Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Does anyone have this? Bill Maynard was just on TV saying how fondly he remembered working with Celia Johnson. I'd love to see it.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Good [s]morning[/s] afternoon, crunchie. This was broadcast some years before most viewers bought their first video recorders so it will be a miracle if you can obtain a copy. I wish you the best of luck anyway. Ironically, the much-loved Mr. Axelford's Angel, screened a month earlier as part of the same series, IS available on DVD and I'd be as happy as you to see Love Affair released as well. I have the TVTimes listing for you (Anglia region). In case you're wondering, the World Cup match was between Poland (0) and West Germany (1):

Looks like future EastEnders actress Shirley Cheriton was Bill's daughter!

The 2-page Celia Johnson interview includes another photograph with Bill "in the Playhouse presentation". The main one shows Celia with her dog.

Just to prove there's 'No rest for the wicked', I updated the IMDb page for the play earlier, with character names for the first seven actors in that list as well as adding Andrea Lawrence, Freddie Lees and Eric Young to the cast. It's only a few weeks ago since I submitted another credit to Eric's page, an appearance in Man of the World. This is also the second time I've updated production designer James Weatherup's filmography.

While I'm obviously delighted Love Affair exists, there is Bad News concerning the play that ITV broadcast the night before, Willis Hall's Piano Smashers of the Golden Sun - it's "missing", according to LostShows. Jim Norton and Heather Canning among the cast ( ). The previous week's Playhouse, The Couch, also perished - as mentioned at Gary Bond's thread a few days ago - but it appears this wasn't the last one to go. Partisans and Out of Sight, Out of Mind are listed in the 1977-82 series as only being available as "inferior" copies, the latter in black-and-white (1981).

By the way, crunchie, where did you see Bill Maynard? Was this a recent interview? I've been worried about him for years.

Liked
    2 times
    Hi cornershop15,

Many thanks for the wealth of information in your reply to my request. I do hope I can find "Love Affair" one day - I'll let you know if I do.

Bill was in fine fettle when he appeared on The Alan Titchmarsh Show on Friday - you can watch the show on ITV's website here: http://tinyurl.com/332nr5a

Thanks for the TV Times scan - wonderful stuff! (would you have a scan of TV Times from around November 1973 - in particular ATV's "New Faces" where I appeared as part of a musical duo Bokkle Green?).

Liked
    177 times
    I must thank you as well, crunchie. It's nearly always on Sky Sports News here and I keep missing Alan Titchmarsh's shows so I'll watch that as soon as I finish this post.

I remember looking through TVTimes issues from that period before for you but the 'results' were so disappointing that I either forgot or didn't bother to let you know what I've found. Considering this was such a popular show, it's surprising that there are no photographs or details of the acts. Instead, basically the same information is repeated in all four of the November 1973 issues. I'll transcribe the details for the show that was broadcast on the 17th, but it isn't much to get excited about ...

New Faces

DEREK HOBSON

CLEMENT FREUD

[You've also said, at the 'Shut That Door!' thread, that Mary Whitehouse was one of the judges]

New Faces hoping to go places! Derek Hobson introduces the acts which are marked for content, style and presentation by a panel of three celebrity

judges who also offer constructive criticism. Later you, the viewer, have your chance to phone in and have your say. The number to ring is:

Birmingham (021) 622 5244, London and the south (07) 686 8799.

The music director is Johnny Patrick.

DESIGNER JAY CLEMENTS; WRITER TONY HAWES; DIRECTOR PAUL STEWART LAING; PRODUCER LES COCKS

ATV Network Production

I've just had a look at LostShows' page for the programme and found no record of any 1973 editions but there are some notable acts whose work has been lost, among them Sweet Sensation (who had a No. 1 hit with Sad Sweet Dreamer), Lenny Henry, Nicky Martin (impressionist wasn't he?) and Meg Johnson, later Eunice Gee in Coronation Street and now Pearl Ladderbanks in Emmerdale.

You must have crossed paths with Showaddywaddy as they performed on one or more of the November 1973 shows. Dave Bartram is an underrated singer and the group's version of Under the Moon of Love is a classic. All of which has nothing to do with Love Affair, but I liked watching New Faces as a child and especially love the theme tune, sung by The Move's Carl Wayne.

Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful, crunchie. I've searched everywhere and come up with very little.

Liked
    2 times
    WOW - many thanks indeed cornershop15! I'd forgotten I'd already asked you about my New Faces appearance so apologies for that. I do recall that ATV recorded the weekly shows on a Tuesday so I have a vague memory that my appearance was screened on the November 24th (therefore recorded on the 20th). I can't remember who won, but Showaddywaddy weren't on the show or I would have remembered (there's a clip of them on the December 1973 New Faces here: http://tinyurl.com/362mweq). Clifford Davis was also on the panel. There was a unicyclist and at least one comic. Mary Whitehouse commented on my act: "well, anything that comes from Wolverhampton must be good" (?!!) It's a shame they haven't kept many editions of this show (I only have the 1976 All-Winners show on DVD). There was also a "Making Of" documentary shown around 1974 which showed some auditions - I'd love to see this. Here's a nostalgic webpage about the show: http://tinyurl.com/33fdl82 The 1973 series in which I appeared was taped at ATV Centre (Studio One) in Broad Street, Birmingham, while the later Marti Caine series came from the Birmingham Hippodrome Theatre.

I envy your collection of TV magazines - I remember once visiting our local newspaper office looking for an article from the 1950's and they handed me a huge folder to look through containing copies of every one of their editions from 1950 and all in order - I was in my element!!

Liked
    177 times
    Hello again crunchie,

This is just to thank you for telling me about Bill Maynard's appearance on The Alan Titchmarsh Show exactly a week ago. I did indeed see the programme on the ITV Player soon after you alerted me to it and thought he was a great guest. He deserved to be interviewed for the whole hour. After a particularly grim week for deaths (including Norman Wisdom. Malcolm Allison, Simon MacCorkindale and now Graham Crowden), it was very heartening to see 'Old Bill' in such good form. Love Affair must have gone over everyone's heads when he mentioned it but just listening to him talking about Celia Johnson and Colin Wellend's Kisses at Fifty was one of my highlights of the year - the Ryder Cup win being another!

I haven't finished with this thread yet. When I get the chance, I will attempt to enlarge the other photo I have of Bill and Celia and post that and, elsewhere, a New Faces preview that includes the aforementioned Clifford Davis, probably at 'Some Memories of TV'.

Kindest Regards,

Cornershop

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I'm intrigued about Bokkle Green now crunchie - do tell us more! The only Google results are your posts seeking this show

Liked
    2 times
    LOL - didi5 - thanks for your interest! Basically, Bokkle Green was a short-lived musical act comprising me on a Vox Continental Organ & Crumar Electric Piano, and my friend, Graeme Green (Thompson) on drums, We sang a simple uptempo song I'd written called "Just Fine" and it went down quite well with the judges and audience. I remember winking at the camera and, when watching the ATV broadcast 4 days later, thinking "what a berk!". I also remember - in rehearsal - telling someone from the orchestra (Johnny Patrick?) that I didn't like their orchestration so they walked away while tearing up the sheet music they'd done!

Liked
    2 times
    Hello cornershop15, I'm glad you enjoyed the Bill Maynard TV appearance.

Liked
    2 times
    Hi cornershop15 - the 1974 "Making Of New Faces" has been found! Kaleidoscope have it so hopefully it will get a screening at a future Kaleidoscope event:-

After All I’ve Been Through (behind the scenes on the making of New Faces) (ATV) tx: 12/08/1974. Arthur Askey, Paul Stewart Laing, Tony Hatch, Mickey Most, Clifford Davis and Francis Mallon.

The full list of recently discovered shows can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/3x8l4yk

Liked
    177 times
    Great news, crunchie. Personally speaking, I would rather be in a time warp that took me back to 1974 than see New Faces on DVD.

I can't bear The X Factor, one of it's many Saturday evening 'replacements' over the years, and prefer this (now all deceased) panel:

A TVTimes listing from 1975. I didn't know at the time that Mickie Most had produced The Animals and Herman's Hermits.

Thanks for the link. I've seen that list somewhere else (possibly an online Daily Mail article) and am particularly excited about The Wednesday Play Auto-Stop as I was devastated to learn, while researching Bettine Le Beau's filmography, that it was reported as "missing" at LostShows. My grief was more to do with the frustration of missing out on a production that stars David Hemmings and cult favourite Katharine Schofield. This question applies to Love Affair as well as Auto-Stop: Can we look forward to a DVD release of such plays when even what's left of Armchair Theatre is not guaranteed? It's wonderful to know so much has been found anyway.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Cornershop.

If I remember correctly Mickie Most and Tony Hatch were the 'Simon Cowells' of the day.

But it was all done with dignity and respect for the contestant, that is they were not interested in exploiting or humiliating the contestant as the X Factor arguably does today.

Most and Hatch were the "boo, hiss" villians amongst the viewers but (say) telling a 65 year old in Moss Bros suit he was never going to be rock star for example was perhaps just being cruel to be kind and saved the poor fellow from future disappointment?