Thread: Fright (1971)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I've always thought Peter Collinson was a very neglected director: despite doing Italian Job and Up the Junction, he has never been as celebrated as his films. Fright I think is certainly a very nasty and queasy film but it's remarkably frightening and very very well directed. The camera work is astounding in places, especially in the early sequence as the family are leaving the house, and that extraordinary two shot with Ian Bannen in close up.

The violent and sexual violence is totally gratuitous but it's a film I can never quite shake off the spell of. And Susan George is very very good in it. Anyone agree?

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    Most certainly yes, Pye.

Although it would seem somewhat dated today, it still possesses the quality to keep the viewer glued to the screen.

Fine performances all round and one I recommend to friends quite often.....

Cheers

Sgt S

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    First saw it a few months ago when it was released on dvd.

Thought it was very good - and a nice nod to Hammer as well with Plague of the Zombies on tv.

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Thought Ian Bannen was particularly affective, he has done twitchy in so many films it was nice to see him to twitchy and menacing

Liked
    0 times
    It's just so BLEAK! Bannen is so frightening and the highly strung performances of everyone else really make it nerve jangling viewing. I've always wanted to see this film on the big screen to get the full impact!

Senior Member Country: England duffy moon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember seeing it way back when and was quite unsettled by it.....well I was only about 9 or 10 at that time. With 34 yrs of hindsight, the end does drag on a little, but this must have been less so when it was made as little along these lines had been made around then.

Definitely worth a source out, and watch Susan George in very skimpy skirt, Dennis Waterman avec sideboards supreme, George Cole and Honor Blackman getting it on to some up down and far out Berni Inn hammond organ groove olive and cinzano fizz shape shifting, and Ian Bannen gurning through the net curtains as Rovers and Austins whizz along hedge-rowed 70s lanes in blissful ignorance of the bad times to come just around the cold corner..... ahh, those were the days...3 day week, power cuts, the high chapparal on a Saturday, the big match on a Sunday, Esso garage football coins, grenshield stamps and luncheon vouchers....

Liked
    0 times

I remember seeing it way back when and was quite unsettled by it.....well I was only about 9 or 10 at that time. With 34 yrs of hindsight, the end does drag on a little, but this must have been less so when it was made as little along these lines had been made around then.

Definitely worth a source out, and watch Susan George in very skimpy skirt, Dennis Waterman avec sideboards supreme, George Cole and Honor Blackman getting it on to some up down and far out Berni Inn hammond organ groove olive and cinzano fizz shape shifting, and Ian Bannen gurning through the net curtains as Rovers and Austins whizz along hedge-rowed 70s lanes in blissful ignorance of the bad times to come just around the cold corner..... ahh, those were the days...3 day week, power cuts, the high chapparal on a Saturday, the big match on a Sunday, Esso garage football coins, grenshield stamps and luncheon vouchers....

It certainly isn't a pretty view of 70s Britain is it? I love the dancing in the Plumber Inn. But Christ Bannen is mental in it. That two shot with him on the left of the screen is incredible, I still don't quite know how Collinson shot that!

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times

Yes I remember the "groovy" dancing at the restaurant place.....

And what about the hap-hazard parking out front....blocked the whole street.

Here's a screencap of the lovely Susan and the infamous "biscuit" scene......

Cheers

Sgt S

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes I remember the "groovy" dancing at the restaurant place.....

And what about the hap-hazard parking out front....blocked the whole street.

Here's a screencap of the lovely Susan and the infamous "biscuit" scene......

Cheers

Sgt S

Lovely shot- but remind me Sgt why was the 'infamous biscuit' scene infamous?

Senior Member Country: UK mulberrybushfilmfan's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Just watching it now on horror. How sexy is susan george in this and honor blackman. Cheers.

Liked
    8 times
    I had a good time working on this, as stand-in for Dennis Waterman and driving double for George Cole, Director Peter Collinson, is a really nice man, and as for Susan George, just lovely.

Member Country: England Sangster09's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Ian Bannen spoils the thing for me.Destabilises the whole film.His character started interestingly enough,and then,its as if the director just walked off the set.His performance should have been reined in,and the ending constructed with more imagination.Pity,as I really like this film up to it's bannenisation.