Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    The Times

by Ben Hoyle,

Arts Correspondent:

Story of the King who was lost for words is an Oscar favourite

When a screenwriter asked the Queen Mother if he could write about her husband's speech problems, she replied: "Yes, but not in my lifetime. The memories of those events are still too painful."

Twenty nine years after that exchange and eight after the Queen Mother's death, the script that David Seidler eventually wrote has become THE KING'S SPEECH, a British film that is arguably the front-runner for the Best Picture Oscar next February.

Directed by Tom Hooper, who made THE DAMNED UNITED, about the football manager Brian Clough, it stars Colin Firth as George VI, Geoffrey Rush as his speech therapist Lionel Logue and Helena Bonham Carter as the future Queen Mother.

Hooper told The Times yesterday that he had finished the film on Tuesday last week, flown to the United States the following day and screened the completed cut for the first time on Saturday at the Telluride Film Festival in the Rocky Mountains, the festival that kickstarted the Oscar bandwagon for SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE two years ago.

Like Danny Boyle's serial award-winner, THE KING'S SPEECH received a standing ovation. Steve Pond, the awards expert at the Hollywood news service The Wrap, has installed it as favourite for the Best Picture Oscar in 2011. Last year, he correctly picked THE HURT LOCKER as the film to beat.

The film tells the story of Prince Albert, who is thrust reluctantly into the spotlight when his elder brother's love for the American divorcee Wallis Simpson precipitates the abdication crisis. As King, his private battle with his stammer becomes an agonising public struggle, particularly once the Second World War breaks out and his live radio broadcasts attract an audience of millions across the Empire.

The script is based on a "treasure trove" of unpublished medical notes, and one of the best-received exchanges in the film was a direct lift from Logue's papers. After one broadcast, the speech therapist says to his much-improved patient: "You still stammered on the 'W'." The King replies: "I had to throw in a few so they knew it was me."

British audiences will have a chance to see THE KING'S SPEECH when it is shown at the 54th London Film Festival, from October 13 to 28. The festival includes the winners of the top two prizes at Cannes, UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES and OF GODS AND MEN, as well as the two most acclaimed competition films from the Venice Film Festival so far BLACK SWAN and MEEK'S CUTOFF.

The home-grown line up includes the opening-night gala film, NEVER LET ME KNOW, based on the novel by Kazuo Ishiguro and starring Keira Knightley and Carey Mulligan, and the closing film, 127 HOURS, Boyle's first since SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE.

There are new works from Mike Leigh and Ken Loach, from Joanna Hogg, Justin Chadwick and Peter Mullan, directorial debuts from THE IT CROWD actor Richard Ayoade and the Turner Prize-winning artist Gillian Wearing as well as WEST IS WEST, sequel to Ayub Khan-Din's comedy of Asian life EAST IS EAST, and documentaries about Lord Mandelson and Lemmy, from the rock band Motorhead.

Nearly all of them were made with backing from the UK Film Council, the quango that the Government plans to abolish.

Hooper said its support was "vital" to THE KING'S SPEECH. "I don't know how we would have done it without them."

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Sounds good, I'm looking forward to this film. Shame it won't be in our cinemas until next year.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I saw this last night and thought it excellent.

Liked
    137 times
    Yes it got an excellent review in today's Times.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='CaptainWaggett' timestamp='1287736520' post='485039']

Glad you enjoyed it Cap'n, was Queen Mary portayed in this film?........no mention of her on the IMDB castlist.

Liked
    0 times
    strange that a film gets allthe publicity from appearing at the LFF and is not then due out for another 3months?

Liked
    492 times
    name='Mark O' timestamp='1287739673' post='485050']

Glad you enjoyed it Cap'n, was Queen Mary portayed in this film?........no mention of her on the IMDB castlist.

Only in a couple of scenes - she's played by Claire Bloom

Liked
    202 times
    name='CaptainWaggett' timestamp='1287740503' post='485054']

Only in a couple of scenes - she's played by Claire Bloom

Thank you Captain, I guess a couple of scenes of my favourite historic royal is better than no scenes at all, it seems a little odd her role is completely uncredited on her's and the film's IMDB pages what with Claire being such a well known actress.

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Evelyn Laye's key role overlooked....

Sunday Telegraph

Roya Nikkhah,

Arts Correspondent: Missing link in King's battle to overcome his stammer

It is the story of how a timid king found his voice, with the help of a speech therapist.

THE KING'S SPEECH, a film starring Colin Firth as the stammering King George VI, discloses how Lionel Logue, an Australian therapist, saved him from a lifetime of embarrassing pauses. But a new book of the same name, based on Logue's diaries and co-written by his grandson, Mark Logue, suggests that one character is missing.

The book tells how Evelyn 'Boo' Laye, an actress and singer, played a crucial role in helping the King. Laye became his favourite actress after he watched her, aged 19, in a 1920 West End production of THE SHOP GIRL.

As Duke and Duchess of York, the future king and his wife developed a friendship with Laye and attended her plays. In 1925, Laye visited Logue in Harley Street after she developed problems with her voice, and forced her to miss performances. He recommended deep breathing exercises and she recovered.

