Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I was clearing out my videos and came across this film. I had forgotten how much I loved it as a child and watching it again I was once again enthralled. I love christopher lambert's portrayal of tarzan and the scene where he is reunited with his ape father is very touching. The only sour point for me is the portrayal of Jane which wasn't helped by the dubbing of andie macdowell's voice. A great underated film!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Hi,

It would have been interesting to have heard Andi's voice. Although based on the novel TARZAN OF THE APES by Edgar Rice Burroughs, it is not completely the same. The first Tarzan film, a silent, is also based on the novel.

Some years after the Christopher Lambert film was made, the Walt Disney studio made a full length cartoon of the novel, which also has some differences.

There have also been a number of re-vamps concerning Tarzan's origins and how he met Jane. The most famous are the three films made of TARZAN THE APE MAN. Johnny Weissmuller's being one of them. These are not based on the novel but scripts revamping the character in a story written specially for the cinema. The dialogue for the Johnny Weissmuller version, was written by British composer, believe it or not, Ivor Novello.

As far as Greystoke is concerned, I do know that some genuine foliage was transported specially to the film studio to give the film authenticity.

On another thread, a few months ago, I gave some details relating to the first ever Tarzan film based on the novel. The thread was 3 British Tarzan Films. Should still be on this website.

By the way, the story which Greystoke is loosely based, was first published in THE ALL STORY MAGAZINE in Octber 1912. 2012 therfore, commemorates 100 years of Tarzan. I wonder if he has a bus pass?

Alan French.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I agree. This film was under-rated. Andie McDowell's dubbed voice fit her better than her real voice (which is very odd). I never again thought she was as good looking or as talented as she was in that.

And the great Ralph Richardson gave one of his final film performances. I don't know if it was the final one.

Liked
    137 times
    Easily one of my favourite British films and as Tim says a great final performance from Sir Ralph

Liked
    4 times
    Andie McDowell was dubbed by Glenn Close and there's a very subtle in-joke in Four Weddings and a Funeral when Hugh Grant, feeling a bit emotionally trapped, asks McDowell if she's really Glenn Close's character in Fatal Attraction. Of course, that may well have been entirely unintentional or accidental, though I doubt it.

I've always loved Greystoke, especially the longer version on the DVD, and find it always powerful and heartbreaking in certain scenes. Heartbreaking, too, for Hugh Hudson who had terrible problems making the film (and, to be fair, people had terrible problems with him) and his career went straight down the toilet. Chariots is always regarded as Puttnam's picture, so Hugh is chiefly remembered for a British Airways ad and for Kinnock: The Movie.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I think there were some script disputes on this one, "P. H. Vazak" never having written anything before or since . . .

Liked
    4 times
    name='Gerald Lovell' timestamp='1285669047' post='478204']

I think there were some script disputes on this one, "P. H. Vazak" never having written anything before or since . . .

PH Vazak was the name of Robert Towne's dog. For Towne, then probably the best screenwriter in Hollywood, the Tarzan story was a lifelong passion and he was intending to write, produce and direct the film. But he lost control of the project when Puttnam and Hudson arrived, then Puttnam jumped ship.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Andie McDowell was dubbed by Glenn Close and there's a very subtle in-joke in Four Weddings and a Funeral when Hugh Grant, feeling a bit emotionally trapped, asks McDowell if she's really Glenn Close's character in Fatal Attraction. Of course, that may well have been entirely unintentional or accidental, though I doubt it.

I've always loved Greystoke, especially the longer version on the DVD, and find it always powerful and heartbreaking in certain scenes. Heartbreaking, too, for Hugh Hudson who had terrible problems making the film (and, to be fair, people had terrible problems with him) and his career went straight down the toilet. Chariots is always regarded as Puttnam's picture, so Hugh is chiefly remembered for a British Airways ad and for Kinnock: The Movie.
    I thought "Greystoke" was a good film, it did well as far as I remember, did he have problems making it? I thought his reputation and bankability were good after "Greystoke", I thought Hugh Hudson's next film finished his career as an "A" list film director, "Revolution" with Al Pacino. Now that was problematic on all levels and the film is a bit of a mess in its present form, Hudson reunited with Pacino in 2009 to record a voiceover narrative to try and make sense of it all for a DVD release...(directors cut?) I find it hard to imagine how you could salvage anything from that film, I think its awful but thats another topic I suppose.