Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Its a sad fact that tough guy actor Michael Coles who died about 5 years ago and starred in lots of tv roles inc the Saint, the Baron, Randall & Hopkirk, has no biography on the net. I was fortunate to be able to put an old army pal in touch with Michael, a keen Chelsea supporter, only 6 months before he died 25/4/05

He was born Ernest Michael Coles 12 August 1936.

A plea in my local paper requested, can anyone help find Michael C? I took up the challenge & succeeded. Both were pleased to have made contact but Michael was house bound with arthritis.

He was married to Maryon Kantaroff, world famous sculptress but divorced in 1966.

Can anybody, especially in film production help with his biog?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Hello, good evening and welcome, ritchie (I see you've just joined). I'm so sorry to learn of Michael's ill health and know myself what it's like to be housebound with restricted movement. I wish you very good luck with your blog as I too am keen on raising the profile of forgotten and unappreciated actors. I'm mostly familiar with Michael's guest appearances in various ITC shows, including Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased).

This is him as Larry Wentworth in the episode For the Girl Who Has Everything (1969):

R.I.P., Michael Coles

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15

Hello, good evening and welcome, ritchie (I see you've just joined). I'm so sorry to learn of Michael's ill health and know myself what it's like to be housebound with restricted movement. I wish you very good luck with your blog as I too am keen on raising the profile of forgotten and unappreciated actors. I'm mostly familiar with Michael's guest appearances in various ITC shows, including Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased).

This is him as Larry Wentworth in the episode For the Girl Who Has Everything (1969):

R.I.P., Michael Coles
    Michael was excellent in The Sweeney film and the last two Dracula Hammer films. Great screencap cornershop. Well done ritchie for starting this thread.

wec

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    I got to work with Michael a few times and remember him and Mike Pratt and me having a drink (or three) in the Elstree bar after work on R&H...

He had a brother ?? in the biz that worked on the production side of the biz...

Aitch,

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harryfielder

I got to work with Michael a few times and remember him and Mike Pratt and me having a drink (or three) in the Elstree bar after work on R&H...

Aitch,
    Great start, any idea of his brother's name?

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harryfielder

Aitch,

Aitch, am I right in thinking Mike Pratt was a Chelsea supporter, as well as Michael Coles?

wec

Liked
    0 times
    Here is the photograph that Michael used for his last Spotlight entry in 2005.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchie

Great start, any idea of his brother's name?
    I'm thinking...Terry Coles....Production Manager BBC..

Aitch,

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    It's been a while since Michael Coles's thread has been updated.

He made 3 Edgar Wallace Mystery Films (Man Detained, Solo for Sparrow and Never Mention Murder). My favourite one being Man Detained.

I would like to share the following 3 lobby cards from the 1962 Edgar Wallace mystery film Solo For Sparrow which aside from Michael Coles also starred Glyn Houston, Nadja Regin, Anthony Newlands and a very young Michael Caine with Irish accent.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    I found this entry on Michael Coles's IMDb page in the 'Discussion' section at the bottom by member 'sockworkmatt':

This Eulogy was on the thread of a discussion board of AV Forums.com and was written by "Jodean" I'm a huge fan of 1960's and 70's British TV/Movies. I wanted more information on him as he was in a couple of the 1970's Hammer Draculas with Chrisopher Lee and episodes of the Avengers,the Saint and the Protectors. Thanks Jodean, whereever you are:

Michael Coles. Died April 27th 2005

"Michael - contrary to previous rumours - really did die, this Wednesday, at his home of 45 years, in Drayton Gardens, Chelsea. He was 70.
    His career as a TV actor in the 6Os and 70s included roles in the Professionals, Sweeney, the Movie, Randall & Hopkirk...his theatrical triumphs included Maggie May and the Laurence Plays at the Royal Court...before that he was boy sailor of HMS Ganges. There is too much to say about Michael. He was a a man who lead life to the full. He stopped acting for over 20 years and 'took his theatre to the street' - a well known character on the Fulham Road - and the Kings Road.
    In the mid 90s, he revived his acting career - appearing with Leslie Grantham in 99-1. Pie in the Sky with Richard Griffiths and Warren Clarke in Dalziel & Pascoe. The casting directors - particularly Doreen Jones and Marilyn Johnson - seemed pleased to have him back. They were all great roles. He loved it - but a heart condition brought it to an end.
    But he saw the Producers with Lee Evans on the Friday before he died, and thought it was wonderful. He spent a good deal of the rest of the night in Gerrys Club. He lived and died well, without compromise.
    Much missed. God bless."