The following year, the Duchess, later Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, confided in Laye that 'Bertie', as she called the Duke, was "extremely apprehensive" about touring Australia and New Zealand because of the speeches he would have to make.

Previous speeches had proved an ordeal because of his hesitations. Laye suggested the couple meet Logue and telephoned Patrick Hodgson, the Duke's private secretary, to make an appointment.

The book, published next month, will reveal how Laye gave the Duke singing lessons to improve his fluency. Michael Thornton, a royal biographer and friend of Laye's, who died in 1996, said:

"Boo was incredibly discreet until her dying day about her friendship with the King and Queen Mother, and never spoke publicly about the role she played in curing his speech problems. But she told me in a series of meetings we had about her hand in the matter, and of how she used to sing with the King.

"It was also confirmed to me by Sir Martin Gilliat, the private secretary to the Queen Mother, who told me that she had confirmed it was Boo who arranged the introduction of Mr. Logue to the Duke and Duchess."

Liked
    492 times
    Perhaps if Evelyn Laye had been a bit less secretive, she might have been included in the film

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times

Liked
    202 times
    name='Brief Encounter' timestamp='1288116793' post='486400']

Also see here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-marriage.html

An interesting article there BE, it was all arranged marriages for the 'high-ups' back then, It's highly unlikely Evelyn would have been 'suitable' to marry a Prince, all his siblings bar one had their marriages arranged for them, I note Phyllis Monkman is mentioned, she was the 'knife' lady in Hitchcock's Blackmail, she's credited as 'Gossip', the recently erected friezes in the Mall of the late King and Queen are lovely, showing stages of her long life.

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    The Son of a friend, who works in the Film business in LA and is usually hyper critical of most films, thought that this is the best film he has seen in 5 years!! Oscars await.

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton Park View Post
    The Son of a friend, who works in the Film business in LA and is usually hyper critical of most films, thought that this is the best film he has seen in 5 years!! Oscars await.
    I really liked it. It might seem a bit stretched (originally it was a 45 minute radio play with Alex Jennings) but it's actually quite fascinating to see such a detailed acocunt of a really very small incident. Both the leads are excellent and while there's nothing that the most devoted royalist could object to, it does show that the King wasn't the easiest man in the world to deal with. Interesting to see Michael Gambon as George V since he was Edward VII in The Lost Prince (Tom Hollander was George V in that - he can now be seen as Edward VIII in Any Human Heart )

Senior Member Country: UK Dadwasinflame's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Thought it wasnt on general release till 7th Jan

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwasinflame View Post
    Thought it wasnt on general release till 7th Jan
    It was shown at the London Film Festival

Senior Member Country: Australia Kitty Whiskers's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Just came back from seeing this at the cinema and absolutely LOVED it! Certainly Oscar material - Fabulous performances all round. Very witty and enjoyable and terrific chemistry between the leads. Brilliant!

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I saw this clip when a teacher sent it round in case we wanted to use it in class. It's Mark Kermode, who you may find unspeakable but I do think it raises an interesting point about when the word f**k is to be censored and when not. This is not a criticism of either film mentioned (both of which Kermode liked), but is a question about what is apparently acceptable in film dialogue, and why.

As I say, an interesting question; no answer given.

BBC - Mark Kermode's film blog: Speech Class

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    Thank you Captain, I guess a couple of scenes of my favourite historic royal is better than no scenes at all, it seems a little odd her role is completely uncredited on her's and the film's IMDB pages what with Claire being such a well known actress.
    Hi Mark - I'm rather curious as to why Queen Mary is your favourite historic royal.....?

Senior Member Country: Australia Kitty Whiskers's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    I saw this clip when a teacher sent it round in case we wanted to use it in class. It's Mark Kermode, who you may find unspeakable but I do think it raises an interesting point about when the word f**k is to be censored and when not. This is not a criticism of either film mentioned (both of which Kermode liked), but is a question about what is apparently acceptable in film dialogue, and why.

As I say, an interesting question; no answer given.

BBC - Mark Kermode's film blog: Speech Class

I think the difference is pretty obvious. In The King's Speech when Bertie lets rip it's after a lifetime of frustration with a speech impediment and a cloistered life where no one gave a fat rat's bottom about him or his disabilities. I found I felt quite relieved for him to see him get it out of his system, and the audience I saw it with found it very amusing indeed (Colin Firth did it very well).

Other films you have to take case by case. In Nil By Mouth the swearing was toe-curling but appropriate for the film. Deadwood was one of the best TV shows I've ever seen, but I couldn't show it to my Mum for the language. In a lot of the 'Geezer' films I've seen of late, excessive swearing comes across as simply weak writing and poor characterisation - like 12 year-olds playing 'hard man' in their back yards. I saw Catherine Tate (a show I don't find especially funny) dropping the 'f' bomb on a Christmas special, but it didn't make it any more amusing.

I think what I'm trying to say is: it depends on the writing - is it something significant to do with the plot, or is it just laziness from a hack.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast