steps after the wedding party have departed for the reception:

She's too far in the distance for you to see her properly there. A closer view of dear Jennifer, who played Detective Sergeant Webb in the series:

The episode of Special Branch I watched last night would be of even greater interest to 'Location Lovers' with shots of Thames Embankment, Parliament Hill and Madame Tussaud's among the sights. Det. Con. Morrissey (Keith Washington) was 'Rhodesian' tourist Mel Martin's guide.

Liked
    32 times
    Thanks CS, I couldn't recognise any of your other miscellaneous locations in the other thread I'm afraid but feel free to keep posting them up as someone might recognise them. I've never been gripped by Special Branch but I did manage to identify some locations in the Camden/St John's Wood area from an episode I watched last year.

Liked
    177 times
    I'm intrigued now, mariocki. Which episode was that?

Fraudster Colin Gordon's mansion in the enjoyable Man of the World episode
    Portrait of a Girl (1962) is actually Osterley Park House, Isleworth, Middlesex:

A more recent colour picture, as seen on it's Wikipedia page:

I recognise this beautiful house from the film The Grass Is Greener (accompanied by Noel Coward's song The Stately Homes
    of England
    during the opening credits I recall) but didn't realise it was the same place until I saw IMDb's page for the location:

IMDb: Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "Osterley Park House, Isleworth, Middlesex, England, UK"

I'm sure Gerald will know it from the Sherlock Holmes film A Study in Terror (which I barely remember) but I'm surprised nothing comes to mind for it's inclusion in Billion Dollar Brain, the third film where Michael Caine played Harry Palmer. Could it be the scene where Vladek Sheybal is looking at eggs through a microscope, and extracting something from them with a syringe? Wasn't that at a country house? I think two elderly Russian women sitting on a bench are seen laughing for no apparent reason. I've watched this film a few times but can't quite picture the mansion being shown.

Osterley Park House probably deserves a thread of it's own and is still a popular film location now, with a few more appearances in the last decade, most recently The Young Victoria (played by Emily Blunt). From the Enjoy England website:

Osterley Park in south west London is a magnificent neo-classical house with fine Adam interiors, landscape park and 18th-century gardens. It is used for Buckingham Palace scenes including Victoria’s sitting room and ante room.

Last edited by cornershop15; 03-12-10 at 02:37 AM.

Liked
    177 times
    Was it this part of Osterley Park where that sequence in Billion Dollar Brain was filmed?:

I seem to remember those two old ladies were sitting beside some plants (inside).

I must see this film again, preferably on DVD, but have been put off buying the version that's on Amazon as one of the Customer
    Reviews stated that a scene where A Hard Day's Night was playing had been removed, or dubbed. Very disappointing.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 03-12-10 at 06:40 AM.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Osterley Park House indeed features prominently in the first Sherlock Holmes v. Jack the Ripper outing, A Study in Terror (1965). It's the family seat of the Duke of Shires played by Barry Jones and on his first visit there, Holmes (John Neville) gets a vital clue when he encounters young Lord Carfax played by John Fraser. The clue is completely missed by Watson, as he's played in a rather Nigel Bruce-ish manner by Donald Houston.

I think interiors were used as well as the exterior and later I'll see if I can get some screencaps of that.
    Last edited by Gerald Lovell; 03-12-10 at 02:32 PM.

Liked
    32 times
    It also appeared in The Saint - The Angel's Eye as well as a couple of episodes of The Persuaders!

Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    [CENTER]I'm intrigued now, mariocki. Which episode was that?
    Too long ago to remember the title now Cornershop I'm afraid but I'll have a look later if I get time.

Liked
    182 times
    A Study in Terror:

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson arrive at the Duke of Shire's country pad.

A study in the Study.

Holmes and Watson heading for an encounter with the Duke's younger son, Lord Carfax.

A good view of the entrance hall when Holmes and Watson return late in the film.

The sound quality for all these scenes indicate they were all shot on location, as opposed to Shepperton.

Liked
    177 times
    Re: Osterley Park House in 'A Study in Terror'

Fantastic work, Gerald Thank you very much. I wish I had a study like that. Think of the space!

This film is definitely worth another viewing. It was on ITV about 25 years ago, possibly a Friday night. If that were to happen now it would probably be 'signed' (for deaf viewers) and shifted to the 'graveyard slot', somewhere between 2 and 4 in the morning. Far better to buy DVDs nowadays, and I won't mind adding this to my collection. To return the favour, I enclose this link to some brilliant stills and posters, which I hope will be new to you:

A Study in Terror at MovieGoods

Thanks also to mariocki for his reply.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 03-12-10 at 08:13 PM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mikey's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Been here some years ago (though not on the inside) and it is impressive...

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    I'm intrigued now, mariocki. Which episode was that?

Fraudster Colin Gordon's mansion in the enjoyable Man of the World episode
    Portrait of a Girl (1962) is actually Osterley Park House, Isleworth, Middlesex:

A more recent colour picture, as seen on it's Wikipedia page:

I recognise this beautiful house from the film The Grass Is Greener (accompanied by Noel Coward's song The Stately Homes
    of England
    during the opening credits I recall) but didn't realise it was the same place until I saw IMDb's page for the location:

IMDb: Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "Osterley Park House, Isleworth, Middlesex, England, UK"

I'm sure Gerald will know it from the Sherlock Holmes film A Study in Terror (which I barely remember) but I'm surprised nothing comes to mind for it's inclusion in Billion Dollar Brain, the third film where Michael Caine played Harry Palmer. Could it be the scene where Vladek Sheybal is looking at eggs through a microscope, and extracting something from them with a syringe? Wasn't that at a country house? I think two elderly Russian women sitting on a bench are seen laughing for no apparent reason. I've watched this film a few times but can't quite picture the mansion being shown.

Osterley Park House probably deserves a thread of it's own and is still a popular film location now, with a few more appearances in the last decade, most recently The Young Victoria (played by Emily Blunt). From the Enjoy England website:

Osterley Park in south west London is a magnificent neo-classical house with fine Adam interiors, landscape park and 18th-century gardens. It is used for Buckingham Palace scenes including Victoria’s sitting room and ante room.

This is a brilliant thread Cornershop. I recognize this location from an episode of The Saint called The Angel's Eye and a couple of episodes of The Persuaders! entitled The Morning After and Read And Destroy.

wec

Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mariocki View Post
    It also appeared in The Saint - The Angel's Eye as well as a couple of episodes of The Persuaders!

Too long ago to remember the title now Cornershop I'm afraid but I'll have a look later if I get time.
    Whoops! Sorry mariocki. I've just duplicated that information. I should have read your post first.

wec

Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    A Study in Terror:

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson arrive at the Duke of Shire's country pad.

A study in the Study.

Holmes and Watson heading for an encounter with the Duke's younger son, Lord Carfax.

A good view of the entrance hall when Holmes and Watson return late in the film.

The sound quality for all these scenes indicate they were all shot on location, as opposed to Shepperton.
    Fantastic screencaps Gerald. I didn't realize they had used this location for interior footage in A Study In Terror.

This film must have been repeated in my region only a few years ago. I recorded onto DVD from TV. An excellent film with a great cast.

wec

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wellendcanons View Post
    Fantastic screencaps Gerald. I didn't realize they had used this location for interior footage in A Study In Terror.

This film must have been repeated in my region only a few years ago. I recorded onto DVD from TV. An excellent film with a great cast.

wec
    Thanks, wec. It is a most enjoyable film.

I was going to call my post "The Stately Holmes of England" in deference to cornershop's reference to the Noel Coward song, but thought that was going too far!

Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    i would really like to know which part of the north the drama serial of a few years back "Born and Bred" was filmed in - there is a re-run on ITV2 at the moment... a gentle 1950's reminder of life in a different age

Anyone know please ?

Senior Member Country: UK flynn's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    it was filmed at Downham near Clitheroe, Lancashire
    here is a link with a couple of photos of places used in the series.
    Film Locations - TV Locations

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    Lovely place, I took some photos last time we went

Flickr: Search mrrobertwade (wadey)'s photostream

Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    thank you guys

Liked
    182 times
    A favourite location, Edgwarebury Hotel, plays the title role in "The House on Haunted Hill" from RANDALL AND HOPKIRK DECEASED:

It seems the interior was much used for this episode too, and those of you that have been in it may recognise the interesting fresco over the fireplace behind Dermot Kelly and Peter Jones:

There are some interesting carvings on the wood panels in the hallway. Sadly, I have only seen the building from the outside and never gone in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast