Thread: Young Messiah

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Wonderful BBC production from Christmas 1982, starring Vicki Brown, Labi Siffre and Madeline Bell. Not forgetting the New London Chorale and arranger Tom Parker. There's a very nice four-parter of it on youtube (albeit with the last two minutes missing) but I would love to be able to watch this on TV again via DVD or video. I don't believe it's ever been repeated by the BBC, possibly because there was some controversy when it was first screened.

Senior Member Country: UK Onedin's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    name='Geoffers' timestamp='1282218233' post='466034']

Wonderful BBC production from Christmas 1982, starring Vicki Brown, Labi Siffre and Madeline Bell. Not forgetting the New London Chorale and arranger Tom Parker. There's a very nice four-parter of it on youtube (albeit with the last two minutes missing) but I would love to be able to watch this on TV again via DVD or video. I don't believe it's ever been repeated by the BBC, possibly because there was some controversy when it was first screened.
    What a delightful surprise for me to see this thread!

I was a great fan over here in Holland of the New London Chorale, and knew Vicki Brown personally. Eventually even wrote with her father, Mr. George Haseman in Tuebrook, Liverpool for a few years........we were all devastated when she died................it's good to see that her husband, singer Joe Brown, found new happiness again and remarried.

What controversy do you mean, Geoffers?

Liked
    5 times
    name='Onedin' timestamp='1282218796' post='466037']

What a delightful surprise for me to see this thread!

I was a great fan over here in Holland of the New London Chorale, and knew Vicki Brown personally. Eventually even wrote with her father, Mr. George Haseman in Tuebrook, Liverpool for a few years........we were all devastated when she died................it's good to see that her husband, singer Joe Brown, found new happiness again and remarried.

What controversy do you mean, Geoffers?

At the time of the original broadcast on the BBC some people really tore into it as a desecration of sacred classical music. I don't know if the BBC got many complaints but I remember one radio phone-in in particular when one chap was almost incandescent with rage.

I didn't find it all disrespectful - it was just a new and interesting take on a very famous piece of music. Just watching it on youtube lifts my spirits considerably!

Liked
    57 times
    name='Geoffers' timestamp='1282220132' post='466042']

At the time of the original broadcast on the BBC some people really tore into it as a desecration of sacred classical music. I don't know if the BBC got many complaints but I remember one radio phone-in in particular when one chap was almost incandescent with rage.

I didn't find it all disrespectful - it was just a new and interesting take on a very famous piece of music. Just watching it on youtube lifts my spirits considerably!
    I was only 17 at the time when I heard it for the first time and went to quite a few concerts. It introduced me to classical music and I have fond memories of meeting the Chorale with lots of others.

The New London Chorale have been specifically popular in Holland and are still going strong. Tom Parker married their Belgian background singer Annemie Vanmeenen, who is now one of the main singers, and it's good to see that Scotsman Gordon Neville is still part of the group.

They were a real hype over here, but the hype sort of disappeared with the death of Vicki. They are still very popular though.

In the south of Holland there is a Vicki Brown House where people who are dying can spend their last moments with their loved ones.

Have you ever listened to 'The Young Amadeus', 'The Young Matthew Passion' or 'The Young Verdi' for instance?

Liked
    5 times
    name='Onedin' timestamp='1282221101' post='466046']

I was only 17 at the time when I heard it for the first time and went to quite a few concerts. It introduced me to classical music and I have fond memories of meeting the Chorale with lots of others.

The New London Chorale have been specifically popular in Holland and are still going strong. Tom Parker married their Belgian background singer Annemie Vanmeenen, who is now one of the main singers, and it's good to see that Scotsman Gordon Neville is still part of the group.

They were a real hype over here, but the hype sort of disappeared with the death of Vicki. They are still very popular though.

In the south of Holland there is a Vicki Brown House where people who are dying can spend their last moments with their loved ones.

Have you ever listened to 'The Young Amadeus', 'The Young Matthew Passion' or 'The Young Verdi' for instance?

I've got the Young Amadeus Mozart - also excellent.

I did not realise how popular they were/are in Holland. However, there is a nice interview with Madeline Bell in which she refers to this: http://www.spencerleigh.demon.co.uk/Interview_Bell.htm

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I've never heard of the Young Messiah but have bookmarked it on YouTube to take a look later. Does anyone remember the stage production Carnival Messiah (around 1999?). That was a superb modern take on the Messiah which ended with a steel drum performance of the Hallelujah Chorus. Brilliant!

Liked
    57 times
    name='Geoffers' timestamp='1282222839' post='466054']

I've got the Young Amadeus Mozart - also excellent.

I did not realise how popular they were/are in Holland. However, there is a nice interview with Madeline Bell in which she refers to this: http://www.spencerle...erview_Bell.htm
    That was a nice interview, Geoffers.......

Vicki and Madeline always had me in stitches.......they were hilarious together.