Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I know this thread is nearly a year old, but I have a question about the running time of this film.

The Monthly Film Bulletin review of July 1968 gave the film length as 12,690 ft and the running time as 141 minutes (these figures are consistent based on the standard formula of 90ft per minute). So we can presumably take this as the correct running time for the theatrical release.

The UK VHS release from Connoisseur had a running time of about 130.5 minutes . As this was a PAL presentation, this is equivalent to a true running time of about 136 minutes (i.e. taking account of the PAL speed-up).

The Connoisseur VHS release did not have the grievous cuts, amounting to about 7 minutes, that disfigured the subsequent DVD editions released by the BFI in the UK and by MGM in the USA. Nevertheless, it appears that it was missing about 5 minutes that appear to have been dropped from the original theatrical release.

Does anyone (Adrian Turner perhaps?) know whether this is the case and if so, what the missing scenes were?

Or was the originally stated running time of 141 minutes incorrect?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Not sure if there has been a satellite-TV showing recently, but the imminent and repeated showings this week on TCM gives the opportunity with the Roadshow Days thread and the recent British TV showings on a historical theme to loot the Rick C archive.

Charge of the Light Brigade (dir.Tony Richardson, TCM Channel Saturday, 9 October, and then in usual TCM rotation)

and including a multi-page promotion in Photoplay(UK) (May 1968)

(Am able to turn the pages of the promo article for further postings at a later date if especially requested-and accompanied by sumptuous offers of wining and dining )

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    Great stuff - I was a reular reader of Photoplay myself for several years around then and still have about a dozen copies - when did it cease publication?

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Those photos and the design are much better than the film itself.

I thought it was terrible - crude, smug, politicized camp.

However with the sound off, it was great to look at.

Liked
    29 times
    I would like to see some more of that promo article if possible.

Liked
    23 times
    I would like to see some more of that promo article if possible.
    In a few days' time I'll start a series of individual postings (one per week?) using the magazine feature as the centrepiece. I can't scan in at the moment, so I need to get the focus right-will forumers want to be able to read the text also?

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    However with the sound off, it was great to look at.
    Must try that- the film might suddenly have become watchable

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Actually I did think John Geilgud was pretty good but agree on all the other points

Liked
    29 times
    In a few days' time I'll start a series of individual postings (one per week?) using the magazine feature as the centrepiece. I can't scan in at the moment, so I need to get the focus right-will forumers want to be able to read the text also?
    Well this forumer woud like that - but as you are the man doing all the work on this, I appreciate whatever you can manage.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I'd sooner see the Errol Flynn version any day - which was vastly more entertaining. Tony Richardson was one of the most overated directors ever. I never liked any of his films. I watched "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" again recently and what a bore that is!

Liked
    4 times
    I have always liked this film and have seen it many times - in fact, I think it's something of an eccentric masterpiece, deeply in period yet also suffused with the modish, 60s taste for satire and ridicule. I first saw it on its premiere run at the Odeon Leicester Square where I bought this souvenir brochure:

Liked
    137 times
    Wow, stunning Adrian

Liked
    29 times
    Yes, it is beautiful to look at. Thanks very much for the detailed pages.

I recall some superb use of animation in it as well. Visually it is dazzling.

But Richardson's secular sermonettes from the Olympian heights are tasteless and demeaning.

It is one thing to look back and see where previous generations were wrong. It is another to maintain a position of smug superiority while mocking and ridiculing them, and dismissing all that was admirable and decent along with the arrogance and villainy.

Liked
    23 times
    Has anyone out there got a copy of "Sight and Sound" for May 1992? My scribbles over the years indicates a major article by Vanessa Redgrave (director Tony Richardson's daughter as we know) and screenwriter Charles Wood regarding the then cinema's (1960's) modern cynical view of history, Charge of the Light Brigade"(1968)in particular.Should we consider this film as a companion piece to Richard Attenborough's "Oh What a Lovely War" in terms of its grandeur a year later?

(Also, am I right in understanding "Britmovie" is going of the air for a while soon owing to another makeover? In which case I'll plan on doing my special-article posting series on "Charge of the Light Brigade" next weekend maybe).

Liked
    23 times
    Owing to overwhelming demand(!) here's the start on its own of the special feature introduced in the first posting of this thread recently.

How's it doing for size everyone out there? There are a further three of these A3 sizes-black and white from now on- to come (or 6 if it means having to do each page individually )

Can ppl get in close enough-or is there even room to move out a bit and get more items in borderwise? Will hang on until I get contact from everyone on Mars for this one

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    Rick C, Vanessa Redgrave was Tony Richardson's wife.

Liked
    23 times
    Gerald, the issue should be that of May 1992 although I can't access many of my old foolscap sized ledgers to check my handwriting all those years ago until I get back to work where I store them all until after the weekend on Monday.

Dojeen, you're probably right. Both my sister and I were born many years before the modern divorce laws came into being with what appears now to be dodgy birth certificates so i'm never clear who's related to who nowadays!

Everyone else(who's waiting for the next instalment of the 1960's photo-article), the change-around this week has thrown me a bit with having been booted off the members list and having to re-register and re-set my computer accordingly with no amount of new passwords. But I'll get there eventually!

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    Gerald, the issue should be that of May 1992 although I can't access many of my old foolscap sized ledgers to check my handwriting all those years ago until I get back to work where I store them all until after the weekend on Monday.

Dojeen, you're probably right. Both my sister and I were born many years before the modern divorce laws came into being with what appears now to be dodgy birth certificates so i'm never clear who's related to who nowadays!

Everyone else(who's waiting for the next instalment of the 1960's photo-article), the change-around this week has thrown me a bit with having been booted off the members list and having to re-register and re-set my computer accordingly with no amount of new passwords. But I'll get there eventually!
    Rick, yes it is May 1992: "Tony Richardson and the Charge of the Light Brigade" by Vanessa Redgrave (4 and a bit pages including photographs) plus another page and a bit on "War Games" by Andy Medhurst.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Can history halt The Charge of the Light Brigade? | Film | guardian.co.uk

John Gielgud plays Lord Raglan as a stiff-upper-lipped commander. In real life, his upper lip was stiffer yet. As is correctly shown in the movie, his arm had to be amputated when he was shot in the elbow with a musket ball at Waterloo. While they sawed his arm off – without anaesthetic, of course – Raglan remained stoically silent. The only comment he made was when they chucked his severed limb into a basket. "Hey, bring my arm back up," he said. "There's a ring my wife gave me on the finger." What a badass.

Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    The interesting thing about this subject, is that when Hollywood made the Errol Flynn version, they were actually going to copyright the historical term Charge Of The Light Brigade. But were told they could not. A lot of people do not know that.

Alan French.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